Is Miami Dade Police still in the clear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jad648

I used to listen to Miami Dade Police Dept for years until they switched to a new radio system in late 2014 or early 2015. I believe it's a PL25 system. Last year, I read that they had problems with the new system and went back to clear transmissions for a while.

Can anyone in this forum advise if Miami Dade Police is still transmitting in the clear, and if so, how will I be able to program the new frequencies? I have a GRECOM PSR-500 Scanner. I used to program using the databases in RadioReference.com in conjuction with the ARC500 programming software. Problem is that I have no clue how to program the new frequencies or talkgroups. If possible, I'd love to resume listening to the MDPD frequencies.

Any advice or assistance will be greatly appreciated.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Premium Subscriber
Still in the clear. Just program site 102 and the talk groups that don't have an E next to them in the database.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jad648

Thank you very much for the info. I programmed the frequencies and talkgroups without the E and I can see that they were uploaded to my scanner. However, the transmissions come in garbled and for the most part unintelligible. The words cannot be understood. Do I need to do something else in the programming or is my scanner not capable of receiving this type of transmissions?

This is very typical with the way they set up their system.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

jad648

So, there is no solution for this problem? Will a newer generation scanner be able to receive the transmissions clearly?

blackbelter

MD new radio system is difficult to monitor if you reside outside of the dade county. What scanner are you using to monitor?

jad648

MD new radio system is difficult to monitor if you reside outside of the dade county. What scanner are you using to monitor?

I'm using a GRE PSR-500 - I live in Miami Dade County, in the southwest area of the county. The signal strength bars show that I'm getting great signal. I can see the LED light coming on when the scanner stops on a transmitting talkgroup and I can hear bits and pieces of chopped up conversations, but none of the talkgroups come in clear. I followed the instructions of the previous poster and programmed Site 102 and the talkgroups that were not encrypted. I tried the attenuator feature but when I activate it, I don't even get any talkgroups to come on and I don't see any LED lights either.

Do you know if a newer generation scanner would do better at receiving these transmissions? Is anyone else able to pick up these transmissions?

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately no. I've used a PSR-800, the Whistler WS-1098 and a Uniden 536. All suffer from a Liner Simulcast distortion. I use a radio to monitor it.

gcopter1

It's very hard to solve the garbled reception with Simulcast systems. Try different antennas, squelch settings and band defaults. Right now I'm using a Uniden 436, which is a portable, and a Radio Shack 800 MHz antenna indoors in a mobile home. I've found out that varying the squelch setting from 0 to 2, between indoors and outside and changing the band defaults to WFM, I can receive about 95% of the transmissions, clearly, although I miss some replies. Don't know the Whistler product, however, do look up in the Yahoo Groups for SEFLORIDA, dedicated to the scanner community in this area of the State.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Premium Subscriber
The only program with the Harris radios is the cost of the RPM software to program it. But that is a solution.

Tracker

Damn, so it's not my PSR 800! I hadn't used it in a few years n now it doesn't pick up Miami Dade county....
Is there another scanner that is better suited for this....?
Since GRE's aren't being made anymore.....

gcopter1

Damn, so it's not my PSR 800! I hadn't used it in a few years n now it doesn't pick up Miami Dade county....

Is there another scanner that is better suited for this....?

Since GRE's aren't being made anymore.....

If you want to stay in the GRE family, checkout the new Whistler's. They're coming out now with two new scanners that will do DMR and a "promise" to also do NXDN. On the Uniden side, the BCD436Hp and the 536 models, are the latest and greatest and the best models for Miami Dade P25.

gcopter1

Yes, those are Harris radios. One of them sells you the radio , including programming, and the other one just offers the programming. If you want to listen to MD, the P7100E, is all you need.

Tracker

Yes, those are Harris radios. One of them sells you the radio , including programming, and the other one just offers the programming. If you want to listen to MD, the P7100E, is all you need.

From where would I buy it? Programmed? N how much $ would that run me?
Receive only......I hope!

Status
Not open for further replies.