• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Just wondering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astrak

Premium Subscriber
So I ran a red in a school zone and the fine was ridiculous so I decided I would rather sit the fines out in jail and get work release(bad decision) anyways I was placed on house arrest. Out of curiosity how does the anklet communicate with the base? The best I've found is something called ultra wide impulse. Is this anything that would be picked up by the scanner? My guess is no.

DaveNF2G said:
If you're wearing one, then you are one of the last people to whom I would say much about how they work.
...because there is a proven link between running a red light and child rape. :roll:

He asked if there was a monitorable transmitter involved (on-topic for this forum), not how to cut it off.

Last edited:

Airdorn

Premium Subscriber
Maybe put a scanner with the frequency detector thingy near it.

I suspect the base polls the ankle thing regularly, though..

Astrak

Premium Subscriber
I'm not asking how to defeat it, I'm only on the thing for 5 days, it would be stupid to mess that up. I tried putting the scanner next to it...and nothing. I'm not sure the ankle bracelet has any power source to it because I think it can be left on the ankle indefinitely without being charged. I'm thinking the base thingy sends out a signal that bounces off the ankle thingy when in range.

Airdorn

Premium Subscriber
Oh like a transponder.. like one of those RFID things at the store that trips an alarm if one of the little anti-shoplifting tags passes through it..

not sure how yours works, but locally they just went with wireless GPS enabled ankle monitors. the monitors actually calls a center when your "out of area of allowance" and ten you could be getting a good talking to by your PO OVER YOUR ANKLE since it has a phone sorta built in. not sure the specifics, but they really are getting advanced.

jerk

Astrak said:
I'm not asking how to defeat it, I'm only on the thing for 5 days, it would be stupid to mess that up. I tried putting the scanner next to it...and nothing. I'm not sure the ankle bracelet has any power source to it because I think it can be left on the ankle indefinitely without being charged. I'm thinking the base thingy sends out a signal that bounces off the ankle thingy when in range.
The ones I've seen have a small button battery and communicate using FHSS in the 900MHz garbage band. And they are FCC approved, but the label most likely is on the inside facing your ankle.

And I think they only check in once a day with base unit in the house unless cut or tampered with. Also, here they use roving checks to make sure the person is home like they are supposed to be. So the range would be about a good cordless phone in my opinion.

chrismol1

Premium Subscriber
newsalan said:
The ones I've seen have a small button battery and communicate using FHSS in the 900MHz garbage band. And they are FCC approved, but the label most likely is on the inside facing your ankle.

And I think they only check in once a day with base unit in the house unless cut or tampered with. Also, here they use roving checks to make sure the person is home like they are supposed to be. So the range would be about a good cordless phone in my opinion.
I found out that I can go about 600 feet with my cordless 5.8 Ghz phone
Having 5 days not to leave your house is nice if you have a nagging family member that loves to go out with you if you have my case

You'll have to cut it and have a helicopter waiting to bring you over the border to Canada or Mexico !!!

SAR923

Sorry but I'm with Dave on this one. Giving an admitted offender information about a detention device when we don't know how the information will be used is irresponsible at best. Google has plenty of information if the OP really wants to find out. Our jail had a radio controlled master locking system and I wouldn't post that information either.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Airdorn said:
Its not irresponsible if the info is freely available anyway.

Giving info to criminals about that info is never a good idea, can't believe someone had to actually say it out loud :roll:

SAR923

Information being freely available and us giving him specifics are two different things. As I said, assuming he knows how to use Google, he can get most of the information he wants if it's for a hobby purpose. If it's for some other reason, then good luck, because I don't intend to help an admitted offender who claims to have only run a red in a school zone. I have no idea what the real offense was but he says he only has to wear it for five days. I've never seen a home detention sentence combined with work release that lasted only five days. Since this is the internet, I'll assume the worst until proven otherwise.

Airdorn

Premium Subscriber
Grog said:
Giving info to criminals about that info is never a good idea, can't believe someone had to actually say it out loud :roll:
Well what info could we give him that can't be found on google or wherever? I don't see anybody talking in specifics. Nobody's given him a HOW-TO manual about it yet. Just some general knowledge stuff that doesn't say much about anything. Sheesh.

jerk

Grog said:
But yet many post secret and active undercover frequencies here all the time. Talk Groups that are not well known are posted and nobody seems to have a problem with that. And some even encourage it saying if they didn't want it know they could use encryption. So let's psot it all and let's even include the locations and identities as well.

And this info is available to criminals, in fact they go to the gray bar school and learn that stuff and more.

Most criminals just cut the thing off because the security track record of these devices in my area is poor. The end result is it can take a day or more before anyone notices or cares.

DaveNF2G

Premium Subscriber
Airdorn said:
Its not irresponsible if the info is freely available anyway.
And how many people show up on this board alone asking questions that could be answered if they would only bother to check "freely available" information first?

DaveNF2G

Premium Subscriber
newsalan said:
But yet many post secret and active undercover frequencies here all the time. Talk Groups that are not well known are posted and nobody seems to have a problem with that. And some even encourage it saying if they didn't want it know they could use encryption. So let's psot it all and let's even include the locations and identities as well.
That might be an isssue if the average criminal had half a brain.

And this info is available to criminals, in fact they go to the gray bar school and learn that stuff and more.
That's a myth.

Status
Not open for further replies.