Kent County Newbie needs advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

HagueGuy

Hello folks! I am looking at getting started in the police/fire scanning hobby but I need some advice. I live in Grand Rapids and I want to monitor Kent County frequencies, sheriff, GR Police, GR Fire along with some of the immediate surrounding police and fire frequencies in a twenty mile vicinity. I am looking at digital scanning receivers but I don't know if I need those receivers that are phase 1, phase 2 and/or DMR capable? Also, is there any particular scanner you would recommend that would suffice to fit my needs here in this location? I am leaning toward a base unit but wouldn't rule out a portable either.
Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

HagueGuy

Thanks Ronaldski!!

Thanks for your quick reply to my question and for the advice as well. I was leaning toward the Whistler brand scanners until I read your previous postings concerning their problems receiving simulcast tower transmissions; interesting why that would be?
I am now leaning toward getting, either, a BCD536HP, or a BCD436HP model scanner. Although the Whistler TRX1 and TRX2 seem to offer more of an easier initial programming and operating experience for a newbie such as myself, along with more added on features, the end result might not be the best "bang for my buck". One last question concerning the Uniden models; are they as difficult to program as I have been told?
Thanks again!!!

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Any of he digitals are complicated especially if people have never worked with one. People I meet generally know frequencies, but trunking-talkgroups are over their head till I explain it.
I'm sure you'll get different opinions as to what one is easier, but to me I find the current 325-996 models easier. Granted they don't program themselves like the 436-536.

The 436 - 536 you can just input a zipcode and it programs itself. One thing though is all that info in the radios database is from this site, so since Kent even when it starts up, you put in a zipcode in the radio still won't work since the database in the unit won't yet have the newer stuff till you update it.

You will definitely for IMHO hookup to your windows pc for many months on a weekly basis with updates that appear every monday at 10am with sentinel for any newer talkgroups people find for Kent along with any firmware updates from Unden.

Once Kent starts up I'm sure there will be a special forum thread for people to get the new talkgroups they hear.

HagueGuy

Thanks Ronaldski!!

That's some good info and advice!
Hey, one more question; do I understand you correctly that the Whistlers, (TRX1/2) have some major problems receiving the simulcast transmissions from Kent systems?
Is this particular to Whistler scanners OR do the Uniden scanners also have the same problem?
I will have NO access to an outdoor antenna, only the rubber duckie that attach to the back of the (either) portable or base set.
Thanks!

smithken

Premium Subscriber
Another thing to find out is whether Kent County will encrypt, if they do there is no scanner made that can decrypt them.

scanmanmi

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!
Did you get set up yet? I got an RTL-SDR dongle for like $20 and have been using SDR# program. I was just going through some frequency ranges when I picked up 155.01. I had to do some research to find out it is Kent county since I'm 75 miles as the crow flies. You can listen with Broadcastify or a $20 dongle on your computer.

HagueGuy

Thanks Scanmanmi

Thanks Scanmanmi!
I'm set up using the BCD536HP.
So far, so good! The range of frequencies I can receive is quite amazing just using the supplied little back-of-the-set antenna!

BananaPepper

I am curious to know if you have been picking up the State Talk groups in place in Kent Co. using the 800mhz digital Apco 25? Along with the highband that is currently being used by the county, and local?

Status
Not open for further replies.