Joint Base San Antonio Encryption Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbsarandolphmonitor

Air band monitoring JBSA-Randolph
Last week the Joint Base San Antonio fire department switched to using encryption on the truck and handheld radios. Now it looks like the base security has also switched. Randolph AFB security has always used encryption on the car and handheld radios. Fort Sam Gate Guards tg 4031 is now encrypted. I don't know about the other Fort Sam MP tgs. Lackland AFB has also used some encryption on the base security tgs.

Don

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
So sad...all the encryption in use now in Texas.
So much for open airways. I live in Williamson County and its all encrypted too.

Makes me second guess myself on my new SDS-200 and Unication G5.

jbsarandolphmonitor

I live east northeast of Randolph AFB. Planes fly over my location taking off and landing at Randolph AFB. I have started Monitoring the air bands.

Thanks
Don

nd5y

Up here at Sheppard (another site on the same system) there appears to be user selectable encryption on any talkgroup. I don't know if the whole system is configured that way at all locations. Security Forces here are encrypted 99% of the time. All the other high traffic talkgroups are 99% clear.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Being military bases those who hadn't had ENC till now are lucky. A lot started using it when they had the the smart zone with DES on police and fire services in a lot bases or ranges. Then phase 1, AES when p25 rolled out.

jbsarandolphmonitor

All I know about the system is what I can hear off of the Randolph AFB site. I don't go to the other bases in San Antonio.

Don

NC5267

Premium Subscriber
I have noticed the encryption or partial encryption trend in the database on this system for their respective fire departments starting all over the country. Must be something from DOD to encrypt all public safety channels. Not surprising considering it is all military bases. On the Randolph site, it seems just the units are encrypted and dispatch is in the clear.

Deadguy

I have noticed the encryption or partial encryption trend in the database on this system for their respective fire departments starting all over the country. Must be something from DOD to encrypt all public safety channels. Not surprising considering it is all military bases. On the Randolph site, it seems just the units are encrypted and dispatch is in the clear.

Speaking for the Air Force, it absolutely is. I am unable to provide the AFI reference because I'm on my personal laptop, but...summed up the AFI says that Sec Fo AND first responders (fire and EMS)...need to be encrypted. It does NOT mention any other agencies though.

Unofficially, I've spoken with a few radio techs and they are often AGAINST blanket encryption due to the possibility of dropped keys and emergency communication because barely any end users have a KVM to reload keys and there is a X day turnaround with comm to rekey LMRs...BUT OTA rekeying could change that...

I'm comfortable saying that 95% of the rest of the communication on bases will be clear for a bit longer. Depending on what kind of base you're listening to there is hella interesting stuff to listen too...if not only for the reason that most of our people have no idea that our radios are so easy to monitor...:p

jbsarandolphmonitor

Thanks for the information. I am still monitoring the system. I mostly listen to Randolph AFBs one AM Ops tg the one Tower net tg the four MOC tgs and the one POL tg. I do have a radio monitoring the ATC frequencies.

Don

DonJuanIII

Premium Subscriber
[QUOTE="

I'm comfortable saying that 95% of the rest of the communication on bases will be clear for a bit longer. Depending on what kind of base you're listening to there is hella interesting stuff to listen too...if not only for the reason that most of our people have no idea that our radios are so easy to monitor...:p[/QUOTE]

Yes...I've heard some interesting "PRVT" traffic using the TGID wildcard feature...

LEH

Premium Subscriber
I live in Southeastern VA and I am seeing a great deal of encryption on the bases near me; JBLE (Langley/Eustis), NOB Norfolk, Little Creek Amphibious Base, Norfolk Naval Shipyard (Portsmouth), and NAS Oceana.

Langley is nearly 100% encrypted now, including civil engineering and aircraft maintenance. :(

jbsarandolphmonitor

Looks like most of the bases around D.C. are mostly encrypted. Evenn an old base I lived at Scot AFB Il is 100% encrypted.

Thanks
Don

jbsarandolphmonitor

My radio doesn’t mute for encryption. So when a tg is in mix mode I just lock it out. That is why I stopped listening to the base security and fire department.

Don

aprswatcher

Premium Subscriber
I live 100 miles East of Malmstrom AFB, they have a very large trunked system that covers a very large area around central Montana. I have monitored it numerous times and every Talkgroup is encrypted 100% of the time!
I have yet to hear any Talkgroup "in the clear"!
73, Rex

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I live 100 miles East of Malmstrom AFB, they have a very large trunked system that covers a very large area around central Montana. I have monitored it numerous times and every Talkgroup is encrypted 100% of the time!
I have yet to hear any Talkgroup "in the clear"!
73, Rex
Yea, anything involving nuclear weapons is going to be encrypted 100% of the time. And that is exactly what that system is designed to support...

Status
Not open for further replies.