Is Irwindale really going with LASD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

karldotcom

I heard that the City of Irwindale couldnt pay the cost of living increase proposed by the Irwindale PD union and that they were contracting with LASD on July 1. All I can find was that they asked for a cost analysis, not an actual decision....does anyone have any updated info?

Delldell26

All I have heard is that Irwindale PD officers refused to take a paycut to help balance the city budget, but all other city departments had agreed to the paycut. In response the city asked for a cost analysis from LASD but I do not think an agreement has been reached. It may just be a ploy to get the PD to agree to the paycut by playing hardball.

jrholm

When LASD contracts with a city there is a several stage process involved, it also requires public input and the approval of both the city council and county board of supervisors. There is no way they could make that happen by July 1.

sdhof

Board of Sups Extorting Cities

I would be surprised if Irwindale, or any other city for that matter, would switch over to the County now, with the latest strong-arm stunt the Board of Supervisors pulled on the existing contract cities.

To recap, a deputy was accused (and subsequently convicted) of 3 sexual assaults in Compton, and the plaintiff claim of (only) $800,000 was rejected by the geniuses at the County. The subsequent lawsuit was awarded at 6 million! So the County thought it would be a good idea to swipe that money form the city's contingency fund. The city's sued. The County, lead by Molina and Antonovich, threatened to pull the deputies, and in fact all county services (libraries, senior services, etc) out of the cicites if they didn't drop the lawsuit and sign an agreement to assume 50% of the liability for these in the future. Pure political extortion, plain and simple, but effective. Everybody but Cerritios blinked and folded.

Cerritos, like our city, already provides their own library, senior center, dial a ride, etc, so no big loss. State law requires the sheriff must still respond to 911 calls in Cerritos, but they don't have to patrol. I guess they are looking at a municipal model.

The County has removed one of the significant cost savings factors from the mix, and many of the citied currently contracting with the sheriff are looking at ways to replace them over time.

jrholm

sdhof I've discussed this with multiple city council members in various cities. The initial response is always why are we paying for these mistakes in other cities. After I've reminded them of basic insurance principales, they have always come around.

Nobody wants to pay for somebody elses mistakes. But when you make them realize they are all sharing in the expense and those same people will be there to help when the shoe is on the other foot they usually come around.

Status
Not open for further replies.