• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood NX 5000 DMR

Status
Not open for further replies.

slapshot0017

I don't know if it has been confirmed or if it was more speculation, but I did some searching and found this today.

Portable
Mobile

"The radio platform is ready for DMR / 5-tone
Software for these features will follow"

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I don't know if it has been confirmed or if it was more speculation, but I did some searching and found this today.

Portable
Mobile

"The radio platform is ready for DMR / 5-tone
Software for these features will follow"

When this radio family first started being talked about I'd heard rumors from some reliable sources inside Kenwood that DMR was a possibility. The vocoder (AMBE+2) is already in there for P25 and NXDN, so adding DMR is just a case of updating the firmware to support it.
When the radio finally hit the market I stopped hearing that rumor, but it's sort of popped up recently.
Kenwood has also recently released DMR radios in the USA, so they are entering the market.

This radio family is doing pretty well. It's reasonably priced. You can purchase them with analog and NXDN/NexEdge and not the P25 license, so that saves some money. P25 can be added at a later time if desired. This makes it nice for those agencies that are purchasing with federal grants, as the radio meets the requirements to be p25 capable, but you are not required to purchase the P25 license.
With the mobiles you can do a 3 RF deck with one or two control heads. Makes it possible to have a VHF, UHF and 700/800MHz on a single control head. Yeah, I know others already do this, but the prices are pretty high.

Just got an NX-5700 at work and finally got my programming software license yesterday. I'm considering purchasing an NX-5400 800MHz portable for use at work if I've got money in my budget at the end of the year. Thinking of a 5700 for my personal truck, too.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
When this radio family first started being talked about I'd heard rumors from some reliable sources inside Kenwood that DMR was a possibility. The vocoder (AMBE+2) is already in there for P25 and NXDN, so adding DMR is just a case of updating the firmware to support it.
When the radio finally hit the market I stopped hearing that rumor, but it's sort of popped up recently.
Kenwood has also recently released DMR radios in the USA, so they are entering the market.

This radio family is doing pretty well. It's reasonably priced. You can purchase them with analog and NXDN/NexEdge and not the P25 license, so that saves some money. P25 can be added at a later time if desired. This makes it nice for those agencies that are purchasing with federal grants, as the radio meets the requirements to be p25 capable, but you are not required to purchase the P25 license.
With the mobiles you can do a 3 RF deck with one or two control heads. Makes it possible to have a VHF, UHF and 700/800MHz on a single control head. Yeah, I know others already do this, but the prices are pretty high.

Just got an NX-5700 at work and finally got my programming software license yesterday. I'm considering purchasing an NX-5400 800MHz portable for use at work if I've got money in my budget at the end of the year. Thinking of a 5700 for my personal truck, too.

The fact Kenwood has the option two with a simple firmware update (and it is much more likely they would over say Motorola) is what makes the rumor's so hard hitting. While they'll probably never do it...it does give them a cost advantage by being able to obtain federal funding while remaining P25 capable but using the much lower cost NXDN system.

slapshot0017

I am just a huge fan of Kenwood and what they're doing because now you don't get forced to buy Motorola. Kenwood does the same things and maybe even better! Very impressed and excited about this radio. Picking up a 5200 soon and if this DMR addition becomes official its goodbye moto hello Kenwood family!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Our PD switched from Motorola XTS2500's to Kenwood NX-210's about 2 years ago. I've received a lot of comments about the better audio. They've been really happy with the TK-5710's we installed for mobiles. We just got the NX-5700 in and I'm waiting for a new laptop so I can program it.
I'm still happy with my own personal Motorola gear, but I've just about switched 100% from Motorola to Kenwood here at work. Much better customer support, at least from the local guys.

catch

DMR is no rumor!
Kenwood Germany announced officially adding DMR to the NX5000 series during 2016 on the Cologne "PMR Expo" a few month ago.
It will be just a firmware update and DMR of course a chargeable option like P25 oder Bluetooth.

shmget

Did they give any information on their timetable for releasing it?

I have to say, the NX-300 and the NX-5000 series are the best radios I've ever used.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Now that Kenwood is unleashing their low end DMR radio (TK-D740HV/840HU) in the USA I would think the NX-5000 series is not far behind to be upgraded. But maybe they want to test the market with a low tier radio first.

Stephen

They are nice radios, though at a conference recently a former Motorola sales person who now works for Kenwood admitted that there are some practices that Kenwood seems to be following Motorola in. The first is the software, Kenwood use to supply a user with the software in most instance, that is no longer the case one must now buy a license for the software. He also believes that after the release of some of these new features you will see some prices increase and before to long, I do not believe the difference is going to be as noticeable as it currently is.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
They are nice radios, though at a conference recently a former Motorola sales person who now works for Kenwood admitted that there are some practices that Kenwood seems to be following Motorola in. The first is the software, Kenwood use to supply a user with the software in most instance, that is no longer the case one must now buy a license for the software. He also believes that after the release of some of these new features you will see some prices increase and before to long, I do not believe the difference is going to be as noticeable as it currently is.

Yeah, the new software licensing is a pain.
New features, like DMR, will be a "licensed" option, so I doubt it'll increase the base cost.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber

And this is very unfortunate. Kenwood would be smart to not go down that road as they will likely push customers away instead of gaining more income as they are, apparently, thinking they will.

Stephen

I do not see the base cost really rising that much, but I do see the licensing option increasing. Motorola has begun to do this in a couple of their DMR radios, where the radio is analog only unless you pay for the option. That seems to be a bigger trend over all to get customers to buy radios and I say that in reference to most manufacturers including Uniden scanners. You buy the radio and a cheaper cost so, and if you want options well you pay for entitlement keys.

catch

Did they give any information on their timetable for releasing it?

I have to say, the NX-300 and the NX-5000 series are the best radios I've ever used.

No they didn't, they were actually very carefull not to cause any confusion about a alledged release date. All they said is during 2016 and I take it for granted because one of my best friends is a Kenwood official.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
DMR and the NX-5000? YES. (I eat my words)

1) Kenwood is going to announce at IWCE the Mid-Tier DMR line up. (reliable source)

2) Kenwood is not stating, but has started the R&D phase of the firmware and software for DMR to be
inserted into the NX-5000 line. (IT IS NOT CONFIRMED, but is being discussed) SO IT IS ALLEGED
that the populating of NX-5000's with DMR "LICENSING" and "FIRMWARE" to take place 2017-18.

I STATE ALLEGEDLY!

3) Kenwood's NX-5000 line and DMR will be "ETSI" Tier 2 & 3 compliant. (NO not Batwings protocols, ETSI)

4) The full keypad / display MID-Tier DMR Kenwood's talked about, look for it late 3rd or 4th quarter releases,
UHF, then VHF. Mid-Tier being display models. No, I did NOT hear anything that relates to 800 Mhz models.
Just VHF and UHF at this time, and this allegedly also includes the x20 series of mobiles <chassis>
(like TKD-720/820)

*NOTE: it is allegedly stated that the DMR mode of the NX-5000 will be like that of Hytera's Tier 3,
Power off the radio, hold the menu button, power up, select "DMR MODE" from the boot menu
(where you firmware update from) and that is how the radio shifts into DMR mode. ALLEGEDLY.
It may or MAY NOT be in the same zone like it is now,

NXDN, NXDN Mixed Mode, P-25, P-25 Mixed Mode, P-25 Phase 1 & 2 Trunking, Analog.

IT COULD BE AT SOME POINT, but not on the initial release of this.

I can neither confirm nor deny this, but I said what I had to say. I on another Kenwood thread,
I said Kenwood would never put DMR in the NX-5000's, therefore, I eat my words, as promised.
What I have typed here tonight, has merit. I was doubtful, but I was re-directed in my thoughts today
when I was told, yes, DMR and the NX-5000 series will come.
I have also seen a photo of the Mid-Tier Kenwood DMR radio, and on good word, heard that
the "nx-5000 platform will be the Premium Multi Function with DMR platform".
Sorry, I can not provide proof of this photo, but I did see it.

Search Kenwood Europe for the TKD-300 and you
will get the idea of the display likeness of it with full keypad.
(there is a ham in the Central US who has purchased one from over-seas who
if I recall, posted a photo of it somewhere in the kenwood forum).

Look for these items at IWCE2016.

(makes me want to go now, even though I can't afford to go)

EFM

Last edited:

catch

Reboot to get into DMR mode?
I was told that DMR will be implemented like P25 etc.. That means, you can just toggle through your channels from analog over nexedge to P25 and DMR in one session.

slapshot0017

Just a quick question. Has anyone done any testing with out of band in these radios?

The only issue I have with getting a 5300 is that it only has part of the band while my Motorola has the whole band.

I know that my TK 5320 would do about 10 Meg's safely or even more if I really wanted to push it, but mainly for receiving purposes not transmitting.

So I am wondering if this radio will follow suit or did they do what Motorola did with the apx series and lock the vco...

Status
Not open for further replies.