Kenwood TK-790 - Won't power up

vraho10

Premium Subscriber
Hi all,

I have a TK-790 VHF radio. I was having squelch issues and I noticed that if I connected the mic it would stop. I decided to short out a pin and the radio stopped working.... The mic holder is connected to the power supply (I did not to that). My guess was a grounding issue.

I think I might have blew something up because the radio won't turn on now. Can someone please help me with this. Is their a fuse inside that I might have popped?

Hi all,

I have a TK-790 VHF radio. I was having squelch issues and I noticed that if I connected the mic it would stop. I decided to short out a pin and the radio stopped working
Which pin? Which connector What did you 'short' it to?

.... The mic holder is connected to the power supply (I did not to that). My guess was a grounding issue.
Do you mean the mic hanger was mounted to the case of the power supply?

Is their a fuse inside that I might have popped?
There are internal fuses, but without some details, we would just be guessing.

vraho10

Premium Subscriber
Last edited:
Well I used a wire to connect I think pin 1 may be pin 12 to the mic hanger with is connected to the power supply.
Pin 1 of the mic connector has 12 volts on it. Kenwood calls this "SB", basically it's teh 12 volts that is controlled by the power swtich. If you grounded that to the mic hanger then likely you popped the fuse for the control head power.

Fuse 502, a 1.8 amp chip fuse, is located on the control board, right behind the ribbon connector that goes to the control head.
Kenwood Part Number F53-0108-05
Nothing special about it. You could find a 1.8 or 2 amp fuse of similar size and package and use that.

vraho10

Premium Subscriber