• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Is this a monopoly on biz radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
In reasearching the 800 Mhz LTR systems in my area I took the great advice I received here by running a licensee's FRN thru the FCC lookup engine.

Holy Cow! It appears that Mobile Relay Associates, a Calif outfit, runs about 20 systems near Denver, CO.

When in doubt it might be worth simply trying that name in the database and in your State and see what you get.

SkipSanders

Silent Key
There never were a LARGE number of 'major providers' for radio systems at the hardware/site level for businesses.

For a while, there were multiple 'SMR' (early trunking) providers here in San Diego, but the general move by many businesses to Nextel group/direct comms has shrunken the pool of users down, and these days, there are only a few business trunking systems around to 'rent time' on, again.

Nationwide, it's probably the same, a shakeout of providers as Nextel/similar pulls users over into cellphone/PDA provided communications, leaving less need for rental trunking systems, or conventional repeaters. Thus, the dominance in the field of a relative few major players in this business.

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
Recently discovered in our area that some pager licences are being used in LTR systems. This might explain why when you run the target frequency on the FCC database it doesn't pop up. Apparently, the pager freqs are in a range and not spot on, so it misses it when you do a search.

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
Along the same line, I discovered a piece of paper today that I had written down some frequencys on in the past following an FCC database search. With the older versions of the FCC database, it seemed the information we received was much more reliable than what we get today. The newer versions (V3.*.*) are much less forthcoming when running frequencies as evidenced with the paper I discovered. Has anyone else noticed this when trying to do research?

Status
Not open for further replies.