• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Is this a WLN KD-C1 test mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hans13

PTT + up channel during power up causes the handset to beep and then open squelch after you release the buttons. It will continue with open squelch for a while and then switch on VOX and begin transmitting. Transmission will continue for a few seconds and then cease.This is all on whatever frequency the radio was last set for and does not seem to deviate from that frequency. The process continues until the radio is power cycled.

Thoughts?

I was looking for a way to drain the radios easily so that I could charge them up fully, per manufacturer's instructions to run them down and fully charge them twice for best battery performance. I know that I accidentally stumbled on a factory reset with the first KD-C1 purchased. I think I was pressing down all buttons while powering on the radio but I have not been able to duplicate it since. It might also have just been a glitch on the first radio.

Hans13

I just noticed that they seem to be alternating between FM and NFM on the current frequency every other time (or so) they transmit.

ETA: The NFM/FM TX is an artifact of the way I am scanning so please disregard.)

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I was looking for a way to drain the radios easily so that I could charge them up fully, per manufacturer's instructions to run them down and fully charge them twice for best battery performance.

Unnecessary, just use the radio normally until the battery dies.

Hans13

Unnecessary, just use the radio normally until the battery dies.

I am also aware that you can set squelch level to zero. I was trying to avoid reprogramming them and was seeking a way to lock the squelch open anyway for monitoring. However, I was primarily motivated by curiosity. By the way, you don't have to power off the radio to get it out of that mode. Pressing any buttons should do it but the volume knob does not unless you turn it off.

Any thoughts on the question I posed? In other words, is this a test mode, a glitch, or what?

Also, does anyone know what the beep setting does in programming?

Last edited:

cmdrwill

My WLN KD-C1 will tell me when the battery needs charging, by voice announcement

I get very good battery life, even scanning all 16 channels..

Hans13

My WLN KD-C1 will tell me when the battery needs charging, by voice announcement

I get very good battery life, even scanning all 16 channels..

Right, I've used this model radio before, almost daily. Any thoughts on the question I'm asking? Also do you know what the beep setting in programming does?

Hans13

I just had a thought... The beep setting could be for low battery announcement. I've never been around when the batteries have been that low so I've never heard the announcement. But, I'm more interested in this mode or glitch or whatever it is when the PTT + up channel are pressed at startup.

As a side note, the battery life of these radios have been impressive to me. How much power is left after the low battery announcement? Does anyone know?

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Very, very little. All four of mine will power down about 30 seconds after the low battery announcement.

KD8DVR

I am already aware. Any thoughts or knowlege on the topic of this thread?
You mentioned fast discharging in the post you started the thread with.

Insofar as your *other* questions, sorry... I don't have an answer. As far as I know, the beep option does nothing; but I only tried it briefly once.

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All comments are personal opinion only and may not imply actual fact.

Hans13

You mentioned fast discharging in the post you started the thread with.

Insofar as your *other* questions, sorry... I don't have an answer. As far as I know, the beep option does nothing; but I only tried it briefly once.

Everything after "thoughts?" in the original post was just background on how I found the mode. The title of the thread and the entire first half of the message has the question I was asking. I erroneously took for granted that readers would perceive that. No worries. Doesn't matter.

Thanks for the beep info. I don't think it does anything either.

We are loving these these radios though.

KD8DVR

Everything after "thoughts?" in the original post was just background on how I found the mode. The title of the thread and the entire first half of the message has the question I was asking. I erroneously took for granted that readers would perceive that. No worries. Doesn't matter.

Thanks for the beep info. I don't think it does anything either.

We are loving these these radios though.

Hey, it's all good :) They are good radios :)

Hoya

Vox on-off

Pressing the up and down channel buttons while turning the power on turns on/off the vox. The voice announcement sounds like "vol on" and "vol off" instead of saying VOX. It took me a while to figure this out and was wondering why the vox setting was sometimes on.
By the way does anyone know what the embedded message feature in the software does with these radios?

Hans13

Pressing the up and down channel buttons while turning the power on turns on/off the vox. The voice announcement sounds like "vol on" and "vol off" instead of saying VOX. It took me a while to figure this out and was wondering why the vox setting was sometimes on.
By the way does anyone know what the embedded message feature in the software does with these radios?

I didn't see your reply here and answered in the other thread. Thanks for the information on the VOX. It locks mine into current channel so it can't be changed (good for kids & noobs) but does not turn on VOX.

Hans13

I can't remember if it's been mentioned before, but powering on with the - pressed invokes scan.

EDIT: Nevermind. It's the same as I have (-) programmed to do on long press.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.