K7MFC mobile shack: 2013 F-150 Lariat 4x4

Status
Not open for further replies.

K7MFC

WRAA720
Awesome - thanks for the feedback! I was getting tired of using my handheld all the time :D

K7MFC

WRAA720
One more recent addition to the mobile shack - a Lenovo S10e netbook PC:

3iBevud.png

I picked this up from eBay for $50, and while not the most powerful PC (Windows 7 x86, Intel Atom, 1 GB RAM) the small form factor (10") makes it perfect for a dedicated radio programming PC:

0yxBwOC.png

When not in use, it tucks neatly inside a desk drawer or at the back of the center console in my truck. This is now my dedicated radio programming computer for the mobile shack, desk radios, and handhelds. Easily portable to club meetings to assist other members with programming!

Ewg67av.png

Radio programming software currently installed: KPG 49D, KPG-89D, MCP-1A, FreeSCAN, BC125AT SS, CHIRP.

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
I have an old netbook I might task for that same reason. I’m also looking at an old Panasonic toughpad tablet so I can throw it in a mount and use it on the go.

S

SunshineRadio

That first picture with the truck next to the tree is perfect!

K7MFC

WRAA720
A full size pickup can definitely be a tight squeeze on some forest roads in Arizona!

K7MFC

WRAA720
The 2013 F-150 mobile shack has been retired. The temporary mobile setup in the new 2019 F-150 is a Kenwood TK-380 and a Uniden BCD325P2:

5O6NCj6.png

Here's the new truck, a 2019 F-150 XLT 4x4. Custom ordered from the factory, and delivered to the showroom floor yesterday:

rRnhLwD.png

Detailed install post to follow in the near future. ..

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Nice truck.
The interiors are very similar to the super duties.
There's a lot of space behind the radio head, at least on the non-navigation radios. I was able to install one of the large Motorola speakers behind mine. Probably could have fit two back there if I wanted.

K7MFC

WRAA720
No definite plans yet for the install, but this truck was ordered with the front bench seat to maximize radio installation options. The center console and shifter really limited me in the previous truck.

Firekite

Out of curiosity is it really necessary to sand the underside of the roof down to bare metal? Will you do it again on the new truck? I thought the NMO Mount teeth would dig into the roof an make any paint removal unnecessary.

K7MFC

WRAA720
I've read contradicting statements on the interwebs regarding whether or not sanding the underside is necessary. I'd welcome any expert opinion or guidance so I can do things correctly on the new truck.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I have never had a grounding issue with NMO's properly installed. Over a dozen vehicles and several dozen installs and not one had a grounding issue.

I was able to verify how well the mounts work by looking at an install I did on the trunk lid of a sedan I did, after installing the mount I removed it and saw the paint scraped by the installation to bare metal, just as one would want.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Out of curiosity is it really necessary to sand the underside of the roof down to bare metal? Will you do it again on the new truck? I thought the NMO Mount teeth would dig into the roof an make any paint removal unnecessary.

No, it isn't. Sounds like typical amateur radio operator over thinking something they do not understand.

The part of the NMO mount that goes under the sheet metal has teeth in it that will bit through into the metal.

In 30 years, I've never heard of anyone needing to "sand the underside". I've never done it and never had an issue. NMO mounts are designed for blind mounting, as in specifically to remove the need to access the inside of the roof.

Firekite

I've never done it and never had an issue.
I remember back in my 4x4 CB days the prevailing wisdom was that you need to establish an RF ground, so if you used a taillight mount on a Jeep for a CB antenna, you should sand the paint/powdercoat off the Jeep body and the back of the mount at least the size of a quarter and aligned so they make contact on a relatively large surface area. Or else your antenna won’t work so well. For those of us with little understanding of the principles at work it’s all voodoo and so we’ll do whatever we’re told.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I remember back in my 4x4 CB days the prevailing wisdom was that you need to establish an RF ground, so if you used a taillight mount on a Jeep for a CB antenna, you should sand the paint/powdercoat off the Jeep body and the back of the mount at least the size of a quarter and aligned so they make contact on a relatively large surface area. Or else your antenna won’t work so well. For those of us with little understanding of the principles at work it’s all voodoo and so we’ll do whatever we’re told.

Yep, ground is important for most antenna mounts.
The NMO mounts will ground properly when installed -correctly-.
Jeep installs are usually a challenge, especially with the longer wavelength of CB frequencies, sometimes bonding panels, doors and tailgates is required.

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
As far as external speakers, I see you have left and right RCA audio inputs along with your video RCA input. You could run an adapter cable from 2 of your radios to each of the audio inputs. One radio will sound out of your right speakers and the other out of left speakers. I do this regular in my vehicle. Nice setup you have.

K4NNW

Well done. The centre console was the reason I ordered my '13 F150 with the split bench like your new one has. I was able to put in a Havis track-mount base and a proper console after removing the centre seat section (four bolts, and maybe one connector, methinks).
Keep us posted on the new install.

Status
Not open for further replies.