• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Is it possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pointman1177

Okay in my part of michigan almost all of the local police departments around here have switched over to the dark side of digital communication. I have an amateur tech license and have a friend who is good at programming motorolas. My question is this....

Can I get a motorola astro and program it to recieve only most of my local PDs on the digital apco 25 800mhz system? is it feasable within reason? I want a budget digital scanner with the output that only motorola has.

Can I program it with RSS?

does anyone have this kind of setup I am anxious to hear about the possibilities. I think it would be a great experience to do this.

Thank you in advance!

W2NJS

Unless you have the system key, which the agencies will not give you, you can't receive trunked digital transmissions by their particular talkgroups. You can do it by using a digital trunking scanner, however.

pointman1177

thank you for the responses and I am sorry to have basically double posted I had tried to find evidence that someone obviously thought of the concept years ago but apparently didn't look hard enough.

Thanks again

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Hey no problem, it's very logical to want to use commercial radios for their advantages but it's really tricky, as you'll read.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

"Dark side" of digital?

A GRE scanner does fine with MPSCS. Granted the PSR-800 handles simulcast areas better than the 500 or 600, or their RS clones. The scanners also allow a much larger scan list, as others will have noted.

Status
Not open for further replies.