iScan Pro-107

Status
Not open for further replies.

whit101

PRO-107 iSCAN cdat
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, here I go again. Trying to learn something new, I’m 63. I purchased the PRO-107 this past week.
Research shows this is good scanner technology. But, anytime ones endeavors to use technology one is not familiar with problems arise.

I live in Escambia county, Pensacola, Florida. The Pensacola police are now "Trunking" using the "Motorola Type II system".

I have two issues
1) The vocabulary associated with Trunking and the iScan software confuses me. Site ID, TalkGroups etc. don't correlate with the field names in iScan, therefore I don't know how to input the data into iScan.
2) Also, I would like to "Open" and "Edit" the CDAT file so I might sort the data and look for duplicate entries, etc.

I have screen shots see attached.

Whit

Attachments

• iScan1.jpg
    iScan1.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 1,214
  • iScan2.jpg
    iScan2.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 1,138
  • iScan3.jpg
    iScan3.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 1,075

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Let's start with the basics, so that you understand what trunking is all about...Anything in blue - both here and in our wiki, is a link...

Trunking Basics - The RadioReference Wiki

http://www.uniden.com/products/ButIjustwanttolistentothePolice.pdf

The 2nd link is a PDF file, so you will need Adobe Acrobat or one of the popular readers (Foxit for example).

I can't clearly read the images - perhaps someone more familiar with the software can - but I think we can get a start on understanding how to read our database and understand what you are seeing there. Assume for the moment that this is the system you are trying to program...

Pensacola City Services Trunking System, Pensacola, Florida - Scanner Frequencies

Now if you go down to the 'site frequencies' you will see the frequencies that are allocated for the system. You may think of a 'site' as a transmitter site, the same as any FM, AM or TV station would have. In this particular instance, there is only 1.

Now scroll down to the talkgroups. When you say talkgroup, think 'groups of users', Note that if you have a question about data in a particular column, float your mouse to the column header and you will get a bubble with some basic definitions. You may safely ignore the hex and alpha tag columns - the hex is a format used by some GRE and Uniden scanners (the XT series, specifically), and you don't need them. Concentrate on the DEC (these are the talkgroups in a decimal representation) and the description. In general those are the only 2 columns you need to worry about in this system. There are no talkgroups marked 'D' (digital) or 'E' (encrypted) so the 107 should be able to handle them.

That should be enough to get you started. Hopefully someone more familiar with the 107 software can jump in here to fill in the rest

Best Regards...Mike

Adykt

Whit,
There is an easier way to set it up than manually entering all of the info.

Using the software will allow you to update all of the database on the SD card also. I used a spare card to experiment with, a 4gb card worked fine.

If you have loaded any agencies to monitor, you will want to read the information into to software from the sd card so you dont loose your settings. The software allows you to read from the card or write to the card. I believe that writing to the card will overrite any information you have stored.

I ran all of the updates under the "Updates" tab prior to messing with anything else. Then I inserted a spare sd card in my reader and did the following under the "SD Card" tab.

1. Prepare SD Card for use - this will format the card.

You can now pick the trunked systems to monitor;

From within the iScan program, perform the following:

1. Click "Library Import" at the bottom of the page.
2. Select "Florida" and "Counties/Cities" then click next.
3. Select "Escambria" and "Systems" then click next
4. Select "Pensacola" and click "Talkgroups"
5. Select the talkgroups you want to monitor then click "Import Selected Channels" on the lower right side of the page.

Now you are ready to load the info to the scanner: Under the "SD Card" tab do the following:

1. Copy configuration to SD Card
2. Copy Library to SD Card

You now have a spare "working card with the entire database loaded. Hope this helps. You can also perform this from within the scanner itself.

jwitey

I have the pro 107 and suggest using the software to edit and ad frequencies to the sd card. When you use the software you can change the names of the playlists very easily, also there have been several updates to the library, it is on # 66 right now. The reason I say to use the software is because it is a lot easier to edit what you have on the sd card without ruining the changes that you made with the scanner. And it is great when you want to ad information because when you make changes to the sd card with your computer you will not loose anything that you have already done.
Hope this helps, John.

Status
Not open for further replies.