• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood TK-3312 Programming Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Methus

Hello all,

I just bought my first Kenwood today (and, in general, my first "professional" two-way radio) and was interested in programming some frequencies into it to listen to. From what I have gathered so far, I believe I need a KPG-22 cable (correct me if I'm wrong) to connect the handheld to the computer, but I can't seem to find the software I need in order to actually do the programming. Any help in the matter would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Methus

Methus

Thanks for the info! I had been looking at that one, but I wasn't going to commit until I had someone with more knowledge back it up. I went ahead and ordered it and it should be here by Saturday.

markakelley

I have bought some kenwood tk 3312k portables for my fire department and i have the freq's put into the radio. I put the tones and MDC unit id number into the program and it will not show up on our CAD system at the 911 center. When I am on Page I hear all the tones going off throughout the county. Can someone help me.?

* Personal information removed - MikeOxlong *

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:

radio259

tk3312

under MDC1200, the space for data tranmit delay, you may need to go at least 400 ms. Some systems need 500ms. We had this ssue and changed the timing of the ID to be sent, and all is well now.

jim202

under MDC1200, the space for data tranmit delay, you may need to go at least 400 ms. Some systems need 500ms. We had this ssue and changed the timing of the ID to be sent, and all is well now.

Most people don't realize that it takes time for a transmitter to come up to speed sort of. It takes time for the VCO to lock. It takes time for the transmitter to key and make RF. It takes time for the audio to come out the audio chain.

Then you have the other end where it takes time for a receiver to recognize that there is a signal. It takes time for the CTCSS decoder to detect the tone being used and than passing the audio along to the speaker.

If you are using a repeater, you can double the delays because of the receiver in the repeater and the receiver at the dispatch point. Not all dispatch centers have direct wire or microwave to the repeater.

So the delays might not seem much to the average person, but they do take place. It generally takes from 120 to 180 milliseconds for just the CTCSS tone decoder in the receiver to open up and start to pass audio. If your using a control station with a repeater to decode the MDC, then you can double this time delay. Now with some 300 to 400 milliseconds being used up just in the CTCSS decoders opening up the audio path, you can see where the 400 to 500 milliseconds delay comes in on sending paging tones and MDC tones.

If you don't put in this delay, or pre delay as some companies call it, your never going to have good paging audio or decode MDC tones. Try adding 500 milliseconds on the sending the paging tones and MDC tones. See what happens. It's only a 1/2 of a second. You will never notice it and you will be surprised at how well paging and MDC will work.

Let us all know how it worked out and what you did to solve your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.