Is TRAX Using NEXTEL (or Similar)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

transitman

A recent trip provided me with the opportunity to spend a couple of days in Salt Lake City. I was monitoring the 900 mhz frequencies used by UTA and heard Frontrunner and bus transmissions, however no TRAX calls. Thinking they may have migrated to the UCAN system, I programmed those frequencies, again no TRAX transmissions. Then while riding a TRAX train up front by the operators cab, I heard the familiar "chirping" sound, characteristic of a NEXTEL system. Later on I was able to briefly glance into the cab as an operator was programming a display screen. Attached to the screen was a Motorola microphone.

A review of FCC records shows UTA was issued a number of 800 mhz frequencies in 2009, which are in the same band as those used for NEXTEL communications.

Can anyone provide any additional information?

kf7yn

That is correct, Trax is reportedly using the 900 MHz MPT-1327 trunked system you listed.

I am considering purchasing a WinRadio with trunking software to decode MPT-1327. I don't know of anyone here who is decoding it but if so, please let us know!

transitman

As I noted in my original post, I was monitoring the UTA 900 Mhz MPT-1327 system (including sitting onboard a train behind the operators cab) yet no transmissions were heard on the scanner (yes, all the frequencies shown in the database and from FCC records were programmed). Earlier, I did catch the end of a broadcast on 939.4125 (TRAX 1) advising operators to "use the new radio protocall." Can someone provide factual informational rather than guesses?

kd7rto

Earlier this year, a friend of mine had a job interview with UTA where they were especially interested in his experience as a former Nextel field tech. To install an iDEN network, so soon after building out MPT-1327, shows some strange financial priorities, but I wouldn't put it past them.

Speaking of money, I wouldn't invest any of my personal funds to decode MPT-1327 in this area (though free software can be fun to experiment with). The UTA system is full duplex. To hear both sides the mobile would have to be in range, and you'd need a second receiver. Once a call is initiated, it stays on the same frequency pair for the duration, with the base side in constant transmit. Unless you need to follow specific buses, I don't see any real advantage to trunktracking capabilities for this system.

kf7yn

Thanks for the heads up Gary, I remember now you saying before the sysem is full-duplex.

MPT-1327 is part of the broader WinRadio trunking suite software so I wouldn't be buying it just for that. I'm still up in the air on the WinRadio.

Status
Not open for further replies.