K7MFC mobile shack: 2013 F-150 Lariat 4x4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firekite

One thing you did that got me thinking was taping the coax to the ceiling, above the headliner. I’m about to install my first NMO Mount, and I’m trying to build my confidence that I’ve considered everything sufficiently ahead of time.

My guess is most fleet installers simply drop the cable in and fish it to the A-pillar or wherever they’re routing it down to a radio, and they leave the cable lying on the top side of the headliner. Is that the case? Is it a consideration (does it matter)? I’ve never needed to pull the headliner down on my 2011 F250 crew cab, but my guess is it’s pretty similar in construction to your F150. I strongly dislike rattles and squeaks in my vehicles, and I wouldn’t want to put pressure on the coax with the headliner against a crossmember or something where it can wear over time. But unless it’s bouncing and “slapping” loose against the headliner it seems like it shouldn’t be a concern, and it seems like there’s probably enough space between the headliner and the roof to lose a tool up there and never know it :)

Any thoughts or direction?

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
One thing you did that got me thinking was taping the coax to the ceiling, above the headliner. I’m about to install my first NMO Mount, and I’m trying to build my confidence that I’ve considered everything sufficiently ahead of time.

My guess is most fleet installers simply drop the cable in and fish it to the A-pillar or wherever they’re routing it down to a radio, and they leave the cable lying on the top side of the headliner. Is that the case? Is it a consideration (does it matter)? I’ve never needed to pull the headliner down on my 2011 F250 crew cab, but my guess is it’s pretty similar in construction to your F150. I strongly dislike rattles and squeaks in my vehicles, and I wouldn’t want to put pressure on the coax with the headliner against a crossmember or something where it can wear over time. But unless it’s bouncing and “slapping” loose against the headliner it seems like it shouldn’t be a concern, and it seems like there’s probably enough space between the headliner and the roof to lose a tool up there and never know it :)

Any thoughts or direction?

Yeah...I wish I had thought about taping when I had mine at the stop having the roof drilled and antennas installed. I didn't do it and I have one that does just what you said - rattles against the headliner in certain weather (typically cooler/cold weather). I've wanted to drop the liner enough to get some tape in there but haven't attempted it yet. I remember it being quite involved for the guys at the radio shop where I had them installed. I would recommend doing something to help prevent it from happening. It likely depends on which way you run the coax from the mount as just one of mine does it.

K7MFC

WRAA720
I had two concerns that made me want to secure the coax to the roof. I didn't want the coax to rub against or get caught in any of the mechanicals for the sun roof, and I didn't want the rattle of the coax slapping the headliner and roof while driving off road. The foil tape worked well for this, and I will do the same in the new truck when I install the antennas.

Firekite

Awesome, thanks for clarifying! I have some foil tape similar to what you used, so I’ll probably plan to do the same. I’m not 100% sure what all is involved, but from what I can tell, dropping the headliner isn’t that big a deal.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Foil tape works well, it usually has a strong adhesive.
I've used gaffers tape on mine when they've done the rattle thing.

Some purists will get upset saying it's not required, makes replacement difficult, etc. Don't worry about that. Rattles like from the coax can get pretty annoying. It's your truck, do it the way you want.

It's a good idea to visualize the entire coax run if you can. Taping it can help keep the cable away from sharp edges and other places it can get damaged.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
I’ve used the foil tape to secure the coax to roof of the vehicle where it has to pass behind an airbag. Keeps it from moving around in places where might be problematic. Taping there also tends to reduce any flapping between the NMO and the tape point.

BTW, the best foil tape is the HVAC kind. Best adhesive possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.