Johnson county set on encryption following Linn county

Status
Not open for further replies.

mws72

Premium Subscriber
Was it just my imagination, but it seemed there was a wiki page with radio ids for the Linn and Johnson County P25 trunked system? I can't seem to find it now..

ISW376

Premium Subscriber
Just an update:
Meeting is not the 23rd.
The meeting is the 22nd this Friday 7:30am at the JECC.
They are planning on moving forward with encryption this is the last chance to get it over turned prior to implementing full ENC on LAW TG's

timkilbride

Database Admin
Just an update:
Meeting is not the 23rd.
The meeting is the 22nd this Friday 7:30am at the JECC.
They are planning on moving forward with encryption this is the last chance to get it over turned prior to implementing full ENC on LAW TG's

Did you attend?

Tim

ISW376

Premium Subscriber
Yes at this time encryption is a go for law 1 and law 3 as a trial run after 90 days their will be a meeting about how encryption is going and to keep or go back.

Encryption should begin mid of October or early November. They seemed hesitate to encrypt after I spoke however the sheriff was set on doing it during the meeting soba decision was made, but board members after hearing my concerns would like a review in 90 days to see if their are any drawbacks so yes at this time encryption will happen and I will be gathering information from outside agencies in hopes that at the 90day review their is enough to un-encrypt again.

mws72

Premium Subscriber
The latest minutes of the ICIS board was placed on their website. Looks like the "we have encryption so we have to it use", crowd has spoken. Mention of the interop channels will be encrypted. My belief is that encryption should be only a case by case use, But then I seldom hear departments moving to interop channels during a chase or large events,

ISW376

Premium Subscriber
So I have a list of talk groups I have yet to submit to RR Database but from the ISICSB 2015-01 Procedure: ISICS Interop TG State & Region

Their are 6 regions for interop zones for each region their are 9 interop TG's.
An example for region 1 is:
IACALL1
IATAC2 THRU IATAC6
IATAC7E THRU IATAC8E
IALAW9E
Of the TG's listed only 3 are slated for encryption.
IATAC7E
IATAC8E
IALAW9E
This will be the same for the rest of the regions.

I will submit my info to the DB now and see it will be accepted however at the current time it could be a while before anyone even hears the Interop TG's because ISICS isn't statewide operational yet as we all know.

bailly2

if you already have a p25 scanner you can listen to the input frequencies with a short antenna like for nascar, attenuated and you'll know if something is happening nearby ...search fcc genmen database for one of the frequencies listed on the page for the trunked system on radioreference, on the fcc page enter the frequencies that are used by more than 1 user, those will be the mobile side

mws72

Premium Subscriber
BTW since my brother passed away last month, the only reason I traveled to Iowa City was to take him to the VA. So I have no idea if or when I will get back there.

timkilbride

Database Admin
For whatever reason, Marion PD took the encryption(or the radio lost its keys) off console ID 5720001. Console ID 5720002 is still using encryption. This has only changed on Marion PD Dispatch talkgroup.

Tim

timkilbride

Database Admin
For whatever reason, Marion PD took the encryption(or the radio lost its keys) off console ID 5720001. Console ID 5720002 is still using encryption. This has only changed on Marion PD Dispatch talkgroup.

Tim

Looks like they got the encryption issue fixed yesterday.

Tim

ISW376

Premium Subscriber
Johnson county will begin programing Encrypting LAW TG's in late December and should be completed by end of February or early March.

Holst44

I have a Pro-82 scanner receiver. How do I switch the counties from polk county to johnson county

ISW376

Premium Subscriber
Yes JECC is in a 90day Law Enforcement Encryption evaluation in June and July their will be more debate as to wether or not Encryption will stay or go.
Encryption began in March as approved from September's board meeting and is on 3 new Law channels for a easy transition should Encryption be turned down in the next meeting.

I have been in contact with Dave Wilson Johnson counties EMA director for a few years Encryption has always been debated and is still being debated.

90day trial was put into place thanks to me showing up to the meetings otherwise it would of been a done deal.

I still have high hopes that I can convince more elected officials that dispatch channels are unessary for Encryption.

The motion passed last time but my concerns were heard which is why it could go either way in June and July.

Our county is unique and is at least hearing my concerns but I need more people than just me to try and change their minds after the 90 day evaluation.

derrick_IAUSA

Yes JECC is in a 90day Law Enforcement Encryption evaluation in June and July their will be more debate as to wether or not Encryption will stay or go.
Encryption began in March as approved from September's board meeting and is on 3 new Law channels for a easy transition should Encryption be turned down in the next meeting.

I have been in contact with Dave Wilson Johnson counties EMA director for a few years Encryption has always been debated and is still being debated.

90day trial was put into place thanks to me showing up to the meetings otherwise it would of been a done deal.

I still have high hopes that I can convince more elected officials that dispatch channels are unessary for Encryption.

The motion passed last time but my concerns were heard which is why it could go either way in June and July.

Our county is unique and is at least hearing my concerns but I need more people than just me to try and change their minds after the 90 day evaluation.

Hello, ISW376 and everyone else

I am just getting back into scanning since everything has gone digital around here. (It has been a while)

Anyway I have just purchased a Phase II scanner (in the mail) before realizing most of the police talkgroups are encrypted around here.

I was wondering about an update on this whole encrypted debate, since it's been a few months since you've replied to this thread.

Is there anything I can do to help with reversing or stopping this encryption?

I would like to help, any way that I can, but I need some assistance from someone who knows what they are doing.

ISW376

Premium Subscriber
I have been in contact with Dave Wilson our County EMA Director for about 5 years discussing Encryption methods in use.

Since the Coral ridge mall shooting errors have been surfacing to safe guard Everyone's Rights to Protection on the radio system.

Prior to the current 90day trial the LAW-1 and LAW-3 were designated as Dispatch Primary channels but sometimes that became a TAC channel because its easier for units not responding to move to an adjacent channel then to move the responding units racing to the scene.
the issue is that because Dispatch TG is always in the clear once it is designated as a TAC Channel it is going out live in real time

So this is the main reason for Encryption and it will be hard to persuade a change on that note.

June 2017 Board Meeting

Other reasons cited were:
1] Live Feeds.
Yes TAC channels aren't allowed on the Feeds but the issue is:
In RR LAW-1 and LAW-3 are listed as Law Dispatch if it becomes Tactical it stays on the feed.
2] Media showed up at a scene in Lone Tree prior to Law Enforcement arriving to the scene.
3] Coral ridge mall shooting Names went out on Law-1 in the clear before being switched to a Encrypted TG.
4] Officer Safety in that People Have been busted with Apps on their phone during traffic stops.

Johnson county gave great reasons in the 1st meeting.

I brought up:
1] Transparency
2] Interoperability
3] Counties that were clear then ENC and now Clear again [Mc Henry Co IL]
4] Public Safety
5] Off duty Officers
6] Partial ENC
7] Homeland Security Use Of Encryption Guide Book
8] Less Coverage reported by agency's in other states when they went ENC.

At the end of the meeting they wanted to follow up with another Meeting but Encryption so far was passing.

September 2017:
I Printed off articles, Researched CANTRE/CARE, and showed up to the meeting all issues were discussed.
Encryption was approved with a 90day Trial approved for March Re-programing.

March 2018:
Encryption Begins.

June 2018:
Another Board Meeting
Iowa City Police Chief sat in along with Johnson County Sheriff.
I briefly discussed issues I had since Encryption went into place about feeling disconnect from officers, feeling less safe in my county, ending up at a unsafe scene where it used to be I could avoid a route, Tornado Warnings not getting up to date information due to ENC.

I told both the Chief and the Sheriff that they should Look into partial Encryption for the next meeting.
Dispatch Clear Officers encrypted.
Both seemed to like the Idea wont no more till the next meeting.

August 2018: a meeting will occur and I will post the Date wants posted.
this will be the final date where Encryption will stay or go half/half.

A petition was discussed on here but I don't think it ever got a round, the Media is siding with LE on encryption they have been very supportive and I don't know why and Johnson County did not give them Radios they are on a email system.

If you have any ideas or Thoughts post them here or Email the Chiefs/Board members they are taking in all concerns back in January/March a Board member received a very unhappy email from a solon resident and was heard.

Honestly though its a 50/50 so any input will help.

Eugene

I would wager that the reason the media is so cooperative and supportive is because even though they haven't been issued radios YET, it may be a "just wait till this 90 days is up" nod-nod-wink-wink. I live in a state where the march toward encryption is gaining momentum by the day. The powers that be basically give their communities the middle finger with little if any input. It will take efforts on the part of people like you to hopefully set enough precedent to get some of this madness reversed. Good luck.

Eugene KG4AVE

richwig

As far as am station I believe it was kcjj

Way late to this party, but if that radio station was rebroadcasting scanner traffic live, they were violating FCC rule 73.1207:

(c) The transmissions of non-broadcast stations may be rebroadcast under the following conditions:

(1) Messages originated by privately-owned non-broadcast stations other than those in the Amateur and CB Radio Services may be broadcast only upon receipt of prior permission from the non-broadcast licensee...

And you can bet they didn't have permission.

richwig

...I brought up a lot of examples not to encrypt one reason including the shooting of 2 Des Moines officers being shot and the Des Moines pd screaming over the radio stating any citizens monitoring on a scanner please call 911 if you have any info...

I was working that night (I'm a DSM TV and radio engineer) and heard the calls live. I think we still have the recordings provided by DMPD and Westcom. That plea still gives me chills...desperate officials trying to get any information to stop the wacko targeting cops. I don't know if DSM will shut that door once it finally goes digital in the next year, but it seems Linn is going to shut it. I hope nothing happens to make them regret it down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.