Is The Antenna Farm a good company?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlaskaMike

I have to wonder if the larger places like AES, HRO and Universal Radio have a contract with UPS which precludes them shipping with anyone else.

Personally, I'll choose the little guy over the big box store in a heartbeat, even if their ordering process isn't quite as polished. Universal Radio is a perfect example of a very polished appearance but absolutely abysmal customer service. Two bad experiences in a row ensures I'll never order anything from them again.

keithwaycaster

Premium Subscriber
Positive Experience

Ordered a fender mount kit and a Larsen 2 meter antenna from these guys last week. Iplaced my order at night and the next day my order had shipped and I had a tracking number in my eMail box. I paid for the express mail shipping through the USPS. The order arrived within the time frame it should have and it contained everything I ordered when I opened the package. I had a question about the order and I sent an eMail and got a response quickly. Seems like a solid vendor to me, made me glad I was doing business with a small American business. Will do business with the Antenna Farm again.

73 - KD8ZPI

k6cpo

Hi Guys,

I am getting the Icom 2200H and looking at purchasing some software from The Antenna Farm, their software and cable seems a lot cheaper than most dealers, are they legit dealers?

Anyone used their software and cables with out problems?

Thanks.

I have the RT Systems software for the Icom Ic-2200H and it is very easy to use and the cable works great. Have a look at the link below. I like there software so much I have it for all my radios. The nice thing about the icom cable is it will work for all of the icom radios I have. No need to buy cables for every radio.

Radio Programming Software | Icom Radio Software | Cloning Software

I have no experience with Antenna Farm, but I can wholeheartedly recommend the RT Systems products. The only big issue with RT is that you have to use their cables with their software. Other cables will not work.

Personally, I'd be wary of other cables, especially those made in China as some have been shipped with counterfeit chips and won't work at all.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I have no experience with Antenna Farm...
While this thread is still going, you are replying to posts that were made over two years ago.

The software and USB cable that The Antenna Farm sell for the Icom IC-2200 is $49.95. The software and USB cable for that radio from RT Systems is $49.00. Not much difference in price.

The Antenna Farm says that their programming software for IC-2200 is "Manufactured by: ICOM". Icom did produce programming software for this radio under the part number "CS-2200" and The Antenna Farm is using the same part number. If I purchased this software from The Antenna Farm and it was not on an OEM Icom CD, I'd return it for a refund.

The programming cable that The Antenna Farm is selling for the IC-2200 is similar in function to the Icom OPC-478UC. That cable, by itself, goes for $49.95 from other dealers while the "OPC-478UC replacement" that The Antenna Farm sells is $29.95. My guess is that The Antenna Farm's cable is a copy of the OEM Icom cable. If it has an FTDI chip in it, it would probably work fine (but not with the RT Systems software). Kawamall sells a similar cable for $15.50, but they don't say what chip is uses. Valley Enterprises also sells a similar cable for $23.95 which does have an FTDI chip.

Let's try to keep the thread on topic of experiences with The Antenna Farm.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Never had a problem ordering antennas through them. I've since fine to Hutton or Tessco for that though.

PACNWDude

I never changed my order, but The Antenna Farm supplied me with several power supplies that were shipped fast, well packaged, and for less than HRO and Tessco could with a company account discount. I will continue to order through them.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Great experince again

Ordered a Yaesu MH-48 from AntennaFarm last Wednesday night at dinner because mine crapped out. $24.99 and free shipping, whereas HRO and AES wanted $59.99

It was shipped the same day and I got it today. Cannot beat that, tracking number was provided the following day.

cbehr91

Premium Subscriber
Reviving this thread.

Going on 7 days after ordering a PCTEL mobile antenna and not yet got it and also reading the negative experiences with TAT I'm regretting it too. I got an email either the day I ordered it or the day after saying the antenna was shipped with a tracking number.

I'm apprehensive to start emailing given other members' "history" with the owner. Three years ago I ordered another mobile antenna with them and don't remember slow shipping.

We'll see, but I don't have a great feeling.

AlaskaMike

If they gave you a tracking number, did you look it up? At that point it's not in the hands of the retailer anymore--if it's delayed then your gripe is with the shipper, not the retailer.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
More often than not, they are very slow to ship. They do have the best prices I've found though. Customer service is short at best, usually one word answers.

With that said, I have ALWAYS received exactly what I've ordered. I would recommend the Antenna Farm anytime.

jackj

What???

Reviving this thread.

Going on 7 days after ordering a PCTEL mobile antenna and not yet got it and also reading the negative experiences with TAT I'm regretting it too. I got an email either the day I ordered it or the day after saying the antenna was shipped with a tracking number.

I'm apprehensive to start emailing given other members' "history" with the owner. Three years ago I ordered another mobile antenna with them and don't remember slow shipping.

We'll see, but I don't have a great feeling.
You think 7 days is slow shipping? What country do you live in? The US Post Office takes that long to deliver a letter next door.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
You think 7 days is slow shipping? What country do you live in? The US Post Office takes that long to deliver a letter next door.

I've had it already take 10 days before the item even shipped, then another 4 days for the items to arrive after they shipped. Sometime you get a shipped notice, but the USPS tracking site shows "pre shipment" for 3-4 days before the items actually are picked up.

Just depends.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
They probably drop ship too which will delay shipping. I doubt they have a big distribution center of their own.

This is true. I do know my last order was drop shipped from Icom. Another thing I've noticed is they need to wait for certain items to come into their store before they can ship to the customer. Can't blame them for not holding onto a vast stock that they've paid for waiting for it to sell.

They're a good outfit, sometimes you just need to be patient.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I think a lot of times there is a supply shortage on things like antennas. Wait times on the Larsen NMO2/70 for example can be 1-2 months between production runs.

I've never had a problem with them. If I just have to order one item, I order from them. If it's a big order of antennas, mounts, or feed line that isn't amateur radio specific, I order from Hutton. Occasionally I break down and order from Tessco but their shipping is generally outrageous.

rapidcharger

I mean... what kind of service did you expect for the internet's lowest price?
If you want HRO service where they bend over backwards to help you, take back practically anything and ship your item the day you order if even if it's 10 minutes before UPS shows up and they use a reliable shipper with real tracking, then you have to pay HRO prices.

If you don't mind dealing with a one man band operating out of their garage in Montana who will get around to answering your emails when time permits an in as few words possible, using the cheapest possible postal option for shipping your order, when and if they feel like it, then you can pay antenna farm prices and save a bundle. But set your expectations accordingly. Reputations don't just come out of nowhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.