Is there a handheld scanner that does FM stereo and AM SSB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

modrachlan

I want to get another handheld, but I'd like this one to pull triple duty. FM stereo reception and good HF sensitivity/selectivity with USB/LSB. A typical scenario might be monitoring milcoms on 14mhz.

It's of course great if this can happen on a whip, but I have antennas for different things. It'd be nice if the FM is selective enough to pull a weaker station out of the murk. I'm flexible though, I know I'm asking a lot.

Just wondering if such a beastie exists. Apparently I don't know the right search terms to make this pop up (here or Google).

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I want to get another handheld, but I'd like this one to pull triple duty. FM stereo reception and good HF sensitivity/selectivity with USB/LSB. A typical scenario might be monitoring milcoms on 14mhz.

It's of course great if this can happen on a whip, but I have antennas for different things. It be nice if the FM is selective enough to pull a weaker station out of the murk. I'm flexible though, I know I'm asking a lot.

Just wondering if such a beastie exist. Apparently I don't know the right search terms to make this pop up (here or Google).

Not a scanner, per se, but the Kenwood TH-F6 tunes HF and FM broadcasts. The HF can use either the internal bar antenna or whatever is connected to the antenna jack.

The sensitivity is ok, but not great. It is better when an HF external antenna is used.

Sent via Tapatalk

Weaksignal

I do have both the Kenwood TH-F6A and Icom R-20. While the R-20 does not do FM stereo, it does sound great when using headphones.

Thinking of obtaining your ham license?... You may wish to look into the TH-F6A. Otherwise, the R-20 is a nice handheld scanner.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Intriguing little box. thanks for this.
. I also would suggest the Kenwood thf6 But as far as Fm Stereo goes, Many smart phones have stereo Fm tuners in their firmware. If not, there's apps for that. :). 73, n9zas

DPD1

I personally think you will be hard pressed to find any radio that does both scanning, FM, and HF, well. They may technically have it all, but it is very difficult to make something that will do all of that WELL. You could kill two birds at least with the Tecsun PL880. That's a nice FM/AM/HF portable.

Status
Not open for further replies.