• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

iPod Questions ? ? ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

safetyobc

I am looking at selling/trading my Pro-2055 with programming cable to get an iPod and have a few questions for those of you who have them or had one in the past.

1. Can I use it with my Windows XP Computer?
  2. Can I take songs off of my CDs and put them on the iPod?
  3. Can I use my current MP3 files I have downloaded (all legally) on the iPod?
  4. Do I have to use iTunes to get my music?
  5. What are PodCasts and do they cost anything to download?

Thanks for any info you can offer.

msingewald

Premium Subscriber
1. Yes
2. Yes with ITunes
3. Yes
4. Not to get the music, but I do believe you need it to put music on the iPod
5. Never used them, can't help you there

Kirk

DB Admin
safetyobc said:
Thanks for the info.

K, if I download (purchase) from iTunes. Can I also burn that file to a CD if I wanted?
Yes. And podcasts can be either free or pay. Most are free.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
safetyobc said:
[*]What are PodCasts and do they cost anything to download?

The podcasts and now video podcasts are free. Through iTunes, they offer a huge selection. You can also get podcasts directly from many websites that offer it i.e. news sites, etc.

Yes, you can burn the songs to CDs as many times as you want. The only "catch" is that you can only burn a particular 'playlist' or use a particular order of the songs for 7 times or burns. Then you have the small inconvenience of creating a new playlist to change the order of the songs or at least 1 song to a different order i.e. take the first song and make it the second or third one this time and you can start burning away again.

It might sound a little weird to have to do that but that's mostly due to the copyright agreements and such I guess and not something Apple decided to implement for the heck of it.

Dollar for dollar, iTunes/iPod/Apple are still the best way to buy and manage your music digitally. Most other music services so far, you can only "rent" the music and as soon as you stop paying the mandatory monthly fee, the music stops working.

Then again, I don't know how other music buying services work as of lately and if they have lessen their "restrictions", but I haven't had a need to check them out either! ;) :)

safetyobc

I was going to get a BCD996T (should be coming into a little $$ in a couple months). But I think I am going to get an iPod 30GB instead.

I can't see me needing the full 60GB anytime in the near future. 30GB should be more than enough for me.

Anyone own a 30GB iPod? How do you like it.

thanks for all the responses.

kikito said:
The podcasts and now video podcasts are free. Through iTunes, they offer a huge selection. You can also get podcasts directly from many websites that offer it i.e. news sites, etc.
Not exactly. Whether a podcast is free or not depends on who is producing it. I subscribe to a "podcast" that is indeed a "pay" subscription. There are many out there that do indeed require a payment.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
firescannerbob said:
Not exactly. Whether a podcast is free or not depends on who is producing it. I subscribe to a "podcast" that is indeed a "pay" subscription. There are many out there that do indeed require a payment.
Yep, I guess that's true.

I was mostly referring to iTunes offerings, which now begs the question: Are all of iTunes podcasts free? I haven't run into any "pay" ones yet through iTunes...

kikito

Premium Subscriber
safetyobc said:
Anyone own a 30GB iPod? How do you like it.

thanks for all the responses.
Yep, I have a 30GB Video one. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!

This is my third iPod. I didn't buy this one for the video capabilities but now that I started using it with video podcasts and some TV shows: I'm hooked!

I haven't put a full length movie in there yet but I have a few free pilot shows like the new Blade series that run about an hour and a half and take just under 500MB which I think is pretty good.

The battery life, even using the videos, is pretty good. They claim 15 to 20 hours so even if you get 2 thirds of that, it's still decent.

musicman476

RR DB Admin
Database Admin
The docking station isn't required, but it's nice if you want to watch any of your videos on a regular TV. The dock also usually has an audio out jack, too. If you don't have the dock, you can still connect the iPod to your computer via the included USB cable.

This may be obvious, but the #1 accessory you should look for first is a good case for your iPod. There are ton of them out there, so look around and check out the reviews at www.ilounge.com . Other than a case, you may want to invest in nice set of earbuds other than the cheap ones that are included. A car dock might be a good idea if you want to listen to it in the truck. I wouldn't recommend the FM-transmitter types of car docks because the audio quality is often not very good.

I've had my 30G iPod for about 9 months now and love it! The first unit I bought was a dud, but the new one works great. I love being able to download movies & TV shows on it while I'm traveling, too.

Best of luck! Let us know if we can be of further help.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
safetyobc said:
If I get the 30 or 60, do I need the docking station? If so what for?

What other accessories are good to have?
Here's a few basics you might want:

1. The AC cube adapter (even though you can charge it through the USB cable on the computer)

2. The car DC adapter

3. Either a wireless or cassette tape adapter to play it in your car

4. A carrying case to protect the "precious"

kikito said:
Yep, I guess that's true.

I was mostly referring to iTunes offerings, which now begs the question: Are all of iTunes podcasts free? I haven't run into any "pay" ones yet through iTunes...
No. iTunes is merely the delivery method. It's still up to the provider of the content whether there is a fee or not.

safetyobc

Cool. I think it is settled. I downloaded the iTunes thingy and started browsing, WOW! There is so many podcasts, music, videos, etc.

I am definately scrubbing the 996 and getting an iPod Video. Now to decide 30 or 60? I was thinking that I had planned on purchasing the 996 for $519, I could drop $399 on the 60GB plus another $30 or so for accessories. Can someone put in perspective the difference 30 and 60.

I was browsing the Apple store and will likely just add a case to the cart when I purchase. It will likely be 30 to 60 days before I have the $$$$. So I have time to do some research. I like the iPod over it's "competitors" because of the podcasts and iTunes.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
musicman476 said:
The docking station isn't required, but it's nice if you want to watch any of your videos on a regular TV. The dock also usually has an audio out jack, too. If you don't have the dock, you can still connect the iPod to your computer via the included USB cable.
Speaking of docks, I have the DLO HomeDock Deluxe and I love it too! ($50 on eBay)

This one let's you control the whole iPod through your TV with an included remote by way of menus. It even goes into a 'screen saver' mode that keeps an alternating display of the artist, song etc. on the TV screen as it plays.

A previous dock I had (the plain DLO HomeDock) would only let you play the videos on the TV and audio through the stereo. So watch out when looking for a dock and make sure it does what you expect.

safetyobc said:
I like the iPod over it's "competitors" because of the podcasts and iTunes.
You can download podcasts without an actual Ipod or iTunes...I do it all lthe time with a competitors mp3 player.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
safetyobc said:
Can someone put in perspective the difference 30 and 60.
Well, including the obvious, here's a few:

The 60GB is/has:

1. Twice the storage
2. More expensive
3. Slightly thicker
4. Slightly heavier
5. Slightly longer battery life

You can go to the Apple website and actually look at a side by side comparison chart that shows exactly the differences too.

I like the iPod over it's "competitors" because of the podcasts and iTunes.
The versatility, ease of use and great design of the iPod/iTunes combination is hard to beat.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
firescannerbob said:
No. iTunes is merely the delivery method. It's still up to the provider of the content whether there is a fee or not.
I understand what you're saying and I know what iTunes is (been using it for years). What I'm saying is that I've been looking in the iTunes 'Podcast Directory' and I still haven't seen any podcasts that you need to pay for. I'm sure there's other sources that have the 'pay' podcasts but it seems that all of iTunes offerings are free unless someone knows off the top of their head of some that aren't (in iTunes that is).

safetyobc

Memory:

I will have to research this and decide. If I go with the 30, I'll get a few more accessories. If I go with the 60, I'll likely only get a case. 7500 songs is an awful lot of music. I am sure that number is reduced by video, pod videos, etc. right?

Batteries:

How long does the factory battery last? What I mean is the expected life span of the battery under normal use? Not how long it will last on a charge, but how long until it goes out completely. If it does go out, are they easy to replace?

I see the external battery packs available that use AA batteries which might be a good idea to get if I use it a lot.

thanks, you guys have been a huge help!

kikito

Premium Subscriber
safetyobc said:
If I go with the 60, I'll likely only get a case. 7500 songs is an awful lot of music. I am sure that number is reduced by video, pod videos, etc. right?
Yes. Also that claimed amount of songs is using the MP4 AAC Apple codec.

How long does the factory battery last? What I mean is the expected life span of the battery under normal use? Not how long it will last on a charge, but how long until it goes out completely. If it does go out, are they easy to replace?
A lot of it has to do with the conditions and usage but to put it in perspective, I have a third generation that I bought 2 or 3 years ago that I calculate it still has at least 60% or so of it's original capacity. Never had to replace one yet, but I've seen where they sell the battery replacement kits with instructions and/or any tools needed, etc. If it's still under warranty when your battery craps out, obviously you should send it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.