Just got a BCD436HP !

Status
Not open for further replies.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
So my County is ACPO 25 Phase I - is that 800Mhz? I also listen to and must have VHF since other agencies in my area still use conventional frequencies. Knowing this, does this change any recommendations? (and thank you BTW - so far this is great - still lots to learn)

A lot (maybe most) P25 Phase I/II systems are on 700/800 MHz ... but not all. Some use VHF or UHF frequencies. If you let us know what county you are in, we can tell you for sure.

Bob1955

Any suggestions for a better antenna? (BCD436HP) I'm shopping around but not sure what to look for.
Diamond RH-77CA but buy it from Amazon.com with a SMA connector. That rubber duck is 15" long and is about the BEST all band antenna out there besides that, it is also used for 2 meter and 440 transmit/receive on ham radio. Hope this helps you out.

rs16

Premium Subscriber
I have a 436HP coming tomorrow. Had one a couple years ago and got scared off by the complexity. Going to give it another try.

Tramagod

I have a 436HP coming tomorrow. Had one a couple years ago and got scared off by the complexity. Going to give it another try.

Upgrade the the firmware and database on your pc, disconnect, enter your zip code and go. Not really that complicated. You can also go into the menu and select the services you want to monitor and set the range in miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnnyGent

Banned
Banned
So my County is ACPO 25 Phase I - is that 800Mhz? I also listen to and must have VHF since other agencies in my area still use conventional frequencies. Knowing this, does this change any recommendations? (and thank you BTW - so far this is great - still lots to learn)
I can listen to VHF & UHF with my 7/800 mhz antenna as well, granted I'm pretty close to what I listen to. However primary listening is on Illinois "StarCom21" system, so I stick with 7/800 mhz antenna.

rs16

Premium Subscriber
Upgrade the the firmware and database on your pc, disconnect, enter your zip code and go. Not really that complicated. You can also go into the menu and select the services you want to monitor and set the range in miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, I've had my 436 for about 5 days and I'm very happy with my purchase. I've pretty much experimented in the way you suggested. Turning on and off certain services to narrow my scanning to only certain things within my county. Also holding departments of interest for a while and experimenting with the range at times.

Today I was playing around picking up schools district/bus company traffic regularly from 16 miles away and a couple times from 24 miles away. My next step will be to work on a few favorites lists.

Even though I don't travel or want to record, having the database already on board is really great for playing with the service types without having to mess with Freescan as would be needed for the P2 series. I feel kind of silly for waiting so long to buy one.

Status
Not open for further replies.