Is this thing working???

Status
Not open for further replies.

JEBariffic

Salivations!

Complete newbie here, with apologies if this has been covered.

Two weeks ago I purchased a Baofeng BF-F9V2+, a handheld, with the goals of:
- monitoring noaa and local police / fire during the occasional tornado warning
- communication in case of emergency while off-roading in our jeep
- getting a ham license to communicate with enthusiasts

I live in Thompsons Station, TN, 37179.

With an upgraded antenna, Nagoya NA-771, I'm able to get solid reception of NOAA out of Franklin, TN, about 7.5 miles away. However, that's all I'm able to receive. I've punched in all the amateur and agency frequencies in my area, have scanned both VHF and UHF, with no reception.

I'm assuming reception of NOAA proves the radio works. So, I'm wondering if perhaps I just live in an area that's not terribly lively? How would one know?

Perhaps this radio just isn't up to the task... I'm concerned that relying on it for emergency communications isn't realistic, and maybe CB might be a better choice?

I appreciate any insights on any of the above anyone might share. Thanks for your time!

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the forum! This link, https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=2521#cid-1400, has all the information you'd need to program your radio. The big exception is that the town/city of Franklin is using P25 phase 1 digital, which your radio cannot receive. The system listed here: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=6355, is a P25 phase 2 system, and also beyond the reach of your Baofeng. Start by programming in the "Williamson County" public safety frequencies, as they're all analog frequencies your radio can receive.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'm concerned that relying on it for emergency communications isn't realistic, and maybe CB might be a better choice?

Until you have a license, there isn't anywhere you can legally use that radio to transmit, even in an emergency.

As for what's the better choice, it entirely depends on who it is you want to talk to. If locals use CB heavily, then that would likely be a better choice. A radio does no good in an emergency if there isn't someone on the other end that can help you.

Getting your amateur radio license will be a good start. That will likely give you some locals to talk to and access to repeaters if there are any in your area.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Do you have cell phone coverage where you normally off-road? That may be a better solution for your emergency communication needs. Even an deactivated phone can call 911.

JEBariffic

Thanks, all, for replies.

>>Start by programming in the "Williamson County" public safety frequencies, as they're all analog frequencies your radio can receive.

It pains me to be this ignorant, but by "programming" you mean just entering the frequency numbers (as opposed to running some setup using CHIRP which I've not done)?

I did so with every frequency listed and received nothing. :-(

>>Until you have a license, there isn't anywhere you can legally use that radio to transmit, even in an emergency.
>>If locals use CB heavily

I understand that, thank you, and have no intentions of transmitting without license. I'm just trying to figure out if a handheld shortwave radio is viable. I'm thinking that if I can't receive anything (outside of NOAA), I'm probably not going to be able to transmit to anyone.

>>Do you have cell phone coverage where you normally off-road?
Spotty at best.

I guess another way of approaching this is asking is anyone has a bf-f9v2 and how does it work for them?

Status
Not open for further replies.