Jackson/Madison County

Status
Not open for further replies.

ki4hyf

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone listen to the MCSO since they went to DMR? I bought a BCD436HP a couple of months ago, and found out pretty quickly that the info for them in the RR database isn't correct. I'm guessing the LCNs are not right. I can hear everything if I just use 460.350 as LCN 1. Also, JMCGH (Jackson General Hospital) has gone to MotoTrbo as well. Also, does anyone have a timeline for JPD to switch to DMR? I've heard them testing it, so I imagine it won't be long, like maybe after the holidays.

KD4YGG

Database Admin
KI4HYF

Thank you for the updated information; database has been updated for this system.

Any additional information on other frequencies in use, LCN's, Color Code, or talkgroup use would be much appreciated.

ka4bni

Feed Provider
Does anyone listen to the MCSO since they went to DMR? I bought a BCD436HP a couple of months ago, and found out pretty quickly that the info for them in the RR database isn't correct. I'm guessing the LCNs are not right. I can hear everything if I just use 460.350 as LCN 1. Also, JMCGH (Jackson General Hospital) has gone to MotoTrbo as well. Also, does anyone have a timeline for JPD to switch to DMR? I've heard them testing it, so I imagine it won't be long, like maybe after the holidays.
The City of Jackson is not going DMR. They are installing a Motorola P-25 Phase I FDMA trunked 2 site simulcast system (not TACN). The north tower is active, but the south tower is still under construction. Will probably be spring before the switch over. I've been told that all of the PD and possibly FD talk groups will be encrypted.
The Jackson General Ambulance service (Med link) information in the RR database is correct.Jackson General Hospital operations use a UHF Mototrbo trunked system.

ki4hyf

Premium Subscriber
KI4HYF

Thank you for the updated information; database has been updated for this system.

Any additional information on other frequencies in use, LCN's, Color Code, or talkgroup use would be much appreciated.

I have quite a few. The most notable one for MCSO is the talkgroup 120. They refer to it as "Special Ops". Surprisingly enough it is not encrypted...yet. I tried to use the BCD436HP's LCN finder, but it seems like some of the listed frequencies are dead, preventing the scanner from discovering LCNs. However, there is a good chance I'm doing something wrong, since it is a relatively new (to me) scanner. I'll try to compile a list of changes, but it may take a while, I've started taking some new medications and it's taking me a while to get used to them.

ki4hyf

Premium Subscriber
The City of Jackson is not going DMR. They are installing a Motorola P-25 Phase I FDMA trunked 2 site simulcast system (not TACN). The north tower is active, but the south tower is still under construction. Will probably be spring before the switch over. I've been told that all of the PD and possibly FD talk groups will be encrypted.
The Jackson General Ambulance service (Med link) information in the RR database is correct.Jackson General Hospital operations use a UHF Mototrbo trunked system.

Is that going to be a 700 mhz system? Do you know the frequencies, and if so, can you disclose them? The system I'm talking about is UHF 453.100, 453.400 and 453.475. According to the FCC (FRN #0001762236), it is for JPD. I observed activity on 453.100; CC5 TG1 and RID634. Would that system be for interoperability with MCSO? Supposedly, they are supposed to be able to communicate with them on their new system.

Yes, I didn't mean to imply that Medlink was wrong. However, the hospital frequencies on RR are listed as FMN and not DMR. Medlink is also apparently simulcast as TG252 on JMCGH's UHF DMR system.

ka4bni

Feed Provider
Jackson will be re-purposing their old 800 mhz frequencies for this new system. Right now, they have them divided in half. Half on the old system, half on the new. When they get ready to bring the city online, they will use cross patches between the old and new systems while they convert subscriber units over.
Do a search, with your scanner, of the current Jackson 800 channels and you should find the new P-25 control channel transmitting, but there's probably not any traffic on it yet.

I'm not really sure what the three 450 mhz frequencies are being used for. They're licensed for 4 watts ERP mobile so they will not cover much area and they have a Mototrbo emission designator.
I do know they're planning a Mototrbo control station to link to a Sheriff's Dept. talk group on the new system so the city units can communicate with the county. I also think they're doing the same type link between the city and county fire departments.

I agree with the Medlink patch to the Hospital's UHF system. I have a friend employed by the hospital who uses a UHF portable and he can monitor Medink through the UHF system.

ki4hyf

Premium Subscriber
Awesome! That answers a lot of questions I had. I wondered what that noise was on one of their channels. Now I feel rather stupid...

ki4hyf

Premium Subscriber
Here are some of the JMCGH changes that I know of:

(These are all MotoTrbo Capacity Plus)
453.3500 CC10
461.2000 CC11
463.9500 CC12
464.9750 CC13

The talk groups are correct, but their description is just my guess:
241 Housekeeping
243 Orderly 1
245 Orderly 2
248 Unknown
249 Maintenance (confidence high)
251 Security (confidence high)
252 Medlink (confidence high)

I don't know the LCNs, so I'll try to discover them soon, I hope.

ki4hyf

Premium Subscriber
I noticed that 453.3500 is listed also as a MCSO frequency. I've listened to a lot of traffic on that particular frequency, but I've only heard JMCGH/MedLink traffic. The FCC has it listed as one of JMCGH's.

Another thing, Looking at talkgroups for Jackson/Madison County (including JEA and SouthWest), none of the talkgroups are the same, like JEA has a hypothetical TG 151, and no one else has that same TG. It would make sense if they were to share frequencies, but it's not likely JEA and MCSO would ever need to talk to one another. It make me think the same entity has setup all of the DMR stations. Just curious.

KD4YGG

Database Admin
Database is only as good as on-the-ground confirmed information.

Please pass along any corrections, additions, etc.

ki4hyf

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I agree completely. I didn't mean for it to sound like I was dogging anyone. I know the RR database is massive, and it would be a miracle if it was 100% accurate at all times. I'm sure that what little information I have supplied isn't error-free. You guys do a great job of keeping up with what seems like constant change, especially in the past few years. My hat's off to the database admins.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Here is what several people that come to RR looking for info do not understand When the TACN system in West Tn got all 20 sites up and running in just over a month I drove over 1000 miles spent several hours driving West Tn logging AND POSTING the site data. Gas alone was well over $250 as I would sit and use a laptop with a PRO106 and Pro96com logging all the site names, all the voice channels, TG's and RID's. Some sites have had changes more voice channels added one site has had the control channel changed and I have not had the chance to go and check these sites but others have. What the new people that come in here and complain about the UNIDEN or WHISTLER databases not being right and it is UNIDEN or WHISTLER's fault does not understand all the hard work that the dedicated members do to keep the database here up to date which keeps the UNIDEN and WHISTLER database up to date.

ki4hyf

Premium Subscriber
I couldn't agree more. Without good "boots on the ground" confirmed data can't make it to the database admins. Speaking of that, I've been hearing MCSO testing some new TGs. I'll post more info as soon as I confirm it.

KD4YGG

Database Admin
Madison County system updated with confirmed information. Yes two sites with one frequency each, both in LCN 1. One site uses CC of 1, the other uses CC of 3. See database for details.

Jackson P-25 system now available with confirmed information. System is currently up with control channel transmitting. This system is in the very very early days of implementation.

ki4hyf

Premium Subscriber
I'm just wondering how JPD is going to utilize both MotoTrbo and P-25. Will they have 2 different radios in their cars, and if so, will they have to carry 2 walkie-talkies? I'm not a logistics manager, but it seems to me that if the city and county were to use TACN, it would be optimal for agency-to-agency communications.

ki4hyf

Premium Subscriber
It's all about the money isn't it? And I just noticed Alan already answered how they will interop P-25 and MotoTrbo. I think I tried to over complicate things.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
I'm just wondering how JPD is going to utilize both MotoTrbo and P-25. Will they have 2 different radios in their cars, and if so, will they have to carry 2 walkie-talkies? I'm not a logistics manager, but it seems to me that if the city and county were to use TACN, it would be optimal for agency-to-agency communications.

That's not as far off as you might think it....

Here in Indy, at the IndyGo Transit Center, they use private security, and actual LEO for security. The Security guys have tiny lil cute DMR HTs.... IndyGo supervisors carry XTS5000 and those lil cute DMR radios..... The LEOs carry APX or XTS depending on which agency they work for, as well as those cute lil DMRs.... The joys of interop in failure mode when it came to planning this one out. So yes, you could see 2 radios on officers. Though it would be easier to have an Smart Bridge etc....

Status
Not open for further replies.