• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood NX-200 Programming Failing

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshkeywood

I have a Kenwood NX-200 K that I am attempting to program with the KPG-111D software. When I try to read, write or test mode the radio, I get a message that says "check model and market code".

I then clicked on model and made sure it was set to Nx-200 k and made sure the frequency was correct, but it continues to give the same message. I have tried everything and I can not get it to work.

The radio screen says "unprogram", this is a used radio I purchased. Am I missing something or can someone give me insight on how to fix this.

racingfan360

I think this is the sign of an incompatibility between firmware on the radio and version of KPG software.

To check the version of firmware on the NX200, press and hold in the uppermost of the two small buttons on the left side of the radio as you switch it on. It'll display the firmware details on screen.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If it is a firmware issue, you'll need to update to a firmware level compatible with your software.

This might be fine, but if you are running an older version of software and you want to keep things like wide band FM, you will have to find someone who has an archived copy of one of the 2.xx or 3.xx firmware packages. Kenwood doesn't offer it anymore in the US. You can update to the latest firmware and KPG software and purchase a "W" license to allow wideband programming, but you should only do that if you have a very specific need for wideband and have the FCC license to back that up.

This could also be a market version issue. Getting a radio from an overseas market and trying to program it with US/Canada market software usually results in bonkage.

What is the exact model number of the radio and what are the first 4 digits of the serial number?
The firmware is the radio running?
What version of KPG-111 are you using? Did you purchase it from a Kenwood dealer or "find" it on the web?
What brand/model programming cable are you using? Kenwood OEM, or an after market cable?

The display showing "unprogrammed" is what they'll show new from the factory. Could be it is a new/old stock radio. Could be it had the original programming info from the factory pushed back into it. It could be the original owner just blanked everything out and put in a channel marked "unprogrammed".

joshkeywood

If it is a firmware issue, you'll need to update to a firmware level compatible with your software.

This might be fine, but if you are running an older version of software and you want to keep things like wide band FM, you will have to find someone who has an archived copy of one of the 2.xx or 3.xx firmware packages. Kenwood doesn't offer it anymore in the US. You can update to the latest firmware and KPG software and purchase a "W" license to allow wideband programming, but you should only do that if you have a very specific need for wideband and have the FCC license to back that up.

This could also be a market version issue. Getting a radio from an overseas market and trying to program it with US/Canada market software usually results in bonkage.

What is the exact model number of the radio and what are the first 4 digits of the serial number?
The firmware is the radio running?
What version of KPG-111 are you using? Did you purchase it from a Kenwood dealer or "find" it on the web?
What brand/model programming cable are you using? Kenwood OEM, or an after market cable?

The display showing "unprogrammed" is what they'll show new from the factory. Could be it is a new/old stock radio. Could be it had the original programming info from the factory pushed back into it. It could be the original owner just blanked everything out and put in a channel marked "unprogrammed".

Answers to all the questions...

Kenwood NX 200 - K
Serial Number : B4990021
Firmware : 4.73.00
KPG-111D Version : 2.80
Sundely Programming Cable for NX 200/300.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
You need to update your KPG-111 software to version 4.40 or higher. The 4.73 radio firmware is pretty new. 4.75 is the latest and was released in January of 2015, so that is either a fairly new radio, or someone updated the firmware recently.
The software version you have (2.80) is pretty old and is not compatible with the newer firmware.

To get an updated version of the software, you can try calling Kenwood tech support. They'll want the software key that came with the software disk when you purchased it. If you don't have that, you'll need to purchase the software from a dealer.

joshkeywood

Just to anyone else who finds this thread, the issue has been resolved.

It was a version issue with the Programming software. I ordered the 4.70 software and it solved the issue. Kenwood NX 200 is now programmed and working.

Thanks everyone above for your knowledge and help!

racingfan360

Likewise, glad to hear you got this resolved. And thanks for letting everyone know: that way many more people get to solve their own issues more quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.