• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

    We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

    If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

It does not get more stupid than this people!

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1SQB

Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2003
Messages
2,377
Location
Somewhere On Earth
Just when you think you have heard all the stupid idiotic things, along comes another one.
Our local Fire department was dispatched on a "smell of gasoline" call. Now you ask whats so stupid about that? Well here it is.....AT A GAS STATION! Yes Sir, Some idiot called on the 911 line to report a strong odor of gasoline! Now, Speaking of which, How expensive is diesel fuel these days? How much of it did we waste rolling apparatus to a "smell of gas at a gas station? Needless to say, the on scene commander confirmed that Yes there was a smell of gasoline at the gas station, and that all was normal. Give me a freakin break!

Manny
 

N1508J

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 21, 2005
Messages
88
Location
Not allowed...infraction.
More stupid-er

scanernutt said:
Just when you think you have heard all the stupid idiotic things, along comes another one.
Our local Fire department was dispatched on a "smell of gasoline" call. Now you ask whats so stupid about that? Well here it is.....AT A GAS STATION! Yes Sir, Some idiot called on the 911 line to report a strong odor of gasoline! Now, Speaking of which, How expensive is diesel fuel these days? How much of it did we waste rolling apparatus to a "smell of gas at a gas station? Needless to say, the on scene commander confirmed that Yes there was a smell of gasoline at the gas station, and that all was normal. Give me a freakin break!

Manny
Perhaps the mis-guided souls that will vote for wart hog ugly Hillary are the same bean brains that make those type of 911 calls!:roll:
 

trace1

Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2006
Messages
774
Location
EM73co
sentrymechanic said:
cpuerror said:
Next thing you know it, they will be calling 911 because of a bad smell at a dump.
Too late we have already had that call...
Well, how 'bout a call saying that it is getting dark outside about the same time the sun is setting...

Yep, it happened sort of, but it wasn't a 911 call. Many years ago when I was in the Air Force, as a Security Police I worked out in the missile field and once there was a transmission from another team on another site who seemed to be concerned that it was getting dark, and yes the sun was setting so it was getting dark because it was turning into night time. ;)
 

ibagli

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 2, 2006
Messages
971
Location
Ohio
N1508J said:
Perhaps the mis-guided souls that will vote for wart hog ugly Hillary are the same bean brains that make those type of 911 calls!:roll:
lol ya ppl who don't vote the way i do r morons lololol
 

fnnm1062

longtime member
Joined
Dec 18, 2002
Messages
398
Location
Oakland County, MI
you know yes it is funny, but it could have been a stronger than normal odor, which might signal gas in the sewers, or smeones tank leaking. We had this once in a city where I used to work, came in as a strong odor of gasoline, ended up somebody drove off and left the nozzle on spilling gas into the sewers (over 100 gallons, it was on the backside of the station out of view from the clerk). Ended up being a big mess, flus the sewers, fd on standby all day because unk exactly how much spilled at the time.

Also, some dispatch centers are very political and if someone calls for something you must generate some type of response to check it out (even if it is just an engine for a non emergency duty call to check it out)

just a few things from a dispatchers side, trying to play devils advocate
 

JESSERABBIT

Member
Joined
Jul 26, 2005
Messages
906
Location
Charles Town, Jefferson Co, WV
At the dispatcher center where I worked, the motto was "They want a fire truck, they get it and if they want an ambulance, they get it". Apparently they had an incident where the dispatcher/calltaker used their opinion and didn't send anything and that turned out to be a very wrong to do.
 

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
6,126
Location
Point Pleasant Beach, N.J.
Stupidity, not hydrogen is the most common element in the universe. Why bother to develop hydrogen fuel when cars already run on stupidity?
 

N1SQB

Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2003
Messages
2,377
Location
Somewhere On Earth
Personaly;
I think it was an idiot caller. The person wanted to remain 'anonymous" so that there is a big clue. Second, it was in a busy,high traffic side of town and there were no more callers. Third, I think they send someone out anyway to cover their rears. Wise move I think! It just sounds so stupid over the air." Reported strong odor of gasoline at a gas station."

Manny
 

DaveNF2G

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 23, 2001
Messages
9,214
Location
Rensselaer, NY
Not citizen originated, but the dumbest thing I've heard so far (in over 30 years of scanning) was a local fire department setting fire to the helicopter landing zone with highway flares.
 

Zaratsu

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
358
Location
Eastern Connecticut
scanernutt said:
Personaly;
I think it was an idiot caller. The person wanted to remain 'anonymous" so that there is a big clue. Second, it was in a busy,high traffic side of town and there were no more callers. Third, I think they send someone out anyway to cover their rears. Wise move I think! It just sounds so stupid over the air." Reported strong odor of gasoline at a gas station."

Manny

Probably some NPR-listening anti-car global warming commie. Or the "im gonna drive my bicycle in traffic in skintight pants with my butt up in the air like a baboon" crowd" that slap cars like girls when they are traveling in packs to go polish each others knobs or something:roll:

I'm thinking this call was more on the side of snide eco-revolutionary on the perimeter of Yale society, rather than some alarmed ditzy citizen.

But I have seen office people go into bloodhound mode then "GTFO" full bore panic because they could smell (barely) some natural gas evacuate with the condition that you do not touch doors or people with bare hands lest you level the building via electric shock.:roll:
 

N1508J

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 21, 2005
Messages
88
Location
Not allowed...infraction.
Stupid 911 calls

ibagli said:
lol ya ppl who don't vote the way i do r morons lololol

There appears to be an exponential growth of blithering idiots being graduated from high schools with a 4th grade education in order to be politically correct and not offend anybody. Perhaps that explains most of the nonsense 911 calls of which some examples were provided in previous post. Such lack of ability to rationally analyze sensory input could also explain the devastating results at voting booths when such mentally challenged individuals choose anti-American liberals for President.
lololol
 

Austin4Wyo

Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
148
Location
Laramie, WY
N1508J said:
There appears to be an exponential growth of blithering idiots being graduated from high schools with a 4th grade education in order to be politically correct and not offend anybody. Perhaps that explains most of the nonsense 911 calls of which some examples were provided in previous post. Such lack of ability to rationally analyze sensory input could also explain the devastating results at voting booths when such mentally challenged individuals choose anti-American liberals for President.
lololol
Must be the same ones how call people anti-American for thinking perhaps things could be run in a different fashion than your side likes.

Whether you like to believe it or not, it goes both ways, and neither side is doing a helluva great job running this country.

(insert arrogant, ignorant partisan remark here)

On topic, I fully agree with your assessment of the call, but if the standard policy to to send a response, then I suppose hands are tied. I just fail to see why political mudslinging has to be a part of the conversation, and why it couldn't be left at it being a lousy call that potentially wasted resources.

I suppose that would've wasted a chance to get in a dig at the liberls/conservatives who are "ruining the country" and are "un-American." If we don't mention American flags in all our posts, we must be ant-American, eh?
 
Joined
May 30, 2007
Messages
440
Location
Grove City, Ohio
kb2vxa said:
Stupidity, not hydrogen is the most common element in the universe. Why bother to develop hydrogen fuel when cars already run on stupidity?
Reminds me of a Frank Zappa quote:

"Some Scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is
so plentiful, is the basic building block of the
universe. I dispute that. I say there is more
stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic
building block of the universe."
 

Jay911

Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2002
Messages
9,133
Location
Bragg Creek, Alberta
I've had more than one 'odor of gas' or 'odor of propane' call to various gas stations. "Yeah, there's this really bad smell/spill (of about 2 gallons) at the gas bar and the owner isn't doing anything about it!".

I've also had one person who phoned the police to complain about people ringing her doorbell all night. She was absolutely irate and offended that nobody was doing anything about it. I should also mention this was on October 31.

The one that we get the most of around here is the reporting of flare stacks. I don't know if anyone else has natural gas or oil/fuel refineries and other such factories around their areas, but here, they're all over the landscape, and they all have vent stacks that are used to burn off excess waste product. It's especially noticeable when there's a power failure, for example, because the plant won't be able to process any of its product, so it burns it ALL.. or, another time it's bad is if there's low cloud and the flame reflects off the clouds all night. It's common to get 15 or 20 calls in a 24-hour period about any given location flaring off product, even from people who have lived here for decades and should know better.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top