UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
BCD325P2
BCD996P2
HomePatrol-1
BCD436HP
BCD536HP

are a few that are in current production that can.

SCPD

QRT
If your not tight in the pockets and want latest and greatest, you can get a bcd436hp portable or the bcd536hp desktop. Your other options are the whistler trx series. My personal choice is the 436 uniden. Others may shed opinion or thoughts. Before you buy you may want to let another chime in locally preferred who has had good results with the brand they use. Just keep in mind future upgrades the system may have. Such as phase 2. Some models don't offer it. The new trx whistler and uniden 436/536 do offer p25 phase 1, 2. With paid upgrades you can get the dmr mototrbo digital formats. I don't recall if the trx just offers it off the bat without paid upgrade. Last I thought it just came with it but I may be wrong. If you just needing phase 1 p25 then there is other models capable of p25 phase 1. However I am replying to what I have and like which is the uniden x36hp series. I wpuld let others chime in and then get a idea. I am not local so I cannot vouch for if as listed in the database whay and which sites use phase 2 modulation. You don't want to just buy something p25 then find out you need a phase 2 p25 capable scanner. If you out for latest and greatest the trx whistler and uniden 436hp\536 series will do phase 1 and 2 p25 out of the box. (The optional upgrades of dmr and trbo are for other system types not used in all areas so it per say isn't needed unless you plan to monitor or want to other formats in your area. But out of box you'll be able to monitor p25 phase 1 and 2 that is not encrypted), However others may feel the uniden or trx is better monitoring this system if it is a simulcast system or other factors. Let others chime in before jumping on it. But my experience has always trusted uniden and always been more then happy with uniden.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
The biggest concern I would have, is the thorny "Simulcast" issue. In certain parts of Adams County, the simulcast distortion is basically unbearable (not for agency users with real radios, only for those of us with hobbyist scanners). It may or may not be a concern, depending on where you live and/or wish to use the scanner. In any event, I've heard several reports the 436 handles simulcast issues better than most other hobbyist scanners. So that's something to think about.

cool1035

Is this scanner able to pick up the thornton channels as well as the county sheirff

Uniden Uniden Mobile TrunkTracker III-BCT15X

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
No. That is not a digital scanner either. As noted above, you meed a digital scanner.

Thornton, along with Adams & Weld Counties are on this P25 Phase II system: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=7768

While the system is listed as Phase II, all of the identified talkgroups are shown as being Phase I at this time. However, looking at the system, it appears that Thornton PD is encrypted, so no scanner will receive them. Dire shows to currently be Phase I, and not encrypted.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
You could always learn about SDR. If you're only looking to listen from home, it could be done for a little time invested in learning and a couple of SDR dongles. Probably under $100

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)

The ship has sailed for Thornton Police Department. They cannot be monitored anymore by any of the scanners now or in the future.

If you want to listen to Adams County using a scanner, you will need something off this list (NOT the Pro-96, Pro-2096, BC296D, or BC796D). If you don''t see the scanner on the list, then It won't work.

There is a possibility that some radio tech decides to flip a switch somewhere and use Phase 2 mode, which the system is easily capable of. If that happen, then the Phase 1 FDMA scanners will not work. This may be reason to consider a Phase 2 TDMA scanner over a Phase 1 scanner.

As someone else pointed out, you might consider RTL-SDR if you are willing to learn a lot and put in many hours . It is not as easy as a scanner and takes a bit of setup, so do not expect to be able to plug in the device and listen within a couple of hours. If that is something you are interested in, then I would highly suggest doing a lot of research beforehand.

cool1035

what is the cheapest I can get for the p25 phase 2 stuff that can be mounted on a vehicle

cool1035

this scanner will work after programing and installation of where I would like correct and how hard is it to program one of these things. The scanner is a Uniden Bearcat BCD996P2

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
The 996P2 scanner is easier to program vs the HP series scanners (IMO) provided you use programming software to do the job.

However there is one important item missing from this thread and that is simulcast distortion especially since you have indicated that you will be using the scanner installed in a vehicle.

The main 700 simulcast array that is the primary coverage for Western Adams county has multiple tower sites and depending on location decode reception can be fair to totally unreadable. The same can be said for the Weld South West simulcast sites (Called FT Lupton in the database).

cool1035

The 996P2 scanner is easier to program vs the HP series scanners (IMO) provided you use programming software to do the job.

However there is one important item missing from this thread and that is simulcast distortion especially since you have indicated that you will be using the scanner installed in a vehicle.

The main 700 simulcast array that is the primary coverage for Western Adams county has multiple tower sites and depending on location decode reception can be fair to totally unreadable. The same can be said for the Weld South West simulcast sites (Called FT Lupton in the database).
how do I work around this

ScannerSK

what do you mean by this

Less antenna is at times better when it comes to simulcast systems (as it assists with only receiving the signal from the nearest tower). Others use a mini directional antenna.

I have found that positioning my scanner off to one side of my computer case/tower assists with reception of our simulcast system. I assume the computer case is acting like a shield allowing only the nearest tower to be received. Mobile listening is another creature altogether with some days allowing better reception than other days in my experience.

Shawn

Last edited:

cool1035

Can I get the frequency for the following

Adams County Sheriff and fire
Colorado State Patrol for the Adams county area
Northglenn PD

Status
Not open for further replies.