iSCAN Post-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
The iscan scanner isn't compatible with my Mac. Any other way to do it without having to buy a pc?

I've been using Parallels software for a few years now to run Windows on my Mac laptop and it works great. Much cheaper than buying a PC and you only need to haul one computer around. YMMV.

Once, you re-installed it, did it crash as soon as you tried to open the software, or did it display an error message? If you could get the software to open, I think you can do a software update from the pull down menus. That may solve the problem.

I am having similar issues here. I installed the software for the first time today and it ran flawlessly. I shut it down for a couple of hours then came back to use it again and it will not load. I double click on the desktop icon again and a message comes up saying that the iScan software is already running. But, the iScan window does not come up at all; even though the computer says it is running.

I am the admin on the computer and running Vista Home Premium. I uninstalled and reinstalled the software 3 or 4 times and yet the same thing happens. Does anyone have any idea how to correct this so that the software works like it should? Thanks for any and all help!!!!

Mike

RadioWARE

I am having similar issues here. I installed the software for the first time today and it ran flawlessly. I shut it down for a couple of hours then came back to use it again and it will not load. I double click on the desktop icon again and a message comes up saying that the iScan software is already running. But, the iScan window does not come up at all; even though the computer says it is running.

I am the admin on the computer and running Vista Home Premium. I uninstalled and reinstalled the software 3 or 4 times and yet the same thing happens. Does anyone have any idea how to correct this so that the software works like it should? Thanks for any and all help!!!!

Mike

I have had the same problem on multiple computers and operating systems, exact same message. I wish someone could tell us how to fix it :(

I have had the same problem on multiple computers and operating systems, exact same message. I wish someone could tell us how to fix it :(

I have been tinkering around with this and found if you delete the iScan files from the DOCUMENTS folder that the software will open normal. I was able to update the software and the firmware. Although this updating did not help the situation at all! After I deleted the iScan files in the documents folder, I tried to copy the files from the SD card to the hard drive using the iScan software. After the copying was completed, the software locked up immediately.

So it seems that, in my opinion, that the iScan files in the documents folder has something to do with the software not working like it should. After the files are deleted, the software loads and it can be used for updating, but not copying files back and forth. There is something that we are missing that we need to tweek. Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated!!!!

Mike

Trekker65

Premium Subscriber

Mike
I had a similar problem when starting the new iscan program. I also have Vista home premium and found that I must launch the program using "launch as administrator". You must right click on the shortcut or exe program and use the "run as administrator" to get everything to work properly. There are some notes on the wiki page to this effect. Seems to be a pecularity of the Vista operating system. Also, when installing the iscan program you can not delete or move any of the program from its original location or it will cause an error. DonS helped me get rolling with my situation.

I had a similar problem when starting the new iscan program. I also have Vista home premium and found that I must launch the program using "launch as administrator". You must right click on the shortcut or exe program and use the "run as administrator" to get everything to work properly. There are some notes on the wiki page to this effect. Seems to be a pecularity of the Vista operating system. Also, when installing the iscan program you can not delete or move any of the program from its original location or it will cause an error. DonS helped me get rolling with my situation.

I have done these exact same steps and made sure that everything that was "run/launch as administrator" was checked. When I copy the files from the SD card to the hard drive using the software; the software immediately locks up after I click the OK button when the copying is completed. I dont know what else to try. Like I mentioned yesterday, the software worked fine when I first used it, but now it wont work at all. I may return this thing to Radio Shack Monday afternoon if I cant get the software to work. Seems to me that my Uniden 245XLT has better reception than the Pro-107. Also, I am missing some fire pages that are coming through on the Uniden.

bee

Just puirchased the 107. Am very disappointed wirh the "low" audio level. In my vehicle (with road noise, ect.) it is very difficult to hear!

Anyone else have this problem with the 107?

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
bee, I don't have a 107, but keep in mind it's an entry level handheld scanner and not really designed for automotive use per say. You could always add a wireless radio transmitter or MP3 type input to your car stereo to get better sound from the headpone jack.

bee, I don't have a 107, but keep in mind it's an entry level handheld scanner and not really designed for automotive use per say. You could always add a wireless radio transmitter or MP3 type input to your car stereo to get better sound from the headpone jack.

Please explain why it's a "Entry Level" handheld scanner? Coming from somebody who "does not have a 107"

Greg V

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
"Entry level" meaning it was designed for someone who knows nothing about scanning radios to browse to their state, county (parish), city, town, or agency and listen to the action without learning to "program" a radio without the tedious bank and channel entry or an involved programming method via computer software, yet have the entire US database at their fingertips.

GRE America, Inc. - Powered By Kayako SupportSuite

"Entry level" meaning it was designed for someone who knows nothing about scanning radios to browse to their state, county (parish), city, town, or agency and listen to the action without learning to "program" a radio without the tedious bank and channel entry or an involved programming method via computer software, yet have the entire US database at their fingertips.

GRE America, Inc. - Powered By Kayako SupportSuite

So by describing it as "entry level" has nothing to do with quality or agencies that you can listen to? not including the incrypted agencies. But having the free software and free updates is concidered entry level?

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
In basic terms, the person programing a trunk radio system in a Pro107 dose not need to understand how to program in frequencies and talk groups from the scanners keys. There is no need to look up frequencies in a database to program into the radio. There is no need to by software to help the user program the radio and manage the information in the radio.

In basic terms, the person programing a trunk radio system in a Pro107 dose not need to understand how to program in frequencies and talk groups from the scanners keys. There is no need to look up frequencies in a database to program into the radio. There is no need to by software to help the user program the radio and manage the information in the radio.

When I asked DaveIN what he meant by "entry level" he he replied with a software/programing answer to a hardware question.

What does software have to do with the speaker quality referring to the question Bee asked?

people come here to learn and his answer had nothing to do with the scanner speaker, and is very confusing because one has nothing to do with the other and is not an entry level issue

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
Just puirchased the 107. Am very disappointed wirh the "low" audio level. In my vehicle (with road noise, ect.) it is very difficult to hear!

Anyone else have this problem with the 107?

As with almost every hand held radio I have used in a vehicle (Scanner, Ham Radio, and Public Service radio) the audio system needs help. I use an amplified speaker for most hand held radios and have used a small speaker mounted above and behind the drivers seat to get the sound closer to my ears.

The typical mobile scanner like the Pro-163 has a 1.5 watt amplifier while the handheld radios like the Pro 164 has a .17 watt (170mw) output and the Pro107 has a .20 watt (200mw) audio output.

As with almost every hand held radio I have used in a vehicle (Scanner, Ham Radio, and Public Service radio) the audio system needs help. I use an amplified speaker for most hand held radios and have used a small speaker mounted above and behind the drivers seat to get the sound closer to my ears.

The typical mobile scanner like the Pro-163 has a 1.5 watt amplifier while the handheld radios like the Pro 164 has a .17 watt (170mw) output and the Pro107 has a .20 watt (200mw) audio output.

This is the way all questiones should be answered on here, great job Doug

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
When I asked DaveIN what he meant by "entry level" he he replied with a software/programing answer to a hardware question.

So, people answer questions with out really answering the original question, Thats life.

What does software have to do with the speaker quality referring to the question Bee asked?

Nothing

people come here to learn and his answer had nothing to do with the scanner speaker, and is very confusing because one has nothing to do with the other and is not an entry level issue

I saw that and posted two answers, one about the "Entery Level" scanner and another one about the orginal speaker issue.

So, people answer questions with out really answering the original question, Thats life.

Nothing

I saw that and posted two answers, one about the "Entery Level" scanner and another one about the orginal speaker issue.

Sorry, when a thread has over 550 posts it pretty easy to get lost

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
We are going to close this and let the sticky go but will paste this thread in the sticky archive. If you have any questions concerning the iSCAN scanner post it in the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.