• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood KPG-D1NK

Status
Not open for further replies.

djpaulino

Premium Subscriber
Hi, I would like to buy and program a nx-5700. I would like to buy the KPG-D1NK software but don't understand how it works, is it a download from a dealer? Where/how do I buy it? TIA

Markb

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, you have to buy it from a dealer and they will give you a download link from Dropbox or some other file sharing service.
The software requires an authentication key from Kenwood that registers the software with their server, and enables it for use. It's a PITA, but they are going the way of Motorola and beyond with regard to security.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Purchase from a dealer if you are in the US.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

djpaulino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, you have to buy it from a dealer and they will give you a download link from Dropbox or some other file sharing service.
The software requires an authentication key from Kenwood that registers the software with their server, and enables it for use. It's a PITA, but they are going the way of Motorola and beyond with regard to security.

Thanks Mark

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
...but they are going the way of Motorola and beyond with regard to security.

Motorola is nowhere near the security Kenwood has in KPG-D1

Harris on the other hand...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smyers119

The local dealer around me claims he doesn't sell programming software. If there is a dealer looking to make a sale on a radio and programming software contact me. (NX-5200K2, tac mic, software)

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
The local dealer around me claims he doesn't sell programming software. If there is a dealer looking to make a sale on a radio and programming software contact me. (NX-5200K2, tac mic, software)
There are several of us who do work with hams.

I do have a 5200k2 NIB that I need to sell.

alducks

If at all possible buy a radio that does NOT have to be programmed by the Kenwood KPG-D1NK!!!!
It's complicated to use; can only be used on one computer at a time; complicated to move from computer to computer; and expensive. If you insist on selecting a radio that must be programmed by this software; unless you're a radio tech/nerd, get the Kenwood Distributor in your area to provide one of their techs to set it up on whatever computer you plan to use it on.
Good luck.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
If at all possible buy a radio that does NOT have to be programmed by the Kenwood KPG-D1NK!!!!
It's complicated to use; can only be used on one computer at a time; complicated to move from computer to computer; and expensive. If you insist on selecting a radio that must be programmed by this software; unless you're a radio tech/nerd, get the Kenwood Distributor in your area to provide one of their techs to set it up on whatever computer you plan to use it on.
Good luck.
Speaks a lot when compared to the apx software,
D1 is a cake walk.

I know people who use it between several PC's, what's so hard about activation and deactivation? Just d hi mp it on where you need it, activate it on and when it you need it.
Pretty easy and simple.

Price? Sure it's not a bowfang, it's not that expensive. Unless you paid list price.

Just saying.

Just saying.

Last edited:

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Speaks a lot when compared to the apx software,
D1 is a cake walk.

I know people who use it between several PC's, what's so hard about activation and deactivation? Just d hi mp it on where you need it, activate it on and when it you need it.
Pretty easy and simple.

Price? Sure it's not a bowfang, it's not that expensive. Unless you paid list price.

Just saying.

Just saying.

The only problem I have with D1 is that it takes several weeks to boot and the same amount of time to either load a data file or prepare a data file after reading the radio. I seriously boot the program, go look to do something else, either open the data file or read the radio, then go do something else again, then get down to business... Yeah, I know Kenwood is aware, but really, that shouldn't take that long for a 63 kilobyte file to be read and processed, unless you guys have some outstanding compression algorithms in there and there are megabytes of data in there!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
My files are pretty small, about 60 or so conventional frequencies, analog and P25. No trunking.

Never had any issues with loading or read/write speeds. Is that an issue with larger trunked system files? It's not lightning fast, but I haven't had to wonder if it's working or not.

For amateur radio use I doubt that there will be a big issue with the speed. After all, the OP is buying one radio, not doing a whole fleet.

Bill1957

KPG D1NK

Hi,
Have been programming a nx5300 for a couple of weeks. It was a bit of a learning curve,Setting it up was a bit of a challenge. Just using it for a single radio. After a couple of nights programming is now a breeze!
Bill

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
The only problem I have with D1 is that it takes several weeks to boot and the same amount of time to either load a data file or prepare a data file after reading the radio. I seriously boot the program, go look to do something else, either open the data file or read the radio, then go do something else again, then get down to business... Yeah, I know Kenwood is aware, but really, that shouldn't take that long for a 63 kilobyte file to be read and processed, unless you guys have some outstanding compression algorithms in there and there are megabytes of data in there!
Several weeks is very exaggerated. Really?

Maybe but when I have 3 radios , windows 10
And 500 channel each file, take 3 to 5 minutes.

I have been told those with more than 8 to 10 meg ram, take less than 2 minutes to load up.
CPU speed has SOME to do with load up.

Number 1, it is loaded like an XML file
Number 2 it has to spool up the DES that it has within it.
Number 3, it loads the default file first
Number 4, your in to much of a hurry slow down.

BearcatUSA

PL-259 Connector Fan
If you are not satisfied with the reading/writing time, use genuine USB cable instead of old serial one. In case of thousands channels serial R/W can take up to 5-7 minutes with serial, but USB is only 13 seconds.

alducks

kd4efm

The boot time is also a problem, forgot to list that one...thanks Jay911. CPU speed is not a problem on my computer. The dual band radio we've got has 2 heads so the boot time is twice as long. Maybe your experience provides you with the ability to work with the D1 software; but for less experienced programmers the software is unwieldy and I advise the selection of an alternative model Kenwood radio that does not require D1N.
The radio tech from our vendor had pure hell installing the software with multiple calls direct to his contact at Kenwood/EFJohnson support to get it operational.
I have no idea what you mean by: 'Just d hi mp it on where you need it, activate it on and when it you need it.' and I imagine a new user of it won't either. It can't be just copied to another computer..it has to be re-registered, which then deactivates it on the first computer.
This is just my opinion and recommendation to the original thread...good luck whatever radio you choose.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Armada is a superior platform. Kenwood needs to port this over to the NX series. I have a VP5430 and Armada is a BREEZE compared to KPG-D1NK. None of this B.S. of licensing either. Even APX CPS (currently) does not require you to license it to a machine. What if you're at a remote site and need to load it quickly to touch a batch of radios, you know, like at the scene of wiildfire where you might not have WAN available to download anything?

The NX platform is a great product, it needs ARMADA. Seriously. Kenwood bought EF Johnson for a reason. Don't be like those guys and waste the great stuff they have. The template/codeplug concept is the BEST THING EVER for radio programming/management. Hello Kenwood,you already have your solution...

Status
Not open for further replies.