Jamie Davis Towing

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireless1978

Premium Subscriber
Is anyone streaming Jamie Davis Towing or any other Coquihalla Highway radio comms online?

Also, do the truckers in Canada use CBs or some other form of comms?

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Is anyone streaming Jamie Davis Towing or any other Coquihalla Highway radio comms online?

In western Canada truckers tend to use a set of VHF frequencies called LAD channels. There are four of them and they're supposed to be used on logging and oilfield (drilling) leases, but pretty much everybody has them. I'm on mobile and can't dig them up right now, but I do remember LAD 1 is 154.1.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ

I don't know how much BC is used. Probably lots by US truckers that truck here in Canada but many truckers in BC/Alberta use VHF.

As for streaming, I do not believe anyone streams his comms, and it would be extremely difficult to stream anything on the Coquihalla simply because there is very little population between Hope and Merrit. The RCMP is encrypted, there is no fire service along a good stretch of the highway and unless there is an accident there will be very little BCAS comms to listen too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wireless1978

Premium Subscriber
I don't know how much BC is used. Probably lots by US truckers that truck here in Canada but many truckers in BC/Alberta use VHF.

As for streaming, I do not believe anyone streams his comms, and it would be extremely difficult to stream anything on the Coquihalla simply because there is very little population between Hope and Merrit. The RCMP is encrypted, there is no fire service along a good stretch of the highway and unless there is an accident there will be very little BCAS comms to listen too.

Gotcha.. The wife and I have been watching the netflix series and i'd like to listen, but I understand the remoteness probably prevents it.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I just looked on Broadcastify, there are no streams of that area. The busiest in the winter would be Ministry of Transportation, they would have lots of comms, but their repeater network is designed to cover the highways and quite often are low lever repeaters. Looking at a MOH radio map, it appears there are three different repeaters to cover the 120km of The Coquihalla from Hope to Merritt. It is the same for the BC Ambulance Service as well, 3 repeaters for the Coq for the same 120Km, likely the two systems are at similar sites. It would be almost impossible to monitor the whole Coquihalla from either Hope or Merritt. There is next to no housing between the two towns that a person could set up a feed, and then an internet connection would likely have to be via a cellular modem(really pricey data wise here in Canada)

NightStorm

Jamie's trucks all carry LADD1, and Aggressive Towing channel... they use Jason's channel (Aggressive) when communicating truck-to-truck, and LADD1 for general communication. Since Jamie still has a stake in Aggressive, he's technically allowed to camp on their frequency.

We (Quiring) tend to use LADD1, or VSA's channel when up on Highway 5. The VSA channel keeps us in touch with the maintenance contractor, while LADD1 keeps us in touch with a large percentage of the traffic coming through the area.

Mario's (where Adam and Monkhouse ended up) have their own frequency that they utilize almost exclusively.
Jordie at Mission was about to switch to digital (as were we), but when he got squeezed out of his grandfathers company, we decided we would stick with the system we have (we were going to get a "volume discount" by outfitting all our trucks).

CB radios, while still technically in use, are next to useless up there... too many mountains and valleys... about the only places up here you will still find CB in use are in 4x4 clubs, and local pits (for comms between truck and loader).

A lot of us (the tow companies you see on the show) primarily make use of the Telus LINK system for inter-truck and inter-staff communication, as it has service anywhere you have cell service, utilizes the PTT standards, and allows us to be exempt from the handheld laws.
At any rate, glad to see you enjoy the show. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

VE5JL

Premium Subscriber
Jamie's trucks all carry LADD1, and Aggressive Towing channel... they use Jason's channel (Aggressive) when communicating truck-to-truck, and LADD1 for general communication. Since Jamie still has a stake in Aggressive, he's technically allowed to camp on their frequency.

We (Quiring) tend to use LADD1, or VSA's channel when up on Highway 5. The VSA channel keeps us in touch with the maintenance contractor, while LADD1 keeps us in touch with a large percentage of the traffic coming through the area.

Mario's (where Adam and Monkhouse ended up) have their own frequency that they utilize almost exclusively.
Jordie at Mission was about to switch to digital (as were we), but when he got squeezed out of his grandfathers company, we decided we would stick with the system we have (we were going to get a "volume discount" by outfitting all our trucks).

CB radios, while still technically in use, are next to useless up there... too many mountains and valleys... about the only places up here you will still find CB in use are in 4x4 clubs, and local pits (for comms between truck and loader).

A lot of us (the tow companies you see on the show) primarily make use of the Telus LINK system for inter-truck and inter-staff communication, as it has service anywhere you have cell service, utilizes the PTT standards, and allows us to be exempt from the handheld laws.
At any rate, glad to see you enjoy the show. :)

Love the show and the fact that they use radio comms from the truckers and tow trucks. I hope the show lasts a long time.

73s.

Status
Not open for further replies.