just a question.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
i own several radios which i use to monitor just like scanners, the scan rate is obviously slower, but the audio is great. my question is i have a pro 106 which i currently monitor my digital stuff with, can i do the same as i am doing with my other full blown radios if i buy a digital mobile or portable or do i need a system key, etc. if thats the case then obviously its not worth the time and/or expense. any other ideas? I'm also thinking of getting a mobile scanner if i can't do the radio deal, so which would be better AUDIO-WISE the 996 or the pro-197? i like the 106 but i'm sure the mobiles are different

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Joe;
I have used my 996T in a mobile environment many times to monitor the CSP and a few other systems. With the right speaker, the audio will be great! The radio does have good audio but again, I recommend an external speaker. I had a Pro-197 for a few months and while it did scan well, I did not like the sound in the vehicle.

Manny

jim202

i own several radios which i use to monitor just like scanners, the scan rate is obviously slower, but the audio is great. my question is i have a pro 106 which i currently monitor my digital stuff with, can i do the same as i am doing with my other full blown radios if i buy a digital mobile or portable or do i need a system key, etc. if thats the case then obviously its not worth the time and/or expense. any other ideas? I'm also thinking of getting a mobile scanner if i can't do the radio deal, so which would be better AUDIO-WISE the 996 or the pro-197? i like the 106 but i'm sure the mobiles are different

Your not clear in your description of just how and what your trying to monitor with the commercial radios in the digital format. In most cases, the digital format is used on trunking systems. So if that is the case, then yes, you would need a systems key in order to program the radios to the trunking systems.

There has been a huge amount of threads on the subject of programming commercial radios onto trunking systems. As such, I won't go into the flack that this subject creates. Bottom line is unless the radio system administrator allows the radio onto his system, there are a number of laws that will be broken and the possibility of causing problems to the trunking systems.

MTACOP

Retired
Premium Subscriber
I got a deal on a 197 so I added it to my truck and like Manny said you need a good external speaker. So far I have tried several and not the same working as well as I remember years ago. I might add an amplified speaker to augment my bad hearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.