Jackson County - WCU

Status
Not open for further replies.

drew6553

thanks mojo they still havent been switched to their new frequency i'm back on campus and i have since discovered that the ct tone for wcu pd is 100.0

Mojo

Drew:

Welcome back. My gear is not tone-aware, but thanks. The database could use the info.
Ems-20 seems to be off to a busy start.
Do you monitor Macon County much from that location?

drew6553

i have a magmount antenna on my window sill and i pick up some of macon county to a point its hit and miss with the mountains i get more hits from macon than i do from haywood

drew6553

well mojo i must be doing better cause i was picking up macon SD this morning and quite bit of macon fire traffic

Mojo

They seem to come and go; I'm curious as to how the Solar activity affects "Line of sight" transmissions. I'm hoping as well that some kind soul will update the database to make plainer the activities on Macon County's frequencies.

drew6553

i think i have also found the ct for cullowhee fire private channel but i didnt hit enter and get it stored so ineed to hear more activity before i put it the database i dont want false info in there

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I'm not sure what you're expecting as far as database updates for Macon Co. No updates have been submitted through the proper submission process. If you have updated information for the database, please submit it(click on the Submit tab at the top of the County page) and we'll add it to the database.

Brian

Mojo

Brian:

Thanks. I was hoping for descriptions that gave more information about the activities and their geographic areas. "Fire" doesn't tell me much.:)

My location and gear don't help any, but I'll have at it-in a leisurely way.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I agree the descriptions are vague. I'm not sure who populated that information in the database to begin with. It's probably gleaned from FCC license data.

But I assure you that we admins aren't sitting around with gobs of data that we just don't want to share in the database. What you see is what we have. It's up to our subscribers to submit new information and corrections so that we can fill the database out.

You (or anyone) submits it and I or Marshall or one of the admins will add it to the database.

Brian

Mojo

Brian:

You admins will hear no complaints from me; all my submissions have been handled in a timely manner. And if it's not verified, there's no reason to post it.

The information for Macon County seemed accurate enough when I was monitoring, just vague. Local topography doesn't help.

Please be assured I was not grousing about you guys, but maybe a little bit about Macon County's scannists.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Your post motivated me to look in my own logs for Macon County, and I added some updates. It's not much, but maybe it'll encourage someone else to contribute (and correct any mistakes I just made).

Brian

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
>> I'm curious as to how the Solar activity affects "Line of sight" transmissions.

If you are referring to high band - or higher - frequencies, solar activity rarely has an affect.

Solar activity, which generally takes place in the ionosphere and upper levels of the Earth's atmosphere, has the greatest affect on longer wave lengths (lower frequencies). from below the AM broadcast band through the 6-meter ham band (50-54 MHz).

High band VHF and above frequencies are generally affected by weather conditions occuring between ground level and the Troposphere, which begins several thousand feet up.

Conditions on high band and above can be enhanced anytime the atmosphere in your region has an inversion. Under normal conditions, the air temperature is higher and the moisture level is lower at ground level than at high altitudes, but, during an inversion, the reverse occurs.

To some extent, inversions occur almost daily around sunrise and / or sunset ... which is
part of the reason why reception can be so good in the early morning, but fade out by mid-morning.

You can also experience enhanced conditions when the troposphere supports ducting. With ducting, a signal reaching the Troposphere does not pass through it. Instead, it bends to ride within the Tropo layer until it evenually exits back toward ground.

Tropo ducting can occur when a stable high pressure system parks itself over a part of the country. Shorter-term ducting can occur along a weather front.

Although Tropospheric-related enhancements generally affect high frequencies than Ionospheric "skip," there is some overlap. Under the right circumstances, either condition can affect 6-meter, the FM broadcast band and the civilian aero band. DXing the FM radio band and the lower TV channels (2 through 6) is a popular pastime for many hobbyists.

For more information on tropo and related subjects, check out:

http://www.radioreference.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=96

http://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo.html

Mojo

Thanks, Guys'

Jeff Multer:

I guess my question should have been "does increased Solar activity lead to increased interference and noise?" The question then might have resolved itself to one of "critical frequency/maximum usable frequency." Your explanation was helpful.

drew6553

well i finally figured out what i was getting digital interferance frim on old cullowhee road. i found a yagi on the side of the tuckasegee just below the dam they have at old cullowhee and it always has a data burst when i pass by the site so i put 2 and 2 together i hope it makes 4 ;)

drew6553

i think your right but it just annoys me when i wont be paying any attention and the data burst will come out

kf4pep

Odds are if you hear Haywood fire 453.200 you are only hearing the Crabtree mtn repeater, there are actually 4 repeaters on that one freq the main is on Chambers mtn but they switch if they are operating in an area it does not cover well.

If you are getting some hits on it stronger than others that is why.

drew6553

umm i cant even pick up haywood coutny period untill i am about to cross balsam in pov

Status
Not open for further replies.