Just A Suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

lugoffman

this suggestion may have came up before but i was just wondering if any one could make up a sight for new commers and make them more at home here on rr to better educate us on or questions and concerns reason being some people might not know what ct or mot or what typr of antenna to use or how much there system is getting out or how to even ask for the right questions and when they post there concern they get badgered to death about what they are asking or moved to another forum so i guess what im asking is to make up a thread or forum for new commers were they can ask dumb questions so they can learn and then advance to the more advanced forum and while doing this it would attract more people to subscribe to rr cause alot of people would benifit from this thanks this was just a suggestion

Last edited:

Ryfly

Premium Subscriber
Agreed, I came here, spent hours on that wiki and couldn't find the answer i wanted to find out.

No offense, but the wiki is very newbie un-friendly. The forums also seem to give a unfriedly to newbies. Saying HEY Wrong Forum BUDDY, DON"T do it again etc.

No offense, but i'm pretty upset on how i have been treated here with simple questions among the members.

CLTX11

Ryfly said:
Agreed, I came here, spent hours on that wiki and couldn't find the answer i wanted to find out.

No offense, but the wiki is very newbie un-friendly. The forums also seem to give a unfriedly to newbies. Saying HEY Wrong Forum BUDDY, DON"T do it again etc.

No offense, but i'm pretty upset on how i have been treated here with simple questions among the members.

WIKI is a little hard to find stuff for me as well. Also try searching the forums, there is alot in the depths (just don't post in an old thread :) LOL)

Dont worry about being treated harsh, everyone does. You have to have thick skin around here, I just learn to read only unless I have a question or input on a topic that is worth responding to such as questions folks have.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Ryfly said:
The forums also seem to give a unfriedly to newbies. Saying HEY Wrong Forum BUDDY, DON"T do it again etc.
I'm sorry you feel this way but I move several threads on a daily basis. I try to leave an impression that we want people to think before posting next time. People need to READ and research before asking questions. We don't want to continually have to spoonfeed answers. There is a WEALTH of information in these forums. All it takes is a little patience and time.

One rule for reading web forums: check your sensitivity at the door. That goes for this forum especially as we have just about every type of personality here, including people with multiple...

Ryfly

Premium Subscriber
wayne_h said:
I'm sorry you feel this way but I move several threads on a daily basis. I try to leave an impression that we want people to think before posting next time. People need to READ and research before asking questions. We don't want to continually have to spoonfeed answers. There is a WEALTH of information in these forums. All it takes is a little patience and time.

One rule for reading web forums: check your sensitivity at the door. That goes for this forum especially as we have just about every type of personality here, including people with multiple...

Ok, but should a fourm really have a reputation as to what you say, such as this one. I visit many forums i by far, this one has been the most rudest to the most simple post and questions. I have thick skin, but when i post somtheing as simply as a question to a Radio shack scanner and someone tells me i'm stupid to post it in this forum and post it in the state forum, uhhhh, ok, thank buddy! I really posted something really controversial.

See i would understand if a bunch of people called me a retard cause i call some president a dumb butt, but not when i ask a simple question.

JHVH-1

Well maybe a newbie welcome thread somewhere which gives a general rundown of things and how to find them in the wiki. Most things are in there, but if you don't know what you are looking for I could see how it would be tough.

Like I see threads currently sticky with things like going to this page http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Category:FAQ

For someone who doesn't know about scanning a lot of that would be information overload.

lugoffman

JHVH-1 said:
Well maybe a newbie welcome thread somewhere which gives a general rundown of things and how to find them in the wiki. Most things are in there, but if you don't know what you are looking for I could see how it would be tough.

Like I see threads currently sticky with things like going to this page http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Category:FAQ

For someone who doesn't know about scanning a lot of that would be information overload.
thats true cause for some one like me for starters i dont know what all the abreavitions are (sorry spelling) such as ct or mot or the other ones and i ask a question how to program somthing into my scanner and i get some one telling me to go to win97 ok so i did i get somthing i never dealt with and i had to ask around about how to use it and then went and looked and read about how to use it but i was dumb founded finaly i got brian on here and he walked me through it there should be more people like brian on here lol!!! but i thank some one should look into a forum on here and make it like a simple dictionary on what some of these words mean and what you can get out of them or like i said earlyer make a newbiee sight so we can ask dumb questions and all the experenced guys can look at it and laugh at us and maybe get a answer to the question i mean really i would subscribe to this fourm site if i knew it was a lot more helpfull but with the attitudes you get from some people in here it makes you thank twice about sending your money

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There is a dictionary of sorts on the wiki - under 'Special Topics' click on 'RR Glossary'. It's not complete - no glossary of this type ever is, in my view - but it's a good start

73 Mike

Don_Burke

lugoffman said:
thats true cause for some one like me for starters i dont know what all the abreavitions are (sorry spelling) such as ct or mot or the other ones and i ask a question how to program somthing into my scanner and i get some one telling me to go to win97 ok so i did i get somthing i never dealt with and i had to ask around about how to use it and then went and looked and read about how to use it but i was dumb founded finaly i got brian on here and he walked me through it there should be more people like brian on here lol!!! but i thank some one should look into a forum on here and make it like a simple dictionary on what some of these words mean and what you can get out of them or like i said earlyer make a newbiee sight so we can ask dumb questions and all the experenced guys can look at it and laugh at us and maybe get a answer to the question i mean really i would subscribe to this fourm site if i knew it was a lot more helpfull but with the attitudes you get from some people in here it makes you thank twice about sending your money
I have asked some pretty simplistic questions around here and have received good answers.

The problem seems to surface when someone posts a very hard to read message asking scattered questions on scattered topics. I have found that breaking things up into sentences and paragraphs goes a long way, as does reasonably good spelling and grammar.

These are not simple topics around here and anything that makes communication more difficult will reduce the number of people willing to help.

LordJ

wayne_h said:

Why should people check their sensitivity at the door when it comes to people that 'run' the site?...If you ran a business, would you want your customers to check their sensitivity at the door? This is after all a subscription based site for those that want to donate (with extras I know)

I'm guessing this is the message in question that sparked the thread?

kurty said:
Hello:

I live in the Maybrook NY (12543 area code) and am interested in purchasing a handheld
police scanner. My interest in the item is to listen to police and fire calls when I see the flashing lights going past my home. I've never owned one and really do not know much about them. If there is anyone out there that can recommend a specific scanner that would work in my area, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Loumaag said:
Moved to NY forum.

Don't post such things in the announcement/news forum again and do not hijack another thread.
This was a reply to a newbie that had made his first post. No explanation and total lack of politeness. Yes, it's plain he posted in the wrong forum, but et least it could have been explained. I realize that you get some crap when you are an admin, but I see very little reason for this particular response.
/soapbox

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
LordJ said:
... This was a reply to a newbie that had made his first post. No explanation and total lack of politeness. Yes, it's plain he posted in the wrong forum, but et least it could have been explained. I realize that you get some crap when you are an admin, but I see very little reason for this particular response.
/soapbox
Normally I would ignore ignorant and uninformed comments such as this, but in this case, just to prove the point that you are not a moderator and should not assume that you "know it all" I will explain. Consider that post was, as I indicated, in the wrong forum and that it was hijacking another thread. Now that I have repeated exactly what I said when I moved it, consider the thread where the almost assuredly trolling post was initially placed:
Los Angeles Firefighter Killed in Line of Duty

Once again, the uninformed have taken on the job of attempting to judge what they only have limited knowledge about. The person who's post was moved knew where it was moved from and hence, no further explanations or comments were necessary, especially to those (such as you) who were not affected by the action. :mad:

lugoffman

LordJ said:
Why should people check their sensitivity at the door when it comes to people that 'run' the site?...If you ran a business, would you want your customers to check their sensitivity at the door? This is after all a subscription based site for those that want to donate (with extras I know)

I'm guessing this is the message in question that sparked the thread?

This was a reply to a newbie that had made his first post. No explanation and total lack of politeness. Yes, it's plain he posted in the wrong forum, but et least it could have been explained. I realize that you get some crap when you are an admin, but I see very little reason for this particular response.
/soapbox

(well you are right) i tell you i would walk out the store and would not refer no one to the store again but like i was asking in the begining can you start a newbie thread were we can ask dumb questions? but oue dumb questions could help some one else that does not have the experiance as for some of you guys who has been in this all there lives us newbies dont under stand and some people just wants the basic to what they want to scan in there area or the basic to there equipment and if you would just have patience and try to help them out you might find out they will learn more and not bother the threads hear as much also i thank some or most of the problem is when they give rude comments they post again any ways just for spite you get what you put out type of thing so again what can rr do to help us newbies with out getting beat down by some one ????????????????????

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I agree with the OP

I tend to agree with the gist of the OP for this thread. While the Wiki seems like a logical place to find answers, it is not all that friendly. I've tried using the search function there dozens of times to find things I know are listed and get no results. That's just the start of things when it comes to the Wiki.

The idea of a new-comer's sticky, which is listed FIRST among all of the forums, makes a lot of sense. It should be concise and point out the basic rules here (post in the correct forum, radio-related, etc). If done correctly it will reduce the amount of work required by mods policing the site AND give people who don't know a heads up. Perhaps this sticky could mention some of the most common terms with links to directly their definitions/etc in the Wiki.

lugoffman

gmclam said:
I tend to agree with the gist of the OP for this thread. While the Wiki seems like a logical place to find answers, it is not all that friendly. I've tried using the search function there dozens of times to find things I know are listed and get no results. That's just the start of things when it comes to the Wiki.

The idea of a new-comer's sticky, which is listed FIRST among all of the forums, makes a lot of sense. It should be concise and point out the basic rules here (post in the correct forum, radio-related, etc). If done correctly it will reduce the amount of work required by mods policing the site AND give people who don't know a heads up. Perhaps this sticky could mention some of the most common terms with links to directly their definitions/etc in the Wiki.

yes yes yes this is what im talking about then maybe if you do this then maybe the ones that give out the bad attitudes will egnore it and ones that care about people will responded to it and then rr gets more subcribers then it will be a site were all the one that give there bad input will no that we no not what we are doing and will better under stand the newbies cause alot of us all we want to know are the basic such as what type of frequency to put in how to put them in what type of antenna to use what type of coax to use and then when they learn they want to get into it more and learn wore cause since i bought mine im having lots of fun and am learning alot more and want more meaning i may want to subcribe to rr but im not sure yet cause all the bad feed back but i do got to admit some of the bad feed back i get just makes me sick and its uncalled for so yea i thank what you said is wonderfull

Don_Burke

lugoffman said:
yes yes yes this is what im talking about then maybe if you do this then maybe the ones that give out the bad attitudes will egnore it and ones that care about people will responded to it and then rr gets more subcribers then it will be a site were all the one that give there bad input will no that we no not what we are doing and will better under stand the newbies cause alot of us all we want to know are the basic such as what type of frequency to put in how to put them in what type of antenna to use what type of coax to use and then when they learn they want to get into it more and learn wore cause since i bought mine im having lots of fun and am learning alot more and want more meaning i may want to subcribe to rr but im not sure yet cause all the bad feed back but i do got to admit some of the bad feed back i get just makes me sick and its uncalled for so yea i thank what you said is wonderfull
Much of this is in the scanner manual.

In any case, this is not a paid helpline. If you want information from unpaid people, you need to ask for it in a form that they do not need to work too hard to understand.

Additional subscribers are not much of a motivating factor to the people you meet at this site. The moderators are unpaid. The users responding to questions are unpaid.

I personally am not a paid subscriber since I can get everything I need here for free.

JoeyC

Some posters have no respect for their audience. Massive run-on sentences and innumerable typographical errors do not breed favorable circumstances in which to elicit concise answers from such gibberish. You cannot educate the uneducated on an internet forum...

LordJ

loumaag said:
Normally I would ignore ignorant and uninformed comments such as this, but in this case, just to prove the point that you are not a moderator and should not assume that you "know it all" I will explain. Consider that post was, as I indicated, in the wrong forum and that it was hijacking another thread. Now that I have repeated exactly what I said when I moved it, consider the thread where the almost assuredly trolling post was initially placed:
Los Angeles Firefighter Killed in Line of Duty

Once again, the uninformed have taken on the job of attempting to judge what they only have limited knowledge about. The person who's post was moved knew where it was moved from and hence, no further explanations or comments were necessary, especially to those (such as you) who were not affected by the action. :mad:

Nowhere did I state I was a moderator. Nor, did I even remotely suggest that I know it all. Why is it that you have to 'prove a point'?
I stated that I knew he made a mistake, all I was trying to convey was the lack of politeness/tolerance in your reply. There is really no need to jump off the handle. As for my attempting to judge, it was not an attempt. I judged your response and deemed it rude, as I would assume any normal person would.
As for whether or not my comments were necessary, that is your opinion. I was affected by your action, I was embarrassed as a hobbyist. While nobody is perfect, we should all try to be polite. I will not apologize for being the type of person to stand up for people when I feel they are wronged, and I certainly wouldn't be mad for people reminding me to be polite.
/done, again..

Status
Not open for further replies.