It's dead, Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

garys

Premium Subscriber
My 536HP that is. I took it out of the truck back in February when I bought a SDS200. It's sat on a book case since then.

Tonight I powered it up, did the firmware update to 1.26.00 and then reloaded all of my frequency data.

Scanner powers up fine, but receives nothing. I even tried the Wx frequencies with no luck. There are two towers withing range, but nothing.

All of the frequencies are there, I'm not getting a "Nothing to Scan", the scanner just scans and doesn't stop on any channels.

My WS1065 is on the desk, with many of the same frequencies and it works fine. I swapped antenna cables, and no change on the 536HP.

I checked all of the settings, and everything appears fine. Pulled the SD card out of my 436HP and tried it. No luck. It's even held the time since I put it on the shelf. Just won't receive.

Before I send it back to Uniden for repair, I want to be sure that I missed nothing.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Before you send it in, try reverting the firmware to a previous version. May, or may not, make any difference, but it's what I'd try before shipping one of mine back. You already tried a known working memory card, from your 436HP, so that should rule ou a card error being the root cause.

Any chance of a defective antenna, or antenna connector on the scanner?

yfdgricker

Feed Provider
In addition to checking if the services are on, make sure if you used Sentinel to program the radio, that you turned on Download Favorites List for each playlist and make sure that those playlists are turned on either by making sure Monitor Favorites List is checked for each.

I always get caught up with those.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Good thought, but the ones that should be on are on.

I swapped the antenna from my WS1065 onto the scanner with no change. I opened the scanner and checked the antenna connector. Also checked the connector on the outside and it looks fine.

Check and see if your service types are turned on

garys

Premium Subscriber
Lists are set to monitor ON, then again if I didn't have them set I'd get "Nothing to Scan" I did use Sentinel to load the software.

I do appreciate the suggestions and thoughts. I don't to send it back for the equivalent of "forgot to plug it in". ;)

In addition to checking if the services are on, make sure if you used Sentinel to program the radio, that you turned on Download Favorites List for each playlist and make sure that those playlists are turned on either by making sure Monitor Favorites List is checked for each.

I always get caught up with those.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
You have a transceiver handy? If so, hold the scanner on a frequency you can TX on, set the squelch to 3, install the stock the back-of-set telescoping antenna, and try transmitting from around 10' away from the scanner. If that doesn't open squelch, then yeah, it's fubar.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Not that I can see. When I get back in town, I'll open it up again and check the continuity. It sure acts like there's no antenna, but I don't know if that is the problem.

Broken BNC connector, maybe?

garys

Premium Subscriber
I'll try that too when I get back.

You have a transceiver handy? If so, hold the scanner on a frequency you can TX on, set the squelch to 3, install the stock the back-of-set telescoping antenna, and try transmitting from around 10' away from the scanner. If that doesn't open squelch, then yeah, it's fubar.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If you are not getting anything when you do a weather scan (assuming you are reasonably close to a weather transmitter), I think that's pretty definitive on the need for repair.

Using the working 436 SD card in the 536 pretty much rules out any programming issues.

You could, depending on skill level, open it up and look at the antenna connector. (Me, I'd send it off for repair).

seth21w

The connector probably came loose from the board when you took it out of the truck just open the case and get some needle nose and very gently clamp the end of the wire back on the post , it probably just worked loose had one brand new that did that probably in shipping that is 99% all it is.

dfw1193

Lists are set to monitor ON, then again if I didn't have them set I'd get "Nothing to Scan" I did use Sentinel to load the software.

I do appreciate the suggestions and thoughts. I don't to send it back for the equivalent of "forgot to plug it in". ;)

Ok, but are they set to DOWNLOAD ON?

Avguy1

Premium Subscriber
My 536HP that is. I took it out of the truck back in February when I bought a SDS200. It's sat on a book case since then.

Tonight I powered it up, did the firmware update to 1.26.00 and then reloaded all of my frequency data.

Scanner powers up fine, but receives nothing. I even tried the Wx frequencies with no luck. There are two towers withing range, but nothing.

All of the frequencies are there, I'm not getting a "Nothing to Scan", the scanner just scans and doesn't stop on any channels.

My WS1065 is on the desk, with many of the same frequencies and it works fine. I swapped antenna cables, and no change on the 536HP.

I checked all of the settings, and everything appears fine. Pulled the SD card out of my 436HP and tried it. No luck. It's even held the time since I put it on the shelf. Just won't receive.

Before I send it back to Uniden for repair, I want to be sure that I missed nothing.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks.

Check and make sure you do not have location control turned on. That tripped me up once on my 436hp and caused the same message you have.

Avguy1

Premium Subscriber
The OP does not have any message.

They just have a 536 that scans normally but receives no signals.

He said it says "Nothing to scan" on the display. That is what will happen when location control is turned on and the frequencies are outside of your location area. That is what happened to me and so that is why I recommended that the OP check that on his unit.

AKJohnny

Scanner Addict
Premium Subscriber
He said it says "Nothing to scan" on the display. That is what will happen when location control is turned on and the frequencies are outside of your location area. That is what happened to me and so that is why I recommended that the OP check that on his unit.

No, he’s says he’s “Not” getting that message.

garys

Premium Subscriber
All of the information is in the scanner. I checked a couple of systems and the Alpha Tags, frequencies, tones, and so on are all on the card and being read by the scanner.

I've never used location control on this scanner. Well other than last night when I tried listening to the Master DB. Nothing on that. I also tried weather scan, nothing there and I should be able to receive two channels.

Seth21w, I had the case open last night and looked at the antenna cable. I was impressed with how well it was made compared to the old days. I'll recheck the connector and check for continuity as well just in case it's broken internally. I also checked the cable connectors to the extent I could.

That won't be for a few days because I'm out of town.

Again, thanks for the suggestions. I would be really cool if I could find and fix this without having to send it back.

Ok, but are they set to DOWNLOAD ON?

Status
Not open for further replies.