Irvington Twp Poss Trunked System

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiefjohnson

Irvington Twp has contracted Pinnacle of NJ to conduct a study on switching from their current two channel conventional (recently re-banded) outdated & overworked system to Digital trunking. As of now they only use 4 of the 15 channels they are licensed for. Originally set to go trunked when they first went online from low band to 800 Mhz in 1989 they shockingly ran out of money back then. Updates to be announced

ansky

Irvington Twp has contracted Pinnacle of NJ to conduct a study on switching from their current two channel conventional (recently re-banded) outdated & overworked system to Digital trunking.

I wouldn't call it overworked. For a town with as much crime as Irvington I have found their PD channel to be surprisingly quiet. I think the town would be better off investing in more police officers, rather than a new radio system. Now in Newark, those freq's are overworked.

Last edited:

kenisned

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't call it overworked. For a town with as much crime as Irvington I have found their PD channel to be surprisingly quiet. I think the town would be better off investing in more police officers, rather than a new radio system. Now in Newark, those freq's are overworked.

Sounds reasonable.

I'm amazed that there is money for this?

Tac-1

Far i know Irvington has only two 800mhz freq the rest are 800 interop channels which they can not use for there private use so the will have to get some more freq at least 2 more for a TRS which would give 3 voice channels & 1 control

Tech792

Irvington quiet? Maybe you're not getting their signal all the time. They have robberies, shootings and car chases almost nightly and the occassional murder a few times per month. They even have a tactical NJSP unit that operates there.

chiefjohnson

True

They average around 22-30 murders a year for a 2.0 square mile town. The other 800 freq's are being re-designated to be used for trs as we speak. They use their Ch 1 for dispatch operations and Ch2 for warrant lookups etc. The street crime unit works off of a NJSP talkgroup assigned to the Irvington Metro unit. Narcotics and other units have been using nextels which isn't always practical.

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
Irvington, like the rest of the state is pretty much broke. But its just typical of local government here in NJ to waste money on something that would be nice to have. And if they must have a trunked system, why can't they get together with Montclair, or even West Orange. They both have trunked systems of their own. And West Orange is contemplating a replacment for their present EDACS system. Or maybe try to use the Essex county system. Now theres a system thats underused.

npd155

They need to do a little upgrading over there... half the officers are still using the first STX portable (1990's 800 mhz only) Its the old "brick" radios.

mondaro

Feed Provider
Once Chrisite gets in there won't be a pot to piss in so they can do all the studies they want there won't be any money for it and you can forget about grants too. Also hasn't pinnancle screwed up enough of radio systems around the state already latest mess the NJ Highway Authority Radio system which continues to has its problems.

C

comsec1

political connections??

Will pinnicle have the same connections with the new Gov.?? and as mondaro said there is no money for this or for the maintanence costs of a trunked system although they might try to use the never-ending pot of grant money for "interoperability" to upgrade their radios. past performance of a "connected" company can not be used when state of NJ contracts are concerned as anyone on the inside knows a "connected" company can do no wrong and the number of loopholes written into these contracts can not be counted with the aid of a computer. Irvingtons conventional channels started performing poorly right after they were completed rebanding, Gee I wonder what company did it for them??

chiefjohnson

True

You are right. Pinnacle did the rebanding for sure. They already received the grant for the upgrade believe it or not. They have been doing construction on the first floor of their hq for the new communications center to replace the old original centracom-2 2 position console on the 2nd floor. They are still using about half of the fleet with MX800 portables which are the old STX radios the NJSP first used back in the day. It was only a year ago that they purchased the last of the HT1000 left on Motorola's shelf. Such a joke. They are also exploring the option(s) of digital turbo technology with multiple recieve sites in town versus the now single sight nightmare on Linden Ave which Pinnacle has put absolutely no lightning protection anywhere whatsoever. Will be interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.