• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood NX-5000 problems, lacks, suggestions and improvements

Status
Not open for further replies.

n9vjw

I couldn't agree more. I'm still learning the software and Evans has been very helpful with the hardware. I didn't learn the XTS,XTL, XPR, etc etc overnight either...

RK3AAG

I couldn't agree more. I'm still learning the software and Evans has been very helpful with the hardware. I didn't learn the XTS,XTL, XPR, etc etc overnight either...
Who told you that he is NOT helpful? Who and where? You just made it up. I am talking about absolutely other things. He will not dig deep and talk about it, he will no disclose anything, ne will not criticise Kenwood, etc.For me (and for me ONLY), this is not a contact that could be useful.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Folks, I don't think there's anything to be gained by discussing Evans' performance as a Kenwood dealer in this thread. The original intent of this thread was to discuss NX-5000 problems and suggestions for improvement. Let's stay on topic.

PeterGV

K1PGV
I’m still trying to understand the true state of the radio and it’s performance.

I hear N3AAG saying “It has serious issues” ... I heard several people saying “Listen to KD4EFM”... OK... but I haven’t HEARD anything from EFM (here or privately).

My original questions still stand. So far, I haven’t heard anybody pipe up here and say “Yes, this radio is ready for prime time and will do what you described and there’s no reason you shouldn’t buy one.”

So, I’m still genuinely confused. Are AAG and EFM the only two guys who have one of these radios? Or do other people have the, and... just don’t want to get involved.

Peter
K1PGV

ohiohonda

I’m still trying to understand the true state of the radio and it’s performance.

I hear N3AAG saying “It has serious issues” ... I heard several people saying “Listen to KD4EFM”... OK... but I haven’t HEARD anything from EFM (here or privately).

My original questions still stand. So far, I haven’t heard anybody pipe up here and say “Yes, this radio is ready for prime time and will do what you described and there’s no reason you shouldn’t buy one.”

So, I’m still genuinely confused. Are AAG and EFM the only two guys who have one of these radios? Or do other people have the, and... just don’t want to get involved.

Peter
K1PGV

Not sure what you mean by "prime time" but many departments have these radios in mission critical applications. The radio is supported by the manufacture and documented problems that can be duplicated have been or are being corrected. There are some in this thread that do not like how timely bugs in the software / firmware get resolved or that it is not documented what was resolved when new firmare is released.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Not sure what you mean by "prime time" but many departments have these radios in mission critical applications. The radio is supported by the manufacture and documented problems that can be duplicated have been or are being corrected. There are some in this thread that do not like how timely bugs in the software / firmware get resolved or that it is not documented what was resolved when new firmare is released.
The other "mission critical" manufacturers regularly publish revision notes so that users can recognise what bugs existed or have been fixed.

Ham radio users are the unicorns that need P25 and DMR in same radio AND exercise all of the feature options. So not surprising there could be some bugs in a radio sharing both features.

However reading comments about analog features like pre or de emphasis not working, or random radio OS resets definately raises some eyebrows.

Kenwood could put this to rest by adressing comments raised here on official letterhead, not via a third party dealer.

Some of us are hams, but also recommend equipment in our day jobs. The prospect of a multi mode radio is exciting.

I am hoping to learn that Kenwood radios are well supported by the factory engineers.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Guys I am here, I am monitoring but right now, knee deep with alot of work and contracts.

Prime time use, the answer is this, there are close to 300,000+ radios out there, and The hams (us) make up some number close to 3 or 400. Each time there is a burp, I am pretty much into the thick of it, and talking to long beach, taking time away from my duties to pass on the things here. It does not effect all users either.

Is this easy? No. I am right now dealing with another dmr bug in 2.31 with site roaming. I have to do thankless hours of stuff to validate and submitt it back, and then Japan gets involved.

I'm not a ghost, just very busy right now.
Thanks for the kind words too guys.

Here is the key thing about this, each person will get different results in different ways. You're going to get different results also. (Forgot already who user was that asked about prime use) I back it, I talk it, and I walk it.

I will advise when I hear anything on the site roaming issue I am having when I can.

EFM

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
One thing I find interesting is that many people on these forums are the ones that discover these ‘bugs’ and it’s not just limited to Kenwood. I can tell you when Unication released their new firmware, I discovered several bugs in two days of use and abuse. As a manufacturer, why not tap into these people as beta testers. If I can locate these issues in two days of use, how are these bugs not being caught? That shows me a lack a proper testing before releasing firmware updates. Again, not just knocking Kenwood as I’ve seen this with other manufacturers. I am very much interested in getting a NX-5700 and 5800 due to analog, P25 and DMR all in one radio.

KD4EFM is a voice. He pushed issues from people on these forums when they are identified. That says a lot from a dealer that isn’t YOUR dealer. He doesn’t just care about HIS customer base, he cares about the product he sells, period.

N3AAG is someone that finds ‘bugs’ and brings it to others attention. That helps people make decisions on whether or not they want to buy a certain product with knowledge of its potential limitations. We should be working together, not bashing either of them. We are all public safety users, or hams, or hobbyists with the same overall end goal...having a great product that suits our needs. Let’s stop the bashing and work together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeterGV

K1PGV
Thank you, everyone.

TL;DR
I’m going to pass on buying an NX-5000. I’ll come back to re-examine the radio in a year or two, and maybe there’ll be more of a community and some of the ham-use bugs will be worked out.

Long version:

Just like Moto, the manufacturers don’t tap us as beta testers because they don’t care much about our use cases. They care about their target market, and they generally have their hands full fixing stuff and adding features to get/keep big contracts/departments on board. I don’t fault the manufacturers for this. When it comes down to it, they’d mostly prefer us hams to go away. For example, years back Moto made it REALLY hard for hams to buy their CPS software.

What I’ve learned so far is that the biggest difference between having an XTS/XTL/APX and having an NX-5000 is the size, organization, and cooperation of the ham user community. If you have a question about installing or programming or using your APX, there are a zillion folks who will willingly help you. You want your radio updated, tested, aligned, or fixed? There’s a pile of online friends who’ll be happy to have you send them your radio (some of these guys are legit, some of them are doing your radio on their boss’s time or with their department’s iButton that “has a few extra flashes left”, but whatever... there’s a lot of help). You want an accessory, or a used part? There are a ton of folks who can sell it to you.

In addition, what I’m hearing (here and in the PMs I’ve received) is that the radio has some issues for use in the scenarios frequently used by hams. I’ve learned the community has an advocate in Evans, which is great, but he’s one guy who’s dedicated but who does this in the spirit of ham brotherhood.

So... bottom line... as a result of all the feedback I’ve gotten, I’m going to pass on buying An NX-5000. I’ll come back to re-examine the radio in a year or two, and maybe there’ll be more of a community and some of the ham-use bugs will be worked out.

Thank you to all. Your time in helping me come to this decision is much appreciated.

Peter
K1PGV

ndejohn

Premium Subscriber
I'm gonna throw my two cents in; whether it will do any good or not, I don't know.

I have been a Motorola user for years now. About a year ago, I switched to Kenwood with the release of the Kenwood NX Series. What drew me to the Kenwood line was the fact that I could do conventional, P25 and DMR all in one radio; something Motorola hasn't done yet. I purchased the NX-5700/NX-5800 dual band, in the single full featured control head.

Overall, I am very impressed with the operations of the radio. I am still learning tricks of the trade as they relate to Kenwood. As with anything, there are somethings I miss from Motorola that Kenwood does not do and vice versa. I use this radio for both personal and business. I have customers with UHF DMR systems and customers with UHF P25 systems. This radio allows me to do all of that, without having to have several different radios. For me to do this with Motorola, I would have to have 4 different radios.

Now, Kenwood has done some work to the radio with firmware updates and software updates. Some things have changed for the better and for the worse. These things take time. The one and only thing I am struggling with is the DMR roaming feature. Other than that, things are going well. I have made a couple of recommendations to Evans and he has been instrumental in helping out with things. I have sent him copies of my codeplugs so he could take a look and make some recommendations.

What I am finding now is that I have to tweak some audio settings and play around with little things here and there to get the radio where I want it. I still learning the Kenwood way as well. What you can't beat, is one control head that does it all. My radio is set up to add a third band. My intention is to add an 7/800 band next year.

In conclusion, I don't know if this helps anyone out with making the decision to purchase this radio. I took a shot and I am very satisfied. I do miss little things with my Motorola, but I think it is because I am so use to Motorola.

If anyone has any questions for me, please PM me and I will do my best to answer them.

Thanks,
Nick

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Thank you, everyone.

TL;DR
I’m going to pass on buying an NX-5000. I’ll come back to re-examine the radio in a year or two, and maybe there’ll be more of a community and some of the ham-use bugs will be worked out.

Long version:

Just like Moto, the manufacturers don’t tap us as beta testers because they don’t care much about our use cases. They care about their target market, and they generally have their hands full fixing stuff and adding features to get/keep big contracts/departments on board. I don’t fault the manufacturers for this. When it comes down to it, they’d mostly prefer us hams to go away. For example, years back Moto made it REALLY hard for hams to buy their CPS software.

What I’ve learned so far is that the biggest difference between having an XTS/XTL/APX and having an NX-5000 is the size, organization, and cooperation of the ham user community. If you have a question about installing or programming or using your APX, there are a zillion folks who will willingly help you. You want your radio updated, tested, aligned, or fixed? There’s a pile of online friends who’ll be happy to have you send them your radio (some of these guys are legit, some of them are doing your radio on their boss’s time or with their department’s iButton that “has a few extra flashes left”, but whatever... there’s a lot of help). You want an accessory, or a used part? There are a ton of folks who can sell it to you.

In addition, what I’m hearing (here and in the PMs I’ve received) is that the radio has some issues for use in the scenarios frequently used by hams. I’ve learned the community has an advocate in Evans, which is great, but he’s one guy who’s dedicated but who does this in the spirit of ham brotherhood.

So... bottom line... as a result of all the feedback I’ve gotten, I’m going to pass on buying An NX-5000. I’ll come back to re-examine the radio in a year or two, and maybe there’ll be more of a community and some of the ham-use bugs will be worked out.

Thank you to all. Your time in helping me come to this decision is much appreciated.

Peter
K1PGV

Peter, understand, I also use these for my business use on a daily basis too, so I may be biased by name, but I also will be quick to tell about the down side as well. Not only do I have a respond to just here, but I also respond to those who protect life and safety. As to the ham side, i have worked side by side with those who have built out the HAM NXDN network. So yes, I have worked behind all the hopla with these radios, starting with the NX-x00 series. I am concerned that you may have gotten some good information, but also some mis-leading information as well. I am all up to hearing from you and talking more about this with you.
The DMR aspect has some work to be done to it, especially the FPP side, but it is being adjusted and worked on at Kenwood.

My opinion, get 1 mobile and build as you go.

Syntor-X9K

I was told it's coming.
With the retirement of the TK-x90 series radios, including the TK-690, it leaves the TK6110 as the only low band radio.
Since California Highway Patrol is a big Kenwood Low Band customer, and CHP won't be moving off low band, they have a good business case to produce a modern low band radio. It was a while back I asked, but I didn't get a hard date. I think you'll see something in the next year.
Along with high power NX-5000 mobile decks. 100 Watt VHF/UHF decks are coming.

Are you sure the TK-690H is EOL. Not good as Moto bought Vertex and has EOL the VX-6000L. I work with an entity that uses Low Band and I cant seem to get them concerned (do a last buy for example).

Last edited:

Syntor-X9K

An update. I'm told our P25 around here is narrow band. So this is less of a problem.

I am still on the fence on this radio. I feel there a huge risk do to its cost benefit balance...

Anyone know of a head mount that would allow one handed moving of the head up and down, but is stable. If I installed the advanced head, it will block things on the dash, such as the BCB Radio/ CD player or the vents. I need to be able to move it easily.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
An update. I'm told our P25 around here is narrow band. So this is less of a problem.

I am still on the fence on this radio. I feel there a huge risk do to its cost benefit balance...

Anyone know of a head mount that would allow one handed moving of the head up and down, but is stable. If I installed the advanced head, it will block things on the dash, such as the BCB Radio/ CD player or the vents. I need to be able to move it easily.
Ever think of the kch21? HHCH

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
I think the regular control head would fit better. How tall is it?
It's about like this.
35e3b646c1b5fcf352d948d4dd288d38.jpg

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Are you sure the TK-690H is EOL. Not good as Moto bought Vertex and has EOL the VX-6000L. I work with an entity that uses Low Band and I cant seem to get them concerned (do a last buy for example).

They haven't been EOL'd yet, but it's coming.
You can still purchase the TK-690, 790 and 890 mobiles, but their days are numbered.

The TK-6110 is still available, as the TK-190 portable, too.

However, the TK-x90 line isn't long for this world. Analog only radios are going away, slowly. The features on the x90's make them less attractive, especially when compared to the TK-5710, 5810, etc.

I've talked to my Kenwood rep about what the plans are, and what he said was what I passed on above:
4 RF deck capability for the NX-5x00 mobiles.
High power NX-5x00 mobiles, 100 watt UHF/VHF, 35 watt 800.
Low Band NX-5x00 (probably the NX-5600) coming, and I suspect that will be built on the high power chassis.

Kenwood tends to give some notice when they are going to EOL something. They just released their last product life update back on December 7th. Their latest (December) price guide still lists the TK-190, 690, 790 and 890 as being available.

If I was in the market, I'd probably hold off on buying 690's unless I really needed them. I had to buy a bunch of high power VHF mobiles a while back, and while the lower cost of the TK-790 was attractive, we finally chose the TK-5710's just to be prepared to any future P25 roll outs.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

If you are talking about the Monterey County System, I think you are correct.
I attended a presentation a few months back with several of the Fire Departments from Monterey County. I was invited by the local Kenwood factory Rep.

They were not showing the NX-5000 radios for that system, instead they had the EF Johnson VP line of radios. They had them "approved" for use on the county system. Most of the agencies there were not fans of the Motorola's, partly due to price being an issue for some of the smaller departments. They seemed to be leaning towards the EFJ's for their future plans.

For the record, EF Johnson is offering a "Viking-ized" version of the NX-5000 radios. No NXDN, but analog and P25.

Status
Not open for further replies.