Just learning, as new as they come

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedi1979

Hi, I've been reading some of these forums but so far have not found how I get in contact with a local HAM operator to get some real education.
I bought a little cheap Radio so I could listen to whats out there, and possibly scan ems but ran into trouble with ;p25. anyone think they could help educate me or direct me to people in my local area that could, that would be awesome. I live in Oregon

k6cpo

Based on your zip code there are several clubs within 50 miles of Junction City.

K4EET

Chaplain
Also check out the American Radio Relay League (ARRL) website at Home. It has a wealth of information on ham radio. Their phone number is (888) 277-5289 or you can eMail them at hq@arrl.org. The ARRL is the national organization for amateur (ham) radio in the United States and the staffers can answer just about any question that you might have including getting hooked up with local ham clubs in your area as also shown above. According to the amateur radio callsign lookup website, there are 63 licensed hams in Junction City, OR so you should have no trouble getting hooked up with a local elmer (a person or group to help you get licensed). Keep us posted on what you find and if you have any other questions. 73 (best wishes in ham lingo), Dave K4EET

[EDIT] P.S. Give us you exact zip code and I'll see how many hams live in your zip code. The searchable site is at https://qrz.com but you will need a login to see detailed information.

Last edited:

KC5AKB

Hi and welcome to the fun.
As of July there is a new test for the technicians license
So be sure you get the proper study guide.
My email is kc5akb @arrl.net just remove the Space and drop me a email I will be glad to talk with you.
WWW.W5YI.ORG good study place.
HamTestOnline - Ham Radio Exam Courses and Practice Tests is a second one some free sites also.just make sure you have the up to date study material.
Later,
Ric

K4EET

Chaplain
Hi, I've been reading some of these forums but so far have not found how I get in contact with a local HAM operator to get some real education.
I bought a little cheap Radio so I could listen to whats out there, and possibly scan ems but ran into trouble with ;p25. anyone think they could help educate me or direct me to people in my local area that could, that would be awesome. I live in Oregon
My bad for not noticing that was your first post. Welcome to Radio Reference (RR) and it's great to have a new subscriber interested in Amateur (Ham) Radio. As for the "cheap" radio, that wouldn't be a Baofeng UV-5 of some flavor would it? I have one of them as well as several more expensive dual band VHF/UHF ham transceivers and the Uniden BCD536HP scanner for listening to my local Public Safety agencies. Yes, the Baofeng will not do the APCO 25 signaling and a lot of other specialized types of signaling that the Uniden can receive. Like Ric above, feel free to get a hold of me if you would like to chat one-on-one. My Skype username is also available in my particulars if you use Skype. Again, welcome to RR and the wonderful world of ham radio! 73, Dave K4EET

Status
Not open for further replies.