ISP Mustangs

Status
Not open for further replies.

theshellguy1

GTO_04 said:
So what are they going to do for antennas then?

I was told in March that they would use handheld's with a drop in amp in district 35. Some short antenna that is built on to a small mount to the left of the back window. Sounds to silent op for my but I did see a car today working Dist 35 on Hwy 41. No way I would have ever spotted it.

bacon

I saw a blue Mustang today on I-65 northbound in Tippecanoe County (ISP District 14) around the 174 mile marker with a car pulled over. It was scary how "plain Jane" looking it was :)

KD4YGG

Database Admin
ISP D34 Jasper - Mustang

Jasper's unit is maroon in color.
The radio identifier will be 3439 "H".

ind224

I'll be at Kesler-Shaefer when those Stangs come around!! I still remember the white LX's they had with a triple gauge set...tranny temp too!!

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
saw a dark silver one....

Working versailles area over the weekend. (mustang that is)

KD4YGG

Database Admin
ISP District 34 Mustang

Sweet... Mean... Awesome...

On Wednesday, May 22, 2008, the Indiana State Police Department issued 18 New Hi Performance Patrol Vehicles to one trooper in each of the eighteen state police posts throughout Indiana. The vehicles are 2008 Ford Mustang GT’s, V8 4.6 liter 300hp engines, automatic transmissions, various colors, ultra plain and designed to blend in with normal traffic. They are equipped with interior emergency lighting, multi-directional radar and all equipment is operated by a touch pad system.

The mission statement of this program is to reduce the number and severity of crashes on high risk rural roadways in each state police district, through public education and strict traffic enforcement. The Indiana State Police has identified several “Primary Causation Factors” related to motor vehicle crashes and they are: Speed, Operating While Intoxicated, Disregarding a Traffic Control Device, Improper Passing, Following too Closely, Unsafe Lane Movement and Failure to Yield. This program is uniquely designed to combat such driving behaviors.

The Indiana State Police first utilized Ford Mustangs in 1988 as an alternative approach to traffic enforcement. Since that time, Chevrolet Camaros and Harley Davidson motorcycles have all been used for covert traffic enforcement.

Attachments

• District_34.JPG
    District_34.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 377
Last edited:

markandjere

Premium Subscriber
I saw a Mustang on I80/90 east of Elkhart last week . It was silver ,very stealthy......everything was well placed / installed . You probably would not even see the lights unless they are lit up.It had a car pulled to the side of the toll road. The poor guy probably didn't have a clue until he saw the reds and blues.

kb9sxk

It is here!

20080603-231905-pic-390460293.jpg

scannerfreak

Database Admin
Mustangs help Indiana State Police snare speeders

The Indiana State Police's newest patrol cars -- unmarked 2008 Mustang GTs -- have revved up big numbers since they hit the highways in late May.

The officers of the 18-car Mustang Unit wrote more than 4,600 speeding citations in June. That averages to about seven tickets per day, per car.

Continued

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I have spotted two of them in the Indianapolis area: a blue one with white stripes and a silver one with black stripes. As a Ford fan, my first reaction when seeing them is "oh, cool" quickly followed by "oh, cr*p, how fast am I going?". :eek:

And, yes, the installers have done a great job disguising the lights. Normally, you can't tell a thing. But when they light them up, very impressive. They even put red/blue LEDs in the rear quarter windows.

Last edited:

Viper43

In Dist 52 there is also a plain white Taurus you should watch out for. That one doesn't make stops but notifies a marked unit to make stops. Dound that out when some yo yo cut me off and saw an plain clothes trooper get on a portable and a minute later a marked unit pulled the car over that cut me off, then the same thing happened a few minutes later when a semi cut off the white Taurus :) It seems the Taurus must run the interstates & 465 only , although I have seen it numerous times in the I-70 Mt Comfort area.

V

GTO_04

In Dist 52 there is also a plain white Taurus you should watch out for. That one doesn't make stops but notifies a marked unit to make stops. Dound that out when some yo yo cut me off and saw an plain clothes trooper get on a portable and a minute later a marked unit pulled the car over that cut me off, then the same thing happened a few minutes later when a semi cut off the white Taurus :) It seems the Taurus must run the interstates & 465 only , although I have seen it numerous times in the I-70 Mt Comfort area.

V

That explains some of the special details that I have heard on the interstates. Is it a new model or old model Taurus?

GTO_04

Viper43

That explains some of the special details that I have heard on the interstates. Is it a new model or old model Taurus?

GTO_04

Newer, and I think it actually belongs to INDOT. I was actually behind it one day at McDonalds and saw it had INDOT numbering on the bumper so it may be "borrowed".

BTW, some of what you may be hearing is, for some odd reason or another ISP has been doing a lot (and I mean a lot) of traffic in Mt Comfort, they park at the Mt Comfort Admin building next to the fire station and work with hand held radar. They have been doing this for months now, never got me because I always do 30MPH through there, but numerous times they got the car in front or behind me. Kind of a trip driving through there and seeing more cops than there are people living there though :) Anyway some weeks they are there 3 or 4 days, others just one day. They get a lot of stops though, and now after months of this people are finally catching on and slowing down. They were working it the day of the Brickyard 400 too, they got 4 cars as I drove by them, 2 each way.

V

GTO_04

Yes there has been a lot of activity out there. I noticed the details on I-465 also where they were calling in marked cars to make traffic stops. A lot of the stops were trucks. How did they get the truckers on seatbelt violations? Did they have a decoy truck too?

GTO_04

Viper43

I think they are getting the truckers while a unit sits on the overpass with radar and another trooper with binoculars..... they are getting sneaky though, and I have heard rumors of them running an INDOT truck as well. I'm also wondering how much the Hoosier Helpers are helping them too, I have heard them give info to ISP 52 on a number of occasions about truckers.

They have however confiscated a few big rigs so who knows if they are using them, I see them in the lot when I go past 52

V

xx8josh9xx

Sorry, i didnt have time to read all of the post but around the airport area i have seen 5-7 of MPs and i have seen some mustangs pull over people there as well, i do know know if they are Indy Metro or ISP, but i do know here around the Vincennes (Knox Co.) and Terre Haute (Vigo Co.) area the ISP have TWO! unmarked Mustang GTS one is red and another is Black. The one i saw in Indy was black? (not sure on that one, might have been a dark blue....) be careful when around the I-465/I-70 Airport area, i always see tons of cops, there was 3 MPs sitting on top of a hill there one day! =\ also bewear if you are driving on Highway 41 around the Vincennes (Knox Co.) and Terre Haute (Vigo Co.) area! =)

Status
Not open for further replies.