• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood KPG-D1NK

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
kd4efm

The boot time is also a problem, forgot to list that one...thanks Jay911. CPU speed is not a problem on my computer. The dual band radio we've got has 2 heads so the boot time is twice as long. Maybe your experience provides you with the ability to work with the D1 software; but for less experienced programmers the software is unwieldy and I advise the selection of an alternative model Kenwood radio that does not require D1N.
The radio tech from our vendor had pure hell installing the software with multiple calls direct to his contact at Kenwood/EFJohnson support to get it operational.
I have no idea what you mean by: 'Just d hi mp it on where you need it, activate it on and when it you need it.' and I imagine a new user of it won't either. It can't be just copied to another computer..it has to be re-registered, which then deactivates it on the first computer.
This is just my opinion and recommendation to the original thread...good luck whatever radio you choose.

"Just load the software on multiple laptops, load the key on same, and turn on and off when and where you need it" typos caused by phone, sorry.

Your comment:

2 head, what are you talking about? PC boot time compared to radio boot time? Or you talking about programming time?

That's what I read from your statement.

And not trying to play this down or up, the software load time does suck. But having a dual head dual deck has nothing to do with the software spin up. You edit each deck separately, then load it to the radio with a kpg46xm cable, takes anywhere from 45 seconds to a minute and a half per deck.

My 3 decks take 3 minutes 45 seconds to program. And I have roughly 400 channels in each deck, and my uhf has 5 nxdn trunk systems in it.

Use a standard kpg46 serial cable and it will take up to 5 min on average to load into the radios.

What cable are you using?

As for PC's in the field, I can't fix poor planning, but any tech will tell you, one license for a fleet of laptops is a mistake.

My field laptops all have D1 D2 D3 licenses
So there is no mistake of saying I have 1 license and its being used at the office.
Wrong answer.

Armada is nice, saw it at IWCE, who knows maybe one day we will have access to it, but right now, we don't as kenwood dealers.

As for the tech having a hell of a time installing, i will take that into note, if he was trying to install it on a VM or other non windows device. There are people who have it on VM, but doing so at thier own risk. Kenwood says, to be ran on a windows PC only. Not a big fan, I like linux, but I can't deviate or it is not covered under warranty.

I will be glad to help you over come this hurdle if you need easier ways of dealing with D1, just ask. I've help more than 30 people on here with D1 when they got their radios. Even had other dealers contact me as well. Nothing to hide here.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Armada is a superior platform. Kenwood needs to port this over to the NX series. I have a VP5430 and Armada is a BREEZE compared to KPG-D1NK. None of this B.S. of licensing either. Even APX CPS (currently) does not require you to license it to a machine. What if you're at a remote site and need to load it quickly to touch a batch of radios, you know, like at the scene of wiildfire where you might not have WAN available to download anything?

The NX platform is a great product, it needs ARMADA. Seriously. Kenwood bought EF Johnson for a reason. Don't be like those guys and waste the great stuff they have. The template/codeplug concept is the BEST THING EVER for radio programming/management. Hello Kenwood,you already have your solution...

Keep in mind, EFJ does only p25, smartzone, smartnet, and no NXDN or DMR.

And pricing, I'm actually glad to see a build your own radio for a change, want dmr, add it when you are ready, now or later. Want p25, buy it now, or later.
Adds value to the radio, in my words.

If your headed to a mass incident scene, would you think taking a laptop with it activated/installed (any software) already would be a easier idea then showing up unprepared?
Mistakes happen, sure, but that's one I don't want to do a write up about.
( in California, Verizon cut data speeds on first responders, never plan on wifi, cellular, or otherwise unless it is known to be functional)

And I have played with apx cps, talk about B.S. on trying to program with that..... scan is a PITA to get to work if you have 1 setting out of place, and it does not tell you where the mistake is, radio just goes bonk, when you push the scan button.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
True, but no reason EFJ could not revamp Armada to support this. Armada has to be some of the best radio programming software (at least for P25/conventional) EVER.

And pricing, I'm actually glad to see a build your own radio for a change, want dmr, add it when you are ready, now or later. Want p25, buy it now, or later.
Without mutliband support, it has limited value in areas like mine where 700/800 is king and everything else DMR/NXDN is V/U. I'd love to see a VHF/7/8 portable on this platform. A metric TON could be sold around here.
If your headed to a mass incident scene, would you think taking a laptop with it activated/installed (any software) already would be a easier idea then showing up unprepared?
But you never know what machine you might have to take. At my agency, we have a dozen or so Getec B300s shared by the technical team. I am heavy on the CAD side so my image doesn't get updated as much as the radio techs do. Never know when I might be called in, and don't have time to spend to log onto a network to authorize software. And our SO and PD sometimes loan us workstations that would have no reason to have any radio software on, but the way we operate today, a thumb drive is all it takes (and local admin rights) to install what is needed to get up and running.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Volume discounts are available for the software.

To each is their own thou.

As for a multi band multi mode, go back in the nx5000 chats and you will find where I tried for a year to have one made.
They said, we will look into it, and that's all I got for a final word. Yes, Japan is looking into now, but profitably is what they need to crunch numbers on. Right now, if only 1000 units would ever be sold for a select core of users, can you justify 1000 units, or would you justify 1 million units.

Motorola mentality is like Harley Davidson, they have a radio, so sell them a new mouse trap, end of life 5 year old tech, and get a new one at full value, no trade in.
Xpr6550 is what now? Still an xpr just new model name and number, nothing changed.....

(Soap box off)

I have been for the last 6 years asking for a multi mode multi band portable ever since nx5000 hit the market. All I can do is submit it again next year.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber

Mistakes happen, sure, but that's one I don't want to do a write up about.
( in California, Verizon cut data speeds on first responders, never plan on wifi, cellular, or otherwise unless it is known to be functional)

And I have played with apx cps, talk about B.S. on trying to program with that..... scan is a PITA to get to work if you have 1 setting out of place, and it does not tell you where the mistake is, radio just goes bonk, when you push the scan button.

If you are in NC, I can contact Secom and they will get your concerns and comments too and send them to the big heads.

Email me, I will get you the needed info.

Jays620

Banned
How much does the software cost? I want to buy one of the radios but if I cant get the software it will just be a paper weight. I been calling around and getting a run around cause they dont want to sell to a end user. Just want to program it for a NXDN repeater and maybe add P25 to it for the P25 repeaters as well as my hotspots. on BM.

Status
Not open for further replies.