Johns Creek PD; Lost our feed supplier

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjey

Does anyone have another source for this feed? it called Chatcom and is located in North fulton ga.
Thanks,
Tjey

N8IAA

You seem to have an analog trunking scanner. Have you put the Fulton county system into it, with the Chatcomm TG's? Having control over your own radio makes it easier:) Things happen to feeds which are not able to be controlled by the provider.
HTH,
Larry

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
maybe it's because running a feed actually costs feed providers' money and now that at&turd and other ISP's are metering bandwidth, it's a factory of paying to provide a feed that someone else is making a profit off of. The average feed uses 5GB of upstream a month. pretty substantial. if you're a family of four, with Netflix and HD video viewing, you can easily approach your ISP's cap. 5GB is quite a bit.

Or maybe they just don't want to leave their PC powered up and running using around $70-$150 worth of electricity every year (source of my figure is the US Department of Energy)

just a thought.

sonyinsider

I have a dedicated server with 10TB of monthly bandwidth. I can support the Chatcom/John's Creek feed forever if need be. It's been down a while and I miss it. Whoever owns it, or knows who owns it please have them get a hold of me.

procopper7005

Premium Subscriber
I have a dedicated server with 10TB of monthly bandwidth. I can support the Chatcom/John's Creek feed forever if need be. It's been down a while and I miss it. Whoever owns it, or knows who owns it please have them get a hold of me.

An old analog trunk tracker is less than 100 bucks now on ebay. How about you pickup like 4 of them and provide us with Roswell, Sandy Springs, Alpharetta, and Johns Creek on separate feeds.

Thanks in advance.

sonyinsider

That isn't the best option, but I might have to do it if nothing comes up soon. What model should I get? I rather just do a multi-feed like before. Can't I just provide server space for someone instead? We're talking long term here. Please provide as much information as possible, thanks.

procopper7005

Premium Subscriber
That isn't the best option, but I might have to do it if nothing comes up soon. What model should I get? I rather just do a multi-feed like before. Can't I just provide server space for someone instead? We're talking long term here. Please provide as much information as possible, thanks.

Radio Shack Pro-163 Police Fire Emergency 1000 Channel Scanner (GREAT CONDITION) | eBay

something like this would work. I would do it myself but I just have a laptop with aircard, no fixed internet or dedicated computer.

If you have that much bandwidth it would make sense to host it yourself. Where are you located? In range of the Fulton TRS I hope?

sonyinsider

I really don't want to spend a 100+ on a scanner and also provide a feed forever. I can provide the feed. Can someone donate a unit, or maybe we can raise some money? I can't believe that we can't find someone who can take advantage of my bandwidth.

nunyax

Bandwidth isn't that much of an issue in providing a feed. From the "Becoming a feed provider" page:

Providing a live audio feed does not require a dedicated computer - you can use the computer you normally use as long as you leave it running 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to broadcast your feed.

Additionally, providing a scanner feed will not slow down your Internet connection - the digitized audio that is sent to our servers uses only a fraction of the upload portion of your connection... the part of your connection which you use very little of anyways. Providing a scanner feed will use approximately 5GB of bandwidth per month.

Our audio feeds are encoded at a sample rate of 22050 Hz, a constant bitrate of 16 or 32 kbps, and either 1 or 2 channels depending on whether the feed is mono or stereo (stereo is used only if two radios are being used to provide the audio).

Many feed providers stream multiple feeds to RR over regular home DSL/cable internet connections. They only stream to RR and listeners connect to RR's audio relay servers, not directly to them.

procopper7005

Premium Subscriber
I really don't want to spend a 100+ on a scanner and also provide a feed forever. I can provide the feed. Can someone donate a unit, or maybe we can raise some money? I can't believe that we can't find someone who can take advantage of my bandwidth.

Where are you located?

sonyinsider

I live in Alpharetta (near Windward), but I could set up a 24/7 install in a residential home in Roswell near the local high school.

procopper7005

Premium Subscriber
I live in Alpharetta (near Windward), but I could set up a 24/7 install in a residential home in Roswell near the local high school.

Perfect, you could monitor anyone on the Fulton TRS including Alpharetta, Johns Creek, Sandy Springs, etc.

While the JC feed was nice, Alpharetta PD tends to have more action.

Status
Not open for further replies.