ISP Phase 1 or 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lu81fitter

Just glancing through the DB, it doesn't appear that any districts are phase 2. Just lists them as "D"igital. There may be some that are, and there have not been any confirmed submissions. The Chicagoland area has some areas of phase 2. Namely Lake County. I think a lot of tech is there in certain areas, just not implemented yet.

Awesomeman92

Premium Subscriber
Most of the sites I believe are now Phase II capable, but not using it right now (exceptions, again, in the Chicago area). Answering the original question, ISP uses Phase I and probably will be for a long time still if for no other reason than the amount of radios that'll have to be replaced and the money involved in something like that.

frankdrebbin

I am still using a 996XT and HP1 yet and get everything. I got a 996P2 and got my GRE PSR 800 upgraded to P2 so when they do switch I'll be set. I suspect it will be a while yet.

Blunt630

I listen to ISP dist Chicago on my 396xt which is a p1 scanner. The state is broke, it will be a long time before everyone is p2 only.

frankdrebbin

Well our newly elected governor and his super majority will dig even deeper into our wallets and pay for public services for P2 maybe?

Reactions: TGP

frankdrebbin

Seven and a half years until retirement and I'm outta this state. I'll set up my radios elsewhere. My wife's daughters live in IN so I guess I'll become a Hoosier, although I hear scanners are kind of verboten there.

dakota91

Seven and a half years until retirement and I'm outta this state. I'll set up my radios elsewhere. My wife's daughters live in IN so I guess I'll become a Hoosier, although I hear scanners are kind of verboten there.
I feel your pain. I recently retired from Scott AFB after 30 years and my plan is to sell my house this spring and move out of Illinois as well. Although mobile use of scanners is illegal in many states, most have exceptions for those that possess a ham radio license. Cops are too busy to search cars, so as long as you drive safely, don't show up at crime scenes, and make a little effort to hide your scanner then you shouldn't have any issues.

In regards to the subject of this thread, my concern has less to do with Phase I and II and more with encryption since ISP and other agencies could probably turn it on with the flip of a switch (St. Louis Police did this in one day after the Ferguson riots a couple of years ago because protesters were using Broadcastify to listen to their radio traffic).

frankdrebbin

You must be in St. Crook Co. I live in Monroe and the MoCo SD has added one encrypted TGID here. It shows up on my scanner but can't hear anything. If they keep encrypting stuff or keep changing radio systems, these pricy scanners I have will be my last. I guess I'll just listen to MilAir and HF air if nothing else.

dakota91

You must be in St. Crook Co. I live in Monroe and the MoCo SD has added one encrypted TGID here. It shows up on my scanner but can't hear anything. If they keep encrypting stuff or keep changing radio systems, these pricy scanners I have will be my last. I guess I'll just listen to MilAir and HF air if nothing else.
I kind of see this hobby dying in a few years due to more public safety using encryption, which is probably what the Dept of Homeland Security wants them to do. I haven't used any of my actual scanners in years due to multicast distortion. Instead, I got OP-25 working on a low-cost laptop that works perfectly. If everything goes encrypted then I can just reload Windows on the laptop and use it as a normal computer again without much loss. My concern right now is that the area I intend to move to after I retire has an older P-25 system in the city, but the county just applied for a grant for a new P-25 system. Most law enforcement in the area I'm moving to have turned on encryption after upgrading their systems and I'm afraid this one will be no different.

To be honest, it probably doesn't matter because so much of what we used to hear on the radios many years ago has now transitioned to computer-based dispatching and all the really interesting stuff between the officers and dispatchers is now done over cell phones, email, or text messaging. Monitoring used to be fun and interesting, but today I hardly ever hear anything good. I sometimes miss the simple way of monitoring back when I started nearly 50 years ago when there were no cell phones or computers and all I needed to do to hear everything was to drop by a Radio Shack and buy a crystal for the frequency I needed and plug it in my scanner.

frankdrebbin

A few years back we had to install some equipment in the PD so they could communicate with new laptops installed in the patrol cars. I hear so often now when the dispatcher will say "I've sent you a message" so we're all out of the loop. This is in addition to the single TGID they use occasionally.

Blunt630

Dispatchers and officer patrol cars are all connected via an instant messenger, police specific data bases to share information ie mug shots, criminal reports, crash reports etc. You might hear officers call the laptops "island" "send the information to my island"

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Dispatchers and officer patrol cars are all connected via an instant messenger, police specific data bases to share information ie mug shots, criminal reports, crash reports etc. You might hear officers call the laptops "island" "send the information to my island"
It's not Island ..It's IWIN Illinois Wireless Information Network

Status
Not open for further replies.