• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood TK 880 blank screen???

Status
Not open for further replies.

codymw623

Premium Subscriber
I need some help with this one. I have a kenwood tk 880-1 uhf 450-490mhz. I recently programmed the radio with my county's frequencies. The radio accepts the code plug with no problem. Now here comes the tricky part. When I go to power off the radio and power it back on it gives me a blank screen with just the Amber light in the background and a small p for priority. The radio displays no text and all the radio button are disabled. The radio will no transmit either. So I rewrote the code plug and retired it again. I powered off the radio and turned it back on again and it worked fine. The radio displayed everything that was programmed into the radio. But unfortunately when I placed the radio into scan mode and power the radio off A's on the same thing happened where it just showed the Amber background light and a small scn for scan. All the buttons where disabled. Now when I go to channel 1 in group 1 and power off the radio and turn it back on it works fine. Is there anyway or can someone give me some advice as why it does this or even how to fix this. I reprogrammed the radio and for right now and it seems to be working but not sure for how long.

Thank you in advance
Cody

wwhitby

Feed Provider
Cody,

If you PM me your email address, I can send you a codeplug that I have for my 880 that works as far as scanning, displaying data on the LCD, and button functions.

Since SCN is showing up on the display while scanning, it doesn't sound like an LCD issue. It sounds like you may need to take a look at how the display is configured in the RSS. the

As far as your buttons, have you checked the key assignment feature to see what keys are assigned to which buttons? Its possible to not assign a function to a button.

codymw623

Premium Subscriber
Ok i tried the different code plugs and i still get an error. i took a picture of the error. I still get the blank screen.

Attachments

• tk 880 error.jpg
    tk 880 error.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 669

sxi

I had a TK880 V1 that the display would just be all yyyyyy's when changing channels and cycling the power off then on. This is this what worked for me to make the radio behave normal. Originally I had programmed with 1 group with a bunch of systems IE repeater channels and simplex channels with in a single group then I reprogrammed one channel per each group and it stopped doing the lock up thing. If your still having that problem give that a try.

sxi

When my radio would lock up it would look just like this

Attachments

• $_57.jpg
    $_57.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 765

n0fwg

Premium Subscriber
When you power the radio up, does it display a ver 1.5xxxx message?

If so it has passport firmware in it, some versions of that firmware has had issues with conventional programing. Would need a firmware reflash

Status
Not open for further replies.