• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood NX-5000 problems, lacks, suggestions and improvements

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
How about adding the priority scan LED function to the mobiles? Right now it's only available for portables.

Like we talked about earlier, I will bring that up to kenwood. Even at IWCE when I get a chance to.

RK3AAG

Not a lack as such, but vice versa, +1 for Kenwood. Their RSSI meter (Maintenance menu) is very precise. Error is 0 or 1 dB as maximum in 80..120 dBm range. It's good for coverage tests and locating some unauthorized transmitters. But range would be wider, up to -50 or better (as competitors). I will add such line in my list.

RK3AAG

Another strong side of NX5000 is their sensitivity. Just did a test of a bunch of radios with Anritsu lab grade generator.

NX5K radios shows sensitivity near -120..121 dBm. This result this is very close to the most sensitive radios on the market - MotoTRBO radios. I am not a fan of MotoTRBO at all, but it’s a fact that they all not worse than -121 and sometimes even -124.

NX5K’s SQL have 4 dB wide hysteresis.

jwtaylor

Back to Audio Quality Issues

Hi All,
I landed on this thread while looking for options to address audio quality issues I am finding with the NX-5200 mobile. I'll add some information below, but if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions I'd be glad to hear them.

I am testing the NX-5000 series in an all-analog environment where they have to perform similarly to the Motorola APX series. There is a difference in audio quality with the NX, certainly less high frequency content in the audio as compared to the APX. As other users have noted, the equalizer function does not appear to work for analog transmissions, the only options to make any changes to audio quality seem to be:
1) Changing Audio Profile > Microphone Type
2) Changing the microphone

I tested the KMC-35 mic against the KMC-27B mic and the 27B is somewhere better, but not as good as the APX. The radio is running firmware v2.50 and KPG-D1N is also v2.50.

I also took a long shot and tried a CDM1250 mic with the NX, since they both use the same RJ45, but the wiring was not the same.

Not to knock Kenwood at all, I really like many of the design choices made with these radios and the RF performance is every bit as good as the APX which costs a ton more. I also found the NX portable with the KMC-54WD mic is clearly superior to the APX portable with the standard speaker mic. And my dealer has been awesome to work with.

If anyone has any thoughts I'd appreciate hearing them. Thanks!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
What are you using on the other end to compare the audio? In other words, what is your receiving radio?

If it's Motorola, make sure the companders are shut off.

Also, making sure you are running the latest firmware on the radio and KPG-1 would be a good idea.

I'm running a few NX-5700's at our PD and the audio sounds pretty good. EQ settings worked for us, at least they seemed to.

jwtaylor

It's a Motorola APX that I am receiving with. The compander ("HearClear") is disabled. The Rx de-emphasis is on.

Are you using the NX5700's in an all-analog mode?

Colton25

It's much appreciated that Kenwood fixed the tactical zone scan issues and i like how they added a tactical zone scan tab in the software. It would be awesome to have a dedicated zone within the software like the 89D software has. This way you can name the zone making it much easier to see that your in the tactical zone. Currently the only way to tell your in the tactical zone is by the T shown at the top of the display. Plus channels in the tactical zone display the zone name the channel originates from which isn't really helpful just makes it more confusing in my opinion. Displaying the tactical zone name with the added channel names would reduce confusion.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
It's much appreciated that Kenwood fixed the tactical zone scan issues and i like how they added a tactical zone scan tab in the software. It would be awesome to have a dedicated zone within the software like the 89D software has. This way you can name the zone making it much easier to see that your in the tactical zone. Currently the only way to tell your in the tactical zone is by the T shown at the top of the display. Plus channels in the tactical zone display the zone name the channel originates from which isn't really helpful just makes it more confusing in my opinion. Displaying the tactical zone name with the added channel names would reduce confusion.
I will take a look, may be a simple setting.
Menu, display, display type, and change.

I know 89d has that.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

jwtaylor

Back to Audio Quality Issues, Part 2

For anyone the finds this thread and is looking for help with NX audio issues, I have worked into a solution that make the NX nearly as good as the APX.

Here is what I concluded are the audio quality factors:
1) Users that produce a lot of breath when they talk speaking directly into the mic - microphone buffeting;
2) The lack of a "pre-emphasis" function that Motorola has in their radios;
3) The lack of auto gain control.

I systematically tried numerous configurations and found this gets the audio almost to match the APX:
1) NX mobile: use a KMC-27B microphone and select the "Mic2" setting
2) NX portable: use a KMC-54WD speaker mic, with Mic1 and Speaker1 settings

It would appear - on the mobile - that Mic2 introduces a high pass filter, which almost eliminates the effect of the breath buffeting. The KMC-35 mic ships standard, but the performance clearly was not as good.

I have audio samples if anyone is interested.

These are robust radios, it just takes effort to get them configured optimally.

pdupont

Thank you jwtaylor for your recommendation of the KMC-27B and "Mic2" setting. I received negative feedback with the stock microphone on the NX-5800. The new mic, which can be purchased new for less than $50, made a huge improvement.

VK4QF

Hi Guys
Just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for getting a NX-5700 to do conventional analogue mobile voting... I cant seem to find any reference to it, does the NX line do analogue voting ?

Thanks for your help...

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Does not, that's currently a p25 only feature.

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
I was trying to get KAS-10 working with the Nx5700, i couldn't figure out where in the settings to get it to communicate with the radio. however while i was adjusting settings in the CPS, The KMC-36 microphone no longer lights up when plugged in. It works otherwise. I tested on a NX-820H, and it worked and light up. Any one else run into this?

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
I was trying to get KAS-10 working with the Nx5700, i couldn't figure out where in the settings to get it to communicate with the radio. however while i was adjusting settings in the CPS, The KMC-36 microphone no longer lights up when plugged in. It works otherwise. I tested on a NX-820H, and it worked and light up. Any one else run into this?
When you change the aux settings of the db25, it will turn off the front mic. In the kas10 folder, you will find nxX00 codeplugs to go by. The 57/5800 db25 pin outs are all the same. You need to set both mic1 and mic2 to enable.

otobmark

Premium Subscriber
NX5300 Audio issue with Bluetooth
I was using a BT earpiece (plantronics) and after I turned off the earpiece I eventually noticed the radio was receiving traffic but the speaker was silent. I turned off BT in radio and still no audio. I then power cycled the radio and speaker once again worked. Point being I could have missed critical traffic. I had my radio set to light up display upon receiving traffic so I finally noticed the situation. If I had not set display to light up I would have probably never noticed what was going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.