Votes: 2 4.8%
  • No

Votes: 31 73.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake68111

While the replies to the actual post aren't all that helpful, albeit comical , I can see by the way the votes are coming in that the 200 would be a good bet, for the purpose of the post. Safe to say that not many folks here believe that we'll see a dedicated base model (like a BC895XLT) anytime soon, if ever. Yep, all of this is essentially conjecture and personal opinion because the way it works, we won't know till we know. To answer the question of what the purpose was of this post, it was to get opinions as to whether or not the masses thought that any future models with the I/Q tech would ever have the form factor of, say, a BC895XLT or something like that vs the base/mobile type models. The water is becoming more clear. Thanks for that.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
I doubt there's a market for a base-only scanner. (The Icom R8600 is a communications receiver.) From my perspective, the base/mobile units that have been produced over the past several years work just fine on a desk. Anyway, the 895's predecessor, the BC890XLT, had a supplied mobile mounting bracket, although the unit was a tad large for mobile use.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I'd like to see an SDS base scanner the size of the Icom R8600, with a larger display screen, big knurled tuning knob, fat rubber feet, and adjustable fonts. Wideband coverage, DMR/NXDN, the works. Sounds like a dream, but we never know what they have up their sleeve per future products. Ya never know....

JD
kf4anc

dfw1193

What is a SDS500?
The base scanner version sized like the bc898t with sds technology, wifi, ethernet, usb3 ports, with remote internet control from any computer browser so it also has a built in web server like some ip cameras.

I see it in my crystal ball, the next big thing priced at msrp of $994.95 release discount price of $949.95.

:)

mkt853

I'd like to see an SDS base scanner the size of the Icom R8600, with a larger display screen, big knurled tuning knob, fat rubber feet, and adjustable fonts. Wideband coverage, DMR/NXDN, the works. Sounds like a dream, but we never know what they have up their sleeve per future products. Ya never know....

JD
kf4anc
Doesn't the SDS200 already come with all of that?

UnidenSupport

Uniden Representative
Uniden Representative
Yes... I have a test unit right now. It has a washer/dryer/microwave/toaster oven/blender/coffee maker/nail clipper feature and a dog walker otion.
Keep that thing away from my dogs until the firmware is figured out.

wbswetnam

I'm more interested in a Home Patrol 3 which is DMR & NXDN upgradeable... and a bunch of other improved features. I'm not normally an early adopter (I have yet to buy either an SDS100 or SDS200) but for a DMR / NXDN capable Home Patrol 3, I'll risk it!

Last edited:

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
Here's what it is folks...you heard it here first. I'm taking great personal risk in posting this, so read it before the Uniden-sponsored Moderators take this post down - and me with it.

This SDS500 is, like, basically an SDR dongle...for your PHONE! Yeah, I know. First the iPhone (and iPads - eeek) then later availability for your favorite 'droid variant. The app, code named Odysseus, automatically downloads the RR database weekly. It will also allow you to use FLs that you've created for your current stockpile of SDSs and/or x36HPs. It allows you to use your phone's location services to determine it's location if you're a fan of GPS choosing what you hear. It streams via WiFi and Bluetooth. It has a SMA connector to connect an external antenna. It's also a phone case and supplemental power source. Women will swoon. Men will palpitate. Children will draw pictures in your honor.

It won't make waffles, but it does have all iHOP and Waffle House locations preloaded.

Status
Not open for further replies.