• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood Compatiblity

Status
Not open for further replies.

gadsden76

Hey everybody, I'm a new forum member. I don't know much about radios so I'd really really appreciate any help from the pros. Here's my dilemma. I play airsoft, do tactical shooting drills, etc. And for these things it's very helpful to have a radio BUT I don't know anything about radios. I already have a Peltor COMTAC headset and the PTT for it. The PTT unit is wired to a kenwood connector(not sure if I said that right). I'd like to find a walkie talkie AND radio (sorry, I don't know the proper terminology) that I can plug the PTT into. If you can't help me with this atleast show me how to find out what kind of jack radios have because I never seem to find it on the specs and description.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Usually it's the other way around. You buy the radio of your choice and then match it with audio accessories. You are right and maybe because of this, you don't see the type of accessory connector listed in the specifications. The only way to be sure is a picture of the radio with the dust cover off or ask whoever is selling it as to what type it has.

If your head set is wired for Kenwood handheld radios, there are only two types. A two prong plug that goes into dual jack in the radio. My guess would be you have his type. It is used on the more basic "lower end" radios Kenwood sells. The second type of connector is a wedge shaped one with numerous small pins that mate with gold contacts on the side of the radio. You'll find those in the higher tier radios.

Also, other manufacturers provide Kenwood compatible accessory two prong jacks and headsets etc. will work fine with them. I'm thinking of my Baofeng UV-5R, but there are others.

So basically you'll have to ask before you buy...

gadsden76

Thank you so much! It was actually a gift so I really had no say in any of it. I have both PTT's. The multi-prong wedge and the double prong. I've heard of Baofeng but the reviews are mixed, usually negative. Do you know of any others? And if you don't mind, what are some good radios that are compatible with the multi-prong? I'd rather just get a higher end radio.

kg4uad

Thank you so much! It was actually a gift so I really had no say in any of it. I have both PTT's. The multi-prong wedge and the double prong. I've heard of Baofeng but the reviews are mixed, usually negative. Do you know of any others? And if you don't mind, what are some good radios that are compatible with the multi-prong? I'd rather just get a higher end radio.

For your application theres absolutely nothing wrong with the two pin connector. For paint ball ops you just need a durable radio that can handle getting dropped, wet etc. I see plenty of kenwood tk-260/360g radios on ebay for around 60.00 that usually come with charger and battery. If all your using the radio for is messing around on a paint ball course then i would stay in the disposable radio cost bracket. Ramal is correct that most of kenwoods upper tier radios do have the multi pin accessory connector but thats really not about durability or being waterproof (the two pin connector radios need to have the mic plugged in to achieve that waterproof connection). The pins in that connector can be programmed via software to do multitudes of functions that im sure you will never need. You probably can get four tk-260/360g's with batteries and chargers on ebay in excellent shape for what one upper tier radio will run you. If you like Kenwood products and want upper tier take a peak at the NX-220/320 its very nice and has the two pin connector.

kg4uad

gadsden76

Thank you so much! You've all been extremely helpful. The radio world is extremely complex. I'll check out the suggestions.

SB-Wi

Premium Subscriber
Hey everybody, I'm a new forum member. I don't know much about radios so I'd really really appreciate any help from the pros. Here's my dilemma. I play airsoft, do tactical shooting drills, etc. And for these things it's very helpful to have a radio BUT I don't know anything about radios.

Don't forget that commercial radios need a licensed frequency and GMRS needs a license per person/family. Some FRS radios (no license for personal use) may work with your headsets. Check the GMRS / FRS Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.