• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Is It Gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tampabaynews

Premium Subscriber
I mean, come on, it was only a matter of time. The site was BEGGING to make enemies and it looks like they pissed off the wrong person. I was a member, the site had lots of great information, but I had no desire to interact with most of the people on there. All those years of insulting others finally did them in. It's slightly hilarious.

kayn1n32008

I mean, come on, it was only a matter of time. The site was BEGGING to make enemies and it looks like they pissed off the wrong person. I was a member, the site had lots of great information, but I had no desire to interact with most of the people on there. All those years of insulting others finally did them in. It's slightly hilarious.

And your post shows you never could actually understand what that site was about, and why so many RR members had difficulty with them...

Mars_P25

Premium Subscriber

We were "begging" to make enemies, because the moderation team took a strict stance to enforce the fact the site was a resource for radio professionals?

Let me guess: you didn't qualify, intellectually, for membership?

RayAir

Communications Support was a good forum.

It provided in depth information on various topics not seen elsewhere.

What happened to cause it to shut down?

Thank you to the many members there for your hard work and contributions.

kayn1n32008

We were "begging" to make enemies, because the moderation team took a strict stance to enforce the fact the site was a resource for radio professionals?

Let me guess: you didn't qualify, intellectually, for membership?
Curiosity, whay was the final sraw Mars?

gtaman

Curiosity, whay was the final sraw Mars?
Could be many reasons. I really think poor Motorola needed the government to step in to save their arses. The forum was an excellent. Yes the members/ moderators were very strict about stupidity but it was for a good reason. They were never out to take money from Motorola or other venders. They actually assisted in support. I know over my time being on there I learned so much about troubleshooting and improving many models of radios and software. They really knew their stuff hands down! It's sad to see it go. I hope someday it comes back in some way or form.

Matt

Jay911

Disappointing. I found the forum useful, and not really any more tightly run than some other forums I've been on.

Mars or anyone else who can offer help - IIRC there was a thread on there a couple months ago about making sense of Motorola's arbitrary numbers in terms of RSSI values. Does anyone have even just a summary of what was discussed in that thread? I was hoping to refer to it this afternoon, but am apparently a day too late. :(

wx5uif

Premium Subscriber
I figured the formula out over there. Let me see if I still have the excel sheet on my PC at home later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kayn1n32008

Looks like the writing is on the wall for Motorola... Hopefully whom ever picks up the pieces of that company actually understand customer service.

wx5uif

Premium Subscriber
Disappointing. I found the forum useful, and not really any more tightly run than some other forums I've been on.

Mars or anyone else who can offer help - IIRC there was a thread on there a couple months ago about making sense of Motorola's arbitrary numbers in terms of RSSI values. Does anyone have even just a summary of what was discussed in that thread? I was hoping to refer to it this afternoon, but am apparently a day too late. :(
Motorola RSSI to -dBm

-dBm = ((Mot RSSI - 6) / 2) - 130

wx5uif

Premium Subscriber
Are you sure it isn't +6 as opposed to -6?
Based on what someone that did some testing coming up with the dBm to RSSI values, it would be -6.

I don't remember who it was on CS forum, but someone tested several points.

-130 6
-100 66
-70 126
-50 166

RFI-EMI-GUY

The entire site is backed up, compressed and encrypted, stored securely in several places. Who knows what the future holds, but for now, it will remain closed.

(snip)
I certainly hope the site can be restored to its former glory. Maybe it could be reopened as a closed forum with membership vetted by past behavior and performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.