just a hello from a new guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

tubbyguy01

Howdy people

Just found this forum while looking for info on getting my technician liscense . Maybe in a few days when I actually know something about ham radio I might have a few questions .
But for now I am pretty good ... I've found a few pretty good web sites for the study materials and I have found a local test in about a month to sign up for .

I also have a first radio coming IN the mail a baofeng hand held .. maybe not the best choice for a first radio . But living on a very fixed income it was that or nothing . And being as it will be at least a month before I can use it I'll have plenty of time to learn how to program it .

Anyhoo a tiny bit about me ... 42 , live in north east Ohio and partially disabled so I have a fair bit of free time to kill . I do have a few other hobbies to occupy my time ... shooting , reloading and bullet casting .
And I have the start to a small machine shop out in my garage where I spend the bulk of my time .

I'm sure to have a zillion questions in the future so thanks for your help in advance

osros

Feed Provider
I guess I will be first to jump in, Welcome to the forum and soon to the Hobby. I just passed my test and waiting for my callsign. I finally decided to get mine but been on SWL and scanners for many years. Good luck with your test when you do go for it and dont stop at Tech keep on going when your comfortable.

There are alot of good people here that are happy to help, answers questions and bend over backwards with help and info.

Cheers

tubbyguy01

Thanks guys , I have come up with a question that I can't seem to find an answer for .
though this probably isn't the best for it . I'll give it a try .

One of the things I'd like to do in the future once I know for sure what direction I want to go is get a base set up out In my shop where I spend the bulk of my time .

But I run a few of my machines on vfd's ( veriable frequency drive ) and when in use they play heck with my am-fm stereo . Will this be a concern with ham radios .. and I'd so would it be possible to filter out the interference.

KE0GXN

Welcome to the best "radio" forum on the internet. Great folks in her who can help with most any question.

Good luck on your quest to get licensed, amateur radio is a great hobby filled with many great people.

I have been having a blast since day one!

osros

Feed Provider
Thanks guys , I have come up with a question that I can't seem to find an answer for .

One of the things I'd like to do in the future once I know for sure what direction I want to go is get a base set up out In my shop where I spend the bulk of my time .

But I run a few of my machines on vfd's ( veriable frequency drive ) and when in use they play heck with my am-fm stereo . Will this be a concern with ham radios .. and I'd so would it be possible to filter out the interference.

I'm not a pro but I would say yes especially on HF since anything almost interferes with HF, being in such close proximity I'm not sure if even filters will help but worth a try. Do these machines need to be on while your using your Ham gear? Or are you looking to just listen while you work?

Since you starting out with Vhf/Uhf portable maybe not as much just have to try and see.

Last edited:

tubbyguy01

Yes it's just to be able to listen while I play with the machines .
So it's not such a big deal if I get interference I can just do less work :)

osros

Feed Provider
Yes it's just to be able to listen while I play with the machines .
So it's not such a big deal if I get interference I can just do less work :)

Ok good deal it's one of those things you have to just try and see what happens, some freqs may have interference and others won't. You can skip the freqs that are noisy and focus on the ones are not. Since your probably be dealing with repeaters in your area on that portable I'm sure some or all of the repeater outputs may be fine just got to check and see.

I got a mini solid state PC here that I thought would be minimal or no RFI but turn out is kicking out a strong signal at 150mhz full scale strength on my radios, nasty little bugger...you just never know.

K4EET

Chaplain

tubbyguy01,

Glad to hear you plan to get your Tech license. You will love the hobby. One aspect of Amateur Radio is Radio Frequency Interference (RFI) mitigation so it sounds like you'll be jumping into that frying pan right away! You might want to do a book search at the ARRL (American Radio Relay League) and Amazon for books on RFI Abatement and Mitigation to see what you can learn about that topic. Sounds like you will be up against RFI at your shop environment.

Also, welcome to the ranks of disabled hams; me being one myself. I am a semi-paraplegic in a wheelchair. Ham radio is my outlet to the world. :)

73, Dave, K4EET

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
First of all welcome to the Forum and yes go get your Tech Ham Lic,and the first radio you got will get you started i know one ham that think the more radios he buys the more of a ham it makes him which is not true at all,you can start small and over time work your way up......

Status
Not open for further replies.