Is this a case of signal overload?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
'Cuz if it isn't I'm stumped. Allow me to explain.....

Just recently bought a PSR-800 and I love pretty much everything about it, especially the recording feature (but this thread isn't about the 800 in general). So, on Sunday night's, one of the local amateur radio clubs in the area holds a general check-in net which I participate in. For giggles and grins, I decided to record the net last night, with plans to play it back later, which is what I did this morning. When I did, I came across something puzzling...

...anytime I keyed up to transmit, nothing was recorded. The "space" where I checked in was not recorded, nor were my transmissions during the Q&A session at the end. I can hear the Hams ahead of me, I can hear the net controller, but none of my transmissions were recorded.

I was in the living room ("front room" for those of you from the Chicago area) using my Wouxun KG-UVD1P HT and the 800 was in the bedroom, probably about a good 50 feet away. The HT was set for 5 watt output, and I was using the stock antenna on each radio.

Even though there is an offset, would 5 watts still overpower the front end of the scanner, causing it not to "hear" my transmissions? If so, would either turning down the power on the HT or turning on the attenuation on the scanner help?

If this isn't a case of overload, any idea as to what might have cause it to not record?

Any info / comments / suggestions / tips are most welcome, and thanks in advance.

:)

Last edited:

W6KRU

Since your handheld radio was transmitting on one frequency and your scanner was receiving on a different frquency, I would call that desense.

ScannerSK

Turning down the power on the HT or turning on the attenuation on the scanner will likely help. If you test either, I would not be very close to the scanner as it could burn out the front-end of the scanner.

Shawn

DickH

... would either turning down the power on the HT or turning on the attenuation on the scanner help? ...

Any info / comments / suggestions / tips are most welcome, and thanks in advance.

I would have already tried those things before asking here.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
It does sound like overload,but like one guy already said,turning down the power on the ht or turning on the scanner attenuation would likely help.Maybe even doing both would help it even better.But if you do test by transmiting on your ht,make sure you don't stand to close to the scanner or you will burn it out.

Last edited:

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

DDan is technically correct, since you didn't have distorted audio blasting through the audio section.

You could increase the physical separation. Maybe put the 800 in your car, and use the Wouxon from the back yard.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
It does sound like overload,but like one guy already said,turning down the power on the ht or turning on the scanner attenuation would likely help.Maybe even doing both would help it even better.But if you do test by transmiting on your ht,make sure you don't stand to close to the scanner or you will burn it out.

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

DDan is technically correct, since you didn't have distorted audio blasting through the audio section.

You could increase the physical separation. Maybe put the 800 in your car, and use the Wouxon from the back yard.

Will definitely try more separation and less xmit pwr next time 'round.

Thanks to everyone who replied. Definitely appreciate the info.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.