• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajfollas

I have a Kenwood tk-790 with a tk-890 control head. It receives people talking and I can hear them, but when i want to transmit back it dosen't transmit even though the tx light comes on. I tested this by having a scanner on the same channel I was trying to transmit on. I am fairly new to radios and don't know what to do. I have a programming cable and software if that helps, Thanks!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I have a Kenwood tk-790 with a tk-890 control head. It receives people talking and I can hear them, but when i want to transmit back it dosen't transmit even though the tx light comes on. I tested this by having a scanner on the same channel I was trying to transmit on. I am fairly new to radios and don't know what to do. I have a programming cable and software if that helps, Thanks!

Probably the best place to start with all this is the basics.

1. Where are you located (generally, city, state/province, etc)
2. Are you licensed to transmit on these frequencies? Do you have a valid license for any radio service?
3. Who is it you are trying to talk to?

ajfollas

Im not liscensed actually, that would be the problem. But out of curiosity what would you have to do to become liscensed.

ajfollas

I have a Kenwood tk-790 and was wondering if it could be programmed to be a ham radio to pick up the normal cb channels.

cmdrwill

I have a Kenwood tk-790 and was wondering if it could be programmed to be a ham radio to pick up the normal cb channels.

Your TK790 would probably be able to be programmed with Receive only Ham frequencies in the SAME band as the TK790's band. So one would need more information on your radio's 'band'. TK790 radios come in different bands.

"CB channels" are not the same as Ham frequencies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

OK, North Carolina,
So that puts you under the Federal Communications Commission.
There are not any frequencies you can use that radio on that do not require an FCC license.

About the best you can do is to get your amateur radio license.
The TK-790 comes in a few models, frequencies are 148-174MHz or theres a 136-156MHz version. Ideally you'd want the 136-156 so you can use it on the 2 meter amateur radio band (144-148MHz), although I believe it's possible to trick the higher split model into working lower.

It will not receive on the CB radio band, it's physically not capable to make it work on those frequencies (26-27MHz).

So, a couple of options….
Sell the radio and use the proceeds to buy a CB radio of your choosing. That'll get you something legal that you can use on the CB bands.
or.
Get your amateur radio license and find someone to program the radio with amateur radio frequencies. The technician class license isn't hard to get, but finding someone to program the radio might be a challenge.

cmdrwill

I have a programming cable and software

ajfollas, make sure you have your radio programmed for Receive Only until you get your license.

Maybe mmc can help with programming questions as he is the Kwoodie expert........

westcoaster

Sounds like the transmit frequency could be different than the receive frequency...

It also sounds like you are new to radio with the way you have been mixing up some of the terminology.

As unappealing as "get your license" may sound, there are courses and tests for amateur radio that can be quite beneficial in gaining some fundamental knowledge.
I took a course at my local amateur club, they ran through the course material, hosted the test and submitted for the call sign. I also received a one year membership in the club as part of the course fee. Your local club may have something similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.