ISO screw dimensions for vehicle mount

Status
Not open for further replies.

hustlinpete

Premium Subscriber
I'm replacing my stock double-DIN radio with a single-DIN aftermarket head unit and a BCD536HP. To do this properly, it seems like ISO mounting and stacking the units on top of each other is the recommended method.

Unfortunately not only does the BCD536HP not come with screws for this, it also doesn't mention the screw specifications within the manual. Here are their exact words:

"Once the sleeve is removed, you will see threaded, metric machine screw holes on either
side of the chassis cabinet. Uniden does not supply these screws. Their diameter, length, and
screw type should be chosen by a qualified installer based on the internal vehicle bracket which
will be used in securing the scanner chassis."

I'm not sure why Uniden wouldn't just specify the diameter. Does anyone know what size diameter these are? At Home Depot the closest I could come were #8 'machine' screws x 1/2", but those didn't fit and I didn't want to force them. Diameter wise they were close, but maybe the threads were off.

A more complete question is, what screws should I buy and where can I buy them?

Thanks in advance

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Home Depot and other similar stores have a special section of METRIC screws, probably in small drawers. (METRIC is what is mentioned in the manual, no?) They are undoubtedly fine thread (as compared to coarse thread). Have someone at Home Depot show you where the METRIC hardware is located. You'll have to figure out the length needed once you have the correct diameter and thread.

#6 is not METRIC. METRIC size hardware is stated in millimeters, not inches and not # sizes.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I don't know if they are M5, but the shaft measures 3mm. Metric screws are also measured by pitch, but that shouldn't be a problem.

I found a few hex head bolts that will fit, which is where I got the measurements. Probably the easiest thing to do is take the cover off and bring the scanner with you to a hardware store. I've had much better luck finding this type of thing at ACE or Tru Valu stores than at the big box stores.

As someone else said, get the shortest ones that will work.

hustlinpete

Premium Subscriber
Solved

Thanks all. It turns out these are M4 x 8 with .70 pitch. I was able to pick up four screws for $0.55. I went with the countersunk screw head as all other ISO mounting screws that I've seen are in that shape.

Here's a link to an image I created with all of the information as well as pics and scale:
https://postimg.org/image/8tcqy3ch5/

gwtc199

What kind of car are you installing to? I just tried doing the same thing in my 2010 Equinox and the scanner won't fit. The faceplate is bigger than ISO dimensions and won't let the scanner through the mounting hole.

hustlinpete

Premium Subscriber
What kind of car are you installing to? I just tried doing the same thing in my 2010 Equinox and the scanner won't fit. The faceplate is bigger than ISO dimensions and won't let the scanner through the mounting hole.

I installed to a 2012 Mazda3 sedan. But, I had to pass the scanner in from the front of the faceplate, and then cable it after it was through the hole of the metra dash kit. I have a double-DIN dash kit and have a single-DIN filling the top portion, and the single-DIN BCD536HP filling the bottom portion.

gwtc199

I was trying to do the same thing in my Equinox, used a Metra dash kit, put a single DIN stereo in one slot and was going to put the 536hp in the other, but the size of the faceplate is keeping me from doing that. If Uniden had made the scanner with a removable outer trim ring like car stereos I'd be fine. And the shape of the car's trim doesn't help, its a concave shape not flat around the opening.

Status
Not open for further replies.