iSCAN Post-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Doesn't matter who makes it. This is the first NON-DIGITAL Scanner marketed by Radio Shack to scan EDACS Wide AND Narrow.

The preliminary manual also mentions individual call monitoring (iCall), Show Radio ID (RID), programmable audible alerts and 32 step sequence "Flash" for the backlight settings. This is all new for a NON-DIGITAL Scanner marketed by RadioShack (AKA, The Shack).:cool:

JBuff27

The Software for the iScan.

Would like to know if the software that comes with the iScan will be usable on a Mac? Maybe someone knows or one of the first buyers will be able to try it out.

If not then GRE/RS missed a very good opportunity. This could of been the first piece of scanner software to be "universal", that is for both the PC and the Mac OS.

Is it too late to be reworked to make it Universal?

JBuff27

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Pro-107 First Impressions

I work at a RadioShack store in upstate NY, and have worked part-time for the company for over 14 years. I currently own seven scanners of various makes including RadioShack, Uniden, and Icom, and have been a scanner listener for 25 years. I got a chance to test the Pro-107 in the store last night. In short, this scanner is a marriage between a conventional scanner and an Ipod. It re-defiines the process of scanning, and programming a scanner. Some might call it revolutionary. Locating and programming frequencies has always been a challenge for some of our customers, even with computer software. This scanner is not programmed as scanners have been for many years. Instead, you rely on the database included on the supplied SD memory card, which has almost every conceivable radio service for every state, county, and municipality onboard. You really don't need a computer to interface with, even though the cable and software is provided. After setting up a playlist, scanning is pretty straightforward. You can select the playlist, or playlists, of interest to scan. I do wish it had more than 21 playlists to work with, however. Perhaps that could be a possible firmware upgrade for the future. I didn't have a long time to explore it, but some of the audio was a bit scratchy, as if the transmission was slightly off frequency. I will be continuing to test the Pro-107 (unless, of course, we sell the only unit we have in stock), as time permits, and can report more later.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Would like to know if the software that comes with the iScan will be usable on a Mac? Maybe someone knows or one of the first buyers will be able to try it out.

If not then GRE/RS missed a very good opportunity. This could of been the first piece of scanner software to be "universal", that is for both the PC and the Mac OS.

Is it too late to be reworked to make it Universal?

JBuff27

From the preliminary manual: PC application software Requires Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Welcome to Radioreference Bob.

You really don't need a computer to interface with, even though the cable and software is provided. After setting up a playlist, scanning is pretty straightforward.

Do you have a rebanded Motorola system that you have selected in your playlist? I would be interested to know if the radio will track the system based on the database, or if you will need to change the band plan in the custom settings using the supplied USB cable and iScan software? This could be a show stopper for some of the new scanner users that will want to only select the system from the supplied database.

I didn't have a long time to explore it, but some of the audio was a bit scratchy, as if the transmission was slightly off frequency. I will be continuing to test the Pro-107 (unless, of course, we sell the only unit we have in stock), as time permits, and can report more later.

Scratchy audio could be the result of an incorrect Mode setting. If the included database has the wrong Mode setting this could be an issue, but the database is only as good as the information supplied.

If you have time, please post a picture of the display in action, the menu system, and maybe the database selection for us to see.

What is your impression of the supplied USB cable?

Last edited:

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I think there is a Digital version coming. A local Radio Shack had this scanner a few months ago for Demo by managers. The demo model was digital. (at least in search mode) I'd put my cards on watching the Shacks website on November 27th. but not before. (That's Black Friday)

Max, I'd welcome being wrong on this, but without an FCC type acceptance a digital version would not be likely in time for Black Friday or through the end of the year. Remember this was a low end model designed to see if the entry level users can use this media player style of programming and operation based on the available Radioreference database and customizable playlists. :)

bob550

Premium Subscriber
I haven't checked out the USB cable yet. I got so involved in checking out the scanner, I didn't even take the time to look at the manual. I also don't have a computer to connect to using the supplied software since I'm doing this in the store. I think I may have to ask Santa for a Pro-107 this year! I will try to post some "action" photos as time permits.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Bob, if you could, try plugging the iScan USB cable into the radio and to a USB power adapter and see if it's noisy on receive at all, such as the Catalog #: 273-317. Be sure to power it off from the front panel first. :D

69stiles

I haven't checked out the USB cable yet. I got so involved in checking out the scanner, I didn't even take the time to look at the manual. I also don't have a computer to connect to using the supplied software since I'm doing this in the store. I think I may have to ask Santa for a Pro-107 this year! I will try to post some "action" photos as time permits.

Bob do you know if the pre-installed database is solely American or is Canada systems on there as well?

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
69, this may help. From the preliminary manual: The Complete USA RadioReference Database On SD Card - The entire USA database from RadioReference.com - Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference is stored on a standard SD Card that is included with iSCAN, giving you access to the most comprehensive radio data available without connecting iSCAN to a computer or the Internet - a RadioShack first!

Looks like your going to need a "C" version, if and when it become available, unless you want to program via the included USB cable and iScan software, as Don S. pointed out.

jflattery

iScan

I just bought one, inded the software does not work for Macs according to the CD. I will be running it through it's paces tonite though.

mrcpu

I don't know if you want this to be a wish list or not but I would love a buffer! I've lost track of how many times I've wished I could go back and hear something I just missed. Might be some "legal" issues with this but I'm sure the "you might not be legal if you do this in your jurisdiction" disclaimer might cover it.

jamesa53

We are going to find out how it performs, mine is supposed to be at the local RS store on Monday. Cant wait to try it on the EDACS system here.

DonS

Bob, if you could, try plugging the iScan USB cable into the radio and to a USB power adapter and see if it's noisy on receive at all, such as the Catalog #: 273-317.
Sounds fine when connected to the AC -> USB power adapter that came with my cell phone.

Be sure to power it off from the front panel first. :D

Not necessary. As long as you're connecting it to a USB-compliant power source, it handles connect/disconnect just fine while powered-up.

DonS

Do you have a rebanded Motorola system that you have selected in your playlist? I would be interested to know if the radio will track the system based on the database

It tracks rebanded systems based on the RR DB. As with all other functionality, this performance is only as good as the RR DB data.

What is your impression of the supplied USB cable?

The supplied cable is quite similar to the cable that comes with a PSR-500. The scanner-side connector is different, and there's only 1 LED.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I don't know if you want this to be a wish list or not but I would love a buffer! I've lost track of how many times I've wished I could go back and hear something I just missed. Might be some "legal" issues with this but I'm sure the "you might not be legal if you do this in your jurisdiction" disclaimer might cover it.

Maybe you missed it, but the PRO-106 (PSR500) already does this.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Sounds fine when connected to the AC -> USB power adapter that came with my cell phone.

Not necessary. As long as you're connecting it to a USB-compliant power source, it handles connect/disconnect just fine while powered-up.

It tracks rebanded systems based on the RR DB. As with all other functionality, this performance is only as good as the RR DB data.

Good to know Don. The preliminary manual mentioned that you may get file corruption without turning the radio off first. Glad to hear this is not the case. I'm happy to hear it will track rebanded systems out of the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.