Iowa Statewide Interoperability Communication System (ISICS)

Guldnerk

Premium Subscriber
So I finally have a computer with two dongles and sdrtrunk running. Liking it a lot. One of the things I haven't figured out yet though is the "long" user ID numbers. Most user IDs are seven digits or less. Like Ida County dispatch is 4799992. Some are much shorter than that. Troopers (351 in this case) have unit IDs like 11351. But sometimes a unit ID (I think) comes up that seems to be for admin functions or something -- I've never heard them talking. But something like 16777213 - 8 digits - will show up. Anyone know what that is? Also, a few more strange numbers pop up. Not sure if they're similar to unit IDs or talkgroups -- but 49516. What's that? Comes up often. And 65535. Any clues?
If you are using proscan I would set ISICS to record all and I believe it will record channels you don't have programmed but don't quote me on that. I have come across ids like that and couldn't identify so you are not alone. If you can figure them out you can always submit them for addition or review.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
So I finally have a computer with two dongles and sdrtrunk running. Liking it a lot. One of the things I haven't figured out yet though is the "long" user ID numbers. Most user IDs are seven digits or less. Like Ida County dispatch is 4799992. Some are much shorter than that. Troopers (351 in this case) have unit IDs like 11351. But sometimes a unit ID (I think) comes up that seems to be for admin functions or something -- I've never heard them talking. But something like 16777213 - 8 digits - will show up. Anyone know what that is? Also, a few more strange numbers pop up. Not sure if they're similar to unit IDs or talkgroups -- but 49516. What's that? Comes up often. And 65535. Any clues?
16,777,216-ish RIDs are possible (0-FFFFFF). 65,535 talk groups are possible (0-FFFF). 65535 is essentially an "all-call" talk group, meaning that a radio that selects tg 65535 will hear traffic meant for (more or less and excluding encryption) any talk group on the system. Statewide systems tend to assign block of RIDs to counties, localities, state agencies, etc.

MCWKen

TG 49516 is from Jackson County. Most likely a roaming talkgroup. We have many RID's above the normal seven digit limit.
DeWitt Ambulance - operated by Genisis Health, has RIDs of 15001014 with the control operator of 15001000. CIPCO, a local utility, has RID's in the 1500153 to 1500133. Other users with 8 digit RID's are TIP Rural Electric, an encrypted Medical service in the Quad Cities, and of course, Iowa Air National Guard. And there are countless State of Iowa TG's with four digit RID's, mainly for departments such as Department of Corrections parole officers, DPS agents of all sorts, and other departmenets of State. Those RID's are within RIDs 3800 to 4200.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Hearing Des Moines Co law enforcement will be switching later this year to ISICS
There's only one ISICS site currently in the county. If they want 95/95 portable on-street (and perhaps critical building) coverage, they will need to have more RF sites.

radioboy75

Premium Subscriber
Does DPS still use T-numbers for the former DOT Enforcement cars? I know they are now part of the State Patrol. Do they just have regular numbers now like the troopers (since they are troopers, essentially), or do they still go by their T-numbers (Like T-432, or whatever)? The reason I ask is I don't think I've heard T cars lately, but I have heard trooper numbers above 500, and I don't think they ever had trooper numbers that high before . . . Does anyone know for sure?

Guldnerk

Premium Subscriber
I haven't heard a T car in along time. I also have the DOT talkgroups in and never hear them on it. Only hearing regular numbers on 2D,3D,4D, 2A,5C.
I haven't heard anything in over a year from the DOT MVE. The only DOT I ever hear anything on are the DOT Maintenance trucks.

mws72

Premium Subscriber
State Patrol Radio Techs in Des Moines used to use numbers above 500. I want to say that was a while ago in the early 9-'s is the last time I heard them locally in Post 12. I never heard MVE on the old High Band DOT rptrs either analog or digital. I only heard them on 155.970 or DPS Base.

ISW376

Premium Subscriber
MVE officers no longer identify with T they use normal numbers now and are concidered state troopers but prioritze Commercial vehicles. 306 in district 12 is a MVE certified officer. Iowa new law has made them troopers it's just a question for whether or not they are trained in CMV enforcement.

radioboy75

Premium Subscriber

Link to article...
I was aware they are now considered troopers. I just didn't know how they identified on the radio. (I had a guess since I hadn't heard T-cars in a while) But it makes sense that they have regular trooper numbers. The only thing is, the ISICS system had a radio ID block set aside for DOT MVE officers, so I wondered if those who were trained for MVE still had those radio ID's on their radios. (It would be one way to check if they're MVE certified or just a regular trooper...)

radioboy75

Premium Subscriber
State Patrol Radio Techs in Des Moines used to use numbers above 500. I want to say that was a while ago in the early 9-'s is the last time I heard them locally in Post 12. I never heard MVE on the old High Band DOT rptrs either analog or digital. I only heard them on 155.970 or DPS Base.
The radio techs I knew all had numbers in the 900 series.

timsheff

Premium Subscriber
I was aware they are now considered troopers. I just didn't know how they identified on the radio. (I had a guess since I hadn't heard T-cars in a while) But it makes sense that they have regular trooper numbers. The only thing is, the ISICS system had a radio ID block set aside for DOT MVE officers, so I wondered if those who were trained for MVE still had those radio ID's on their radios. (It would be one way to check if they're MVE certified or just a regular trooper...)
Was just talking to my friend this weekend that was MVE, and is now Tooper 197......

radioboy75

Premium Subscriber
Over the weekend, I did hear someone identify as "T-XXX" whatever the number was. But it may have been an old-habits-die-hard situation. Kind of like a while back I heard a trooper call the name of a tower that no longer exists to call state radio... (Matlock in this case)